Author Topic: Airwolf YFR068 - 2023 Gravel Frame  (Read 60348 times)

mikelmtb

Re: Airwolf YFR068 - 2023 Gravel Frame
« Reply #315 on: June 26, 2024, 02:09:58 AM »
Thanks! That's very interesting, and obviously different to OEM Aspero which uses two different sized bearings.

This forum, and this thread, has been so useful, I'd be hitting my head against the wall if I tried to go alone with it.

There are few different things between this frame and OEM Aspero:
- Headset bearings and compression ring are different. Specialized ones can be fitted.
- Rear wheel through axle thread on frame is different. Cervelo has a independent nut and Airwolf thread is built on the frame itself. Same construction as specialized frame.
- Rear derailleur hanger is different. You can install specialized disc frames hanger. I installed a specialized direct mount hanger for the GRX Di2.
- Airwolf frame lacks bottle cage threads on the downside of downtube.
- Airwolf frame lacks frame protectoron on the downtube.
- Airwolf doesn´t provide front brake adaptor that must be fitted if you use different position on front wheel axle (trail mixer). I don´t know if Cervelo adapter would be compatible.

Rest of the frame I think that it is one to one with Aspero.

dhengen

« Reply #316 on: June 26, 2024, 09:30:45 PM »
Yes, exactly this is the part

Did you use both parts? I can't fit the second/smaller ring in with the brake cables, etc. I am still using the original headset bearings.

mikelmtb

« Reply #317 on: June 27, 2024, 03:09:39 AM »
Did you use both parts? I can't fit the second/smaller ring in with the brake cables, etc. I am still using the original headset bearings.

You need to replace also bearings with the ones with specialized measures: 49.5x40.5x6.5.

I think that bearings that come with the frame are 49.5x40x6.5. So, with these bearings  the specialized compression big ring gets deformed to assembly, leaving no space for small ring.
I changed everything to specialized bearings and compression ring because I couldn´t find 49.5x40x6.5 bearings when I got one original broken. Seems that those bearings are propietary to Airwolf.

Definitively, headset works much better with 49.5x40.5x6.5 bearings and specialized compression ring. Rode 2000 kms since replacement and headset didn´t come loose at any time.

mattbchiner

« Reply #318 on: June 27, 2024, 10:41:47 PM »
I received my frame about one month after ordering.

First impressions were pretty good. Exterior - matte black paint. Definitely some overspray on the fork where the bearing interfaces. Haven't checked clearance/final fit yet.

Two of the riv nuts for bottle / top mounts are spinning in the carbon layup - so I can't really use them unless I somehow fix them from the inside (with some resin? will be tough to do).

I used a borescope to check out the insides - looks ok but I'm no engineer. Definitely some strands flying around in there.

The headset cups and bottom bracket cups look... slightly atrocious. But I think it will work ok.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 10:44:44 PM by mattbchiner »

Phaxe

« Reply #319 on: June 27, 2024, 10:55:38 PM »

First impressions were pretty good. Exterior - matte black paint. Definitely some overspray on the fork where the bearing interfaces. Haven't checked clearance/final fit yet.

Two of the riv nuts for bottle / top mounts are spinning in the carbon layup - so I can't really use them unless I somehow fix them from the inside (with some resin? will be tough to do).

I used a borescope to check out the insides - looks ok but I'm no engineer. Definitely some strands flying around in there.

The headset cups and bottom bracket cups look... slightly atrocious. But I think it will work ok.

Very interesting. I'm not sure it would pass the Hambini sniff test  ;D

This vid from LT might help with this problem?

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #320 on: June 28, 2024, 01:24:54 AM »

I had this problem on my MTB frame. Just tightening the rivnuts did the trick. But you will probably crack the paint around the rivnut and of course have the risk of cracking the carbon. I had already written off the frame so I was willing to take the risk.

