Author Topic: Airwolf YFR068 - 2023 Gravel Frame  (Read 47970 times)

mikelmtb

Re: Airwolf YFR068 - 2023 Gravel Frame
« Reply #315 on: June 26, 2024, 02:09:58 AM »
Thanks! That's very interesting, and obviously different to OEM Aspero which uses two different sized bearings.

This forum, and this thread, has been so useful, I'd be hitting my head against the wall if I tried to go alone with it.

There are few different things between this frame and OEM Aspero:
- Headset bearings and compression ring are different. Specialized ones can be fitted.
- Rear wheel through axle thread on frame is different. Cervelo has a independent nut and Airwolf thread is built on the frame itself. Same construction as specialized frame.
- Rear derailleur hanger is different. You can install specialized disc frames hanger. I installed a specialized direct mount hanger for the GRX Di2.
- Airwolf frame lacks bottle cage threads on the downside of downtube.
- Airwolf frame lacks frame protectoron on the downtube.
- Airwolf doesn´t provide front brake adaptor that must be fitted if you use different position on front wheel axle (trail mixer). I don´t know if Cervelo adapter would be compatible.

Rest of the frame I think that it is one to one with Aspero.

dhengen

« Reply #316 on: June 26, 2024, 09:30:45 PM »
Yes, exactly this is the part

Did you use both parts? I can't fit the second/smaller ring in with the brake cables, etc. I am still using the original headset bearings.

mikelmtb

« Reply #317 on: June 27, 2024, 03:09:39 AM »
Did you use both parts? I can't fit the second/smaller ring in with the brake cables, etc. I am still using the original headset bearings.

You need to replace also bearings with the ones with specialized measures: 49.5x40.5x6.5.

I think that bearings that come with the frame are 49.5x40x6.5. So, with these bearings  the specialized compression big ring gets deformed to assembly, leaving no space for small ring.
I changed everything to specialized bearings and compression ring because I couldn´t find 49.5x40x6.5 bearings when I got one original broken. Seems that those bearings are propietary to Airwolf.

Definitively, headset works much better with 49.5x40.5x6.5 bearings and specialized compression ring. Rode 2000 kms since replacement and headset didn´t come loose at any time.

mattbchiner

« Reply #318 on: June 27, 2024, 10:41:47 PM »
I received my frame about one month after ordering.

First impressions were pretty good. Exterior - matte black paint. Definitely some overspray on the fork where the bearing interfaces. Haven't checked clearance/final fit yet.

Two of the riv nuts for bottle / top mounts are spinning in the carbon layup - so I can't really use them unless I somehow fix them from the inside (with some resin? will be tough to do).

I used a borescope to check out the insides - looks ok but I'm no engineer. Definitely some strands flying around in there.

The headset cups and bottom bracket cups look... slightly atrocious. But I think it will work ok.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 10:44:44 PM by mattbchiner »

Phaxe

« Reply #319 on: June 27, 2024, 10:55:38 PM »
I received my frame about one month after ordering.

First impressions were pretty good. Exterior - matte black paint. Definitely some overspray on the fork where the bearing interfaces. Haven't checked clearance/final fit yet.

Two of the riv nuts for bottle / top mounts are spinning in the carbon layup - so I can't really use them unless I somehow fix them from the inside (with some resin? will be tough to do).

I used a borescope to check out the insides - looks ok but I'm no engineer. Definitely some strands flying around in there.

The headset cups and bottom bracket cups look... slightly atrocious. But I think it will work ok.

Very interesting. I'm not sure it would pass the Hambini sniff test  ;D

This vid from LT might help with this problem?

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #320 on: June 28, 2024, 01:24:54 AM »

I had this problem on my MTB frame. Just tightening the rivnuts did the trick. But you will probably crack the paint around the rivnut and of course have the risk of cracking the carbon. I had already written off the frame so I was willing to take the risk.

Edit: Just looked at your pictures. Those rivnuts look like they have not been tightened enough. The upper one looks barely expanded...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2024, 01:48:24 AM by TidyDinosaur »

mattbchiner

« Reply #321 on: June 28, 2024, 10:53:10 AM »
Very interesting. I'm not sure it would pass the Hambini sniff test  ;D

What's worse than "Crapvelo" ? This, lol ;D

Also, thanks for the video. Looks great and will probably do this exactly.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2024, 10:55:50 AM by mattbchiner »