Other Resources > After The Ride

Are AliEx/open mold carbon bikes common in your area?

<< < (2/6) > >>

svanimpe:
I live in Belgium, and although I rarely see an unbranded open mould frame, I do see a lot of rebranded ones. Plenty of smaller brands rely on open moulds.

I've even seen branded open mould frames raced in women's World Tour.

Crash217:
I hardly ever see open mold or AliEx stuff around NE oklahoma.    I know one person with an older chinarello and that's it.   I'm the only I know who is tossing AliExpress parts on their bikes.  But, I don't go group rides and keep mostly to myself or one or two riding friends.

I went and raced the MidSouth100 over this past weekend.  Saw a few open mold bikes and a couple things with Sensah groupsets.  Not sure if the people realized their BoltCutter and Bombtrack were open molds though.   Anything and everything was in the crowd, it was a pretty wild experience passing someone riding a 3d printed Titanium bike then 2 minutes later someone comes by on a vintage steel, single speed.

jonathanf2:

--- Quote from: Crash217 on March 13, 2023, 11:20:42 AM ---I hardly ever see open mold or AliEx stuff around NE oklahoma.    I know one person with an older chinarello and that's it.   I'm the only I know who is tossing AliExpress parts on their bikes.  But, I don't go group rides and keep mostly to myself or one or two riding friends.

I went and raced the MidSouth100 over this past weekend.  Saw a few open mold bikes and a couple things with Sensah groupsets.  Not sure if the people realized their BoltCutter and Bombtrack were open molds though.   Anything and everything was in the crowd, it was a pretty wild experience passing someone riding a 3d printed Titanium bike then 2 minutes later someone comes by on a vintage steel, single speed.

--- End quote ---

I would actually get more excited if I see someone with an open mold/AliEx bike. I ride on the occasional group rides and it's always the same LBS purchased or direct-to-consumer brand bike. I'm more interested in the custom builds. Nothing irks me more when someone has a $6k plus bike and you can hear a poorly tuned derailleur! Even in a big city like LA, it's always the same name brand stuff everywhere I go.

00Garza:
I've only ever seen one other chinese carbon frame out in the wild.

s3si1u:
Not really. I'm in Southern California and haven't seen another one out in the wild. I've talked to a handful of people from Offerup/Craigslist/etc. who I was buying or selling from that either owned an open mold or were in the process of building one. Maybe it was some of y'all  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version