Edit: Just looked at your pictures. Those rivnuts look like they have not been tightened enough. The upper one looks barely expanded...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2024, 01:48:24 AM by TidyDinosaur »

mattbchiner

« Reply #321 on: June 28, 2024, 10:53:10 AM »
Very interesting. I'm not sure it would pass the Hambini sniff test  ;D

What's worse than "Crapvelo" ? This, lol ;D

Also, thanks for the video. Looks great and will probably do this exactly.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2024, 10:55:50 AM by mattbchiner »

Phaxe

« Reply #322 on: July 03, 2024, 06:25:55 PM »
Whilst my frame is being made, the parts required to make this more usable have arrived.

SL7 Compression ring, direct mount hanger, and headset bearings.

I'm struggling to find OEM parts for the top tube cover, down tube frame protector etc. What are they called? I can't find them on the Cervelo website.

this is dog

« Reply #323 on: July 05, 2024, 07:18:21 AM »
Whilst my frame is being made, the parts required to make this more usable have arrived.

SL7 Compression ring, direct mount hanger, and headset bearings.

I'm struggling to find OEM parts for the top tube cover, down tube frame protector etc. What are they called? I can't find them on the Cervelo website.

They are listed in the Aspero build manual, I've managed to get these parts from my LBS. Don't bother getting the seatpost clamp, it won't fit.

- Bottle boss cover plate CVR-WB
- Seatpost Clamp SPC-SQ-R-2011-A
- Downtube Protector PRO-DT-ASP
- Chainstay Protector PRO-CS-ASP

this is dog

« Reply #324 on: July 05, 2024, 07:20:37 AM »

Get one of these, and you should be able to fix that loose rivet nut yourself. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005501747655.html

edinhog7

« Reply #325 on: July 08, 2024, 11:18:58 AM »
Hi everyone, I need a chain stain protector, but here in Brazil, where I live, I can't get it, I would like to know if someone can buy it and send it to me, and I'll send the money, I found some websites that sell it, but ship it to Brazil, my contact is +5549991250304. thanks.

jclaytyler

« Reply #326 on: July 19, 2024, 02:51:55 PM »
Hi everyone. Long time lurker here. I've been wanting to build up an open mold frame for over a decade but I have talked myself out of it every time. Well this is finally the time. I plan on pulling the trigger on the frame once I pick a color-hopefully tonight. I really like the pearl pics I've seen on here but some of the metallic colors are awesome as well. I'm also piecing together a Sram Force AXS groupset-in part because I don't want to screw around with routing the shifter cables for either mech or Di2. Before I start actually purchasing parts I've got a few questions:

For those running Sram, do you use the "wide" crankset and FD? I don't think it's necessary but I'm tempted.

Has anyone purchased the airwolf carbon wheels? I'm looking at the 30mm version-not sure on depth yet. Any depth recs or other brands I should check out around the same price point?

From my understanding, I need to also purchase the Specialized SL7 compression cap and matching headset bearings. Is there anything else I must have to make the frame work? Is there anything else you recommend?

How long did shipping take for you? The website says 7-10 days but I refuse to put my hope in that.

I'm pretty psyched to get this thing built up and will hopefully post some pics of my progress.

Thanks!

BeePiers

« Reply #327 on: July 22, 2024, 09:56:38 AM »
I completed my build Thursday (the same day my frameset arrived).
I had all of my build components on hand and was ready.  No issues at all, I purchased this frame from another vendor on Ali, but its identical to the Airwolf YFR068/Cervelo Aspero 5.  Ordered mid-June, shipped on 7/15, rec'd 7/18.

A few notes, just like everyone else -
The headset bearings and compression ring are different than Cervelo, but I found the quality of my bearings to be good.  I chose to go with the SL7 split ring.
The through axle thread on frame is different than Cervelo, since the thread is an insert on the frame vs an independent nut.
The Rear derailleur hanger is different.
This frame lacks bottle cage threads on the downside of downtube.
This frame lacks frame protection on the downtube, though I had OE Cervelo pieces ready and they are self-adhesive.
The remainder of the frame is a 1:1 clone with Cervelo Aspero 5, all the way down to the paint.

