Author Topic: Airwolf YFR068 - 2023 Gravel Frame  (Read 31616 times)

this is dog

Re: Airwolf YFR068 - 2023 Gravel Frame
« Reply #270 on: March 27, 2024, 04:57:43 AM »
So after a few days of arguing Airwolf have agreed on a $50 refund and a new fork.

They are asking me to pay an extra 0.1Usd to create a new order.

Any ideas whether I should do this? Reading online it seems fine as I have received the original order.

Sweet deal, why would you not do it for 0.1USD? Assuming they will cover the shipping costs?

dhengen

« Reply #271 on: March 27, 2024, 03:38:21 PM »
I'm running 160mm rotors with SRAM Force, no adapters needed.

I'm running SRAM Force as well, so this is perfect. Thanks

Avalius

« Reply #272 on: March 28, 2024, 02:57:02 AM »
How did you guys find the balance between over- and under tightening the headset. I seem to have headsetplay but when I tighten it to the point where the play is gone, my steerer isn't moving freely anymore and makes a scratching sound when turning it. I just can't seem to find the sweet spot.

Any tips would be appreciated  :D

Took me a few tries to get that sorted. Slightly overtightened and after one ride it was perfect.

Emraize

« Reply #273 on: April 06, 2024, 02:17:15 PM »
Also dealing with headset issues here. Have sanded the compression nut as shown in the previous posts as it has protruded slightly over the steerer and it was too difficult to get the stem mounted over the nut. Also i had to mount an additional c-ring (self made out of a spacer) on top of the compression ring of the upper headset. Initially the issues seemed to be solved but however after some riding it still seems to get slightly loose.

mikelmtb

« Reply #274 on: April 08, 2024, 02:43:46 AM »
After a lot of adjustments with the headset (couldn´t get the point on which the headset had no play but worked smoothly), top bearing on my bike was broken during a ride. Maybe due to a shim that I installed, wich applied too much load on bearing.
I replaced the headset bearings with the reference for Specialized Tarmac SL7 & SL8, 49.5x40.5x6.5. Now headset is working finally smooth and without any play.

jsiegrist

« Reply #275 on: April 08, 2024, 10:20:34 AM »
Do you know if that works for the top and the bottom?

After a lot of adjustments with the headset (couldn´t get the point on which the headset had no play but worked smoothly), top bearing on my bike was broken during a ride. Maybe due to a shim that I installed, wich applied too much load on bearing.
I replaced the headset bearings with the reference for Specialized Tarmac SL7 & SL8, 49.5x40.5x6.5. Now headset is working finally smooth and without any play.

mikelmtb

« Reply #276 on: April 08, 2024, 10:45:49 AM »
Do you know if that works for the top and the bottom?

Yes, both bearings are the same. I installed both new, "Black Bearing" brand, would say that quality felt much better than the ones supplied with frame.

dhengen

« Reply #277 on: April 17, 2024, 02:49:09 PM »
Well my build is 90% complete. Waiting on some power meter SRAM Force cranks to finish the build. Running some loaner cranks for the time being.

Mixed feelings about this bike. The quality of the paint (see pic of example - it chipped really easily. Has happened in a few locations), issues with the headset plug (as others have noted) and misaligned brake caliper mounts were low points (normal methods for aligning brakes didn't work, needed to really play around to eliminate brake rub). Overall required excessive fiddling to get things right, in my opinion.

The bike rides well enough, but it seems noisy and the wheels I chose are probably too stiff. I can't tell if the noise is the chain/cassette combo? Open to feedback, based on my componenet selection - maybe I'm made some bad choices. Once I get final parts on it, I'll weigh it. I'm not shooting for weight weenie but I think it'll end up light as a result of all that carbon.

Here are the specs:
- SRAM Force AXS brakes and shifters
- SRAM GX AXS rear derailuer (went mullet on this build, good for where I live)
- Garabuk 10-50 cassette
- SRAM Rival cranks with 42T cassette (upgrading to SRAM Force with PM and 44T when it arrives)
- Shimano 160mm ICE-tech rotors
- SRAM GX chain (for now)
- WheelsFar Wheels. 50mm deep, 24mm internals, 30mm external width, DT350 hubs with aero Sapim spokes
- GravelKing SK 43mm tires
- 400mm handlebar and 110mm stem on 58cm frame
- Specialized Power Comp Saddle (not what's on in pic, but have since swapped it out)

Anyone else find specing and building bikes to be almost more fun than riding them?

this is dog

« Reply #278 on: April 18, 2024, 03:23:32 AM »
Anyone else find specing and building bikes to be almost more fun than riding them?

TOTALLY!  ;D Nice looking rig!

Avalius

« Reply #279 on: April 25, 2024, 05:15:16 AM »
TOTALLY!  ;D Nice looking rig!

This. Lol

I have to stop doing this replacing all my bikes every year :o

this is dog

« Reply #280 on: April 28, 2024, 12:49:47 PM »
I'm looking for flared drop bars that works with the d-shaped steerer tube and stem combination that comes with the YFR068 frameset. I'm curious if anyone succeeded finding one.

Emraize

« Reply #281 on: April 28, 2024, 01:17:42 PM »
Somehow i'm still struggling with a bit of headset play:
- the expander sits tight and flush in the steerer tube during and after headset compression
- while mounting and screwing the top cap the resistance gets suddenly pretty high at some point of compressioning. However the handle bar moves still freely to both sides. No rubbing at the frame.
- it seems to be only the upper headset causing this little play.
My suspicicon is that the compression c ring doesn't completely compresses the bearing. Or is it possible that the diameter of the steerer tube is a bit too small for the compression c ring? I'm running out of ideas now and dont know how to solve this analytical…

this is dog

« Reply #282 on: April 28, 2024, 03:41:06 PM »
Somehow i'm still struggling with a bit of headset play:
- the expander sits tight and flush in the steerer tube during and after headset compression
- while mounting and screwing the top cap the resistance gets suddenly pretty high at some point of compressioning. However the handle bar moves still freely to both sides. No rubbing at the frame.
- it seems to be only the upper headset causing this little play.
My suspicicon is that the compression c ring doesn't completely compresses the bearing. Or is it possible that the diameter of the steerer tube is a bit too small for the compression c ring? I'm running out of ideas now and dont know how to solve this analytical…

Did you modified the compression C ring?
https://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,4109.msg56128.html#msg56128

Emraize

« Reply #283 on: April 29, 2024, 12:03:36 AM »

Did you modified the compression C ring?
https://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,4109.msg56128.html#msg56128

i only modified the top of the compression plug/ expander because otherwise the stem would have been impossible to get mounted. i did not modify the c-ring (split ring) sitting on top of the bearing.

mikelmtb

« Reply #284 on: April 29, 2024, 03:33:14 AM »
I'm looking for flared drop bars that works with the d-shaped steerer tube and stem combination that comes with the YFR068 frameset. I'm curious if anyone succeeded finding one.

I installed a Syncros Creston gravel flared carbon bar, cables are internal and has a hole in the stem clamping area to drive hoses through the stem.
3T also has this type of handlebars with hole in the stem clamping area, alu and carbon versions.

Replacing stem is quite more complicated, "C" shape is propietary and only Cervelo has this type of stems. People says that can work with normal round stems, but I wouldn´t risk with that option. So, I kept the original Airwolf stem which is reasonably light.