I used full Sram Red AXS 1x XPLR and Zipp 303 firecrest wheels, so I can't comment on the FD.  I removed the FD Hanger and replaced it with the Cervelo blanking plate.  The routing of the two brake hoses was remarkably easy.  I thought the idea of wide BB might be an issue for me, since Red does not come aftermarket with the wide spindle.  I live in flat, flat Florida, so the idea of a larger chainring was kind of appealing...but I am a spinner, not a grinder.  I went with a 42T ring on the standard width spindle.  There ARE some OE SRAM Red Wide offerings but they are very rare and hard to come by, I even confirmed this with SRAM Support.  My setup is NOT wide, and I have zero issues.  I am running a 42T 1X ring and the 3.5mm spacer on the drive side of the BB.  I'd be reluctant to go larger and for me, personally, its not needed.

So far, two rides logged (30 and 25 miles) - nothing significant to report, other than the standard re-tightening of things after the first ride.

Hi everyone. Long time lurker here. I've been wanting to build up an open mold frame for over a decade but I have talked myself out of it every time. Well this is finally the time. I plan on pulling the trigger on the frame once I pick a color-hopefully tonight. I really like the pearl pics I've seen on here but some of the metallic colors are awesome as well. I'm also piecing together a Sram Force AXS groupset-in part because I don't want to screw around with routing the shifter cables for either mech or Di2. Before I start actually purchasing parts I've got a few questions:

For those running Sram, do you use the "wide" crankset and FD? I don't think it's necessary but I'm tempted.

Has anyone purchased the airwolf carbon wheels? I'm looking at the 30mm version-not sure on depth yet. Any depth recs or other brands I should check out around the same price point?

From my understanding, I need to also purchase the Specialized SL7 compression cap and matching headset bearings. Is there anything else I must have to make the frame work? Is there anything else you recommend?

How long did shipping take for you? The website says 7-10 days but I refuse to put my hope in that.

I'm pretty psyched to get this thing built up and will hopefully post some pics of my progress.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2024, 10:45:38 AM by BeePiers »

this is dog

« Reply #328 on: July 22, 2024, 10:23:52 AM »
I completed my build Thursday (the same day my frameset arrived).
I had all of my build components on hand and was ready.  No issues at all, I purchased this frame from another vendor on Ali, but its identical to the Airwolf YFR068/Cervelo Aspero 5.  Ordered mid-June, shipped on 7/15, rec'd 7/18.

A few notes, just like everyone else -
The headset bearings and compression ring are different than Cervelo, but I found the quality of my bearings to be good.  I chose to go with the SL7 split ring.
The through axle thread on frame is different than Cervelo, since the thread is an insert on the frame vs an independent nut.
The Rear derailleur hanger is different.
This frame lacks bottle cage threads on the downside of downtube.
This frame lacks frame protection on the downtube, though I had OE Cervelo pieces ready and they are self-adhesive.
The remainder of the frame is a 1:1 clone with Cervelo Aspero 5, all the way down to the paint.

I used full Sram Red AXS 1x XPLR and Zipp 303 firecrest wheels, so I can't comment on the FD.  I removed the FD Hanger and replaced it with the Cervelo blanking plate.  The routing of the two brake hoses was remarkably easy.  I thought the idea of wide BB might be an issue for me, since Red does not come aftermarket with the wide spindle.  I live in flat, flat Florida, so the idea of a larger chainring was kind of appealing...but I am a spinner, not a grinder.  I went with a 42T ring on the standard width spindle.  There ARE some OE SRAM Red Wide offerings but they are very rare and hard to come by, I even confirmed this with SRAM Support.  My setup is NOT wide, and I have zero issues.  I am running a 42T 1X ring and the 3.5mm spacer on the drive side of the BB.  I'd be reluctant to go larger and for me, personally, its not needed.

So far, two rides logged (30 and 25 miles) - nothing significant to report, other than the standard re-tightening of things after the first ride.

Nice write up, and a crazy nice build!

BeePiers

« Reply #329 on: July 22, 2024, 10:33:46 AM »
Thanks.  I went way back in the thread and saw yours, I took a lot of inspiration from your build up!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2024, 10:37:30 AM by BeePiers »