Other Resources > After The Ride

Are AliEx/open mold carbon bikes common in your area?

(1/6) > >>

jonathanf2:
One thing I notice, at least where I live (S.Cal/Los Angeles) is that AliEx components and Chinese carbon frames are a rare sight to see. Most my ride groups are composed of mostly name brand bikes and Shimano/SRAM components. In fact I probably only saw 1 ICAN built frame in the last 2 years on a random ride. My bike builds end up getting more attention on group rides because of all the obscure AliEx components I use. I'm surprised how much some other cyclists spent on their bikes, when they don't weigh any less or even shift as well as my builds.

Anyways, I'm curious how the AliEX/Chinese carbon scene looks in your area and if they're catching on or not?

jannmayer:
I'm also in Southern California (San Diego) and I don't recall ever seeing one. Seems like most of the roadies are on Specialized and Santa Cruz is really popular on the trails.

Even the mainstream direct-to-consumer bikes are rare. I've only seen a handful of Canyons even though their North American headquarters is down here.

jefflinde:
I have been on open mold frames exclusively for about 6 yrs now.  My fat bike, MTB, road and gravel all are open mold.  I have only come across a few other riders on them.  they are more popular in the fat bike world but still not common.  I do agree that it is crazy how much people spend on bikes just to have that name brand.  I run exclusively shimano drivetrains just because when I started, sense didn't exist and I had to pick one for continuity of repair parts and processes.  the ability to have a top spec drivetrain on an open mold frame gives me a riding experience on par or above most riders at a fraction of the cost.  I would rather have multiple bikes tailored for a specific riding type then one uber expensive bike that I have to use for everything.  I probably spend the same amount of $$ on bikes but I have a whole fleet.

jonathanf2:

--- Quote from: jannmayer on March 10, 2023, 11:42:46 AM ---I'm also in Southern California (San Diego) and I don't recall ever seeing one. Seems like most of the roadies are on Specialized and Santa Cruz is really popular on the trails.

Even the mainstream direct-to-consumer bikes are rare. I've only seen a handful of Canyons even though their North American headquarters is down here.

--- End quote ---

I was recently at a fairly big cycling event with a few hundred riders and I purposely tried looking for other open mold/AliEx type bikes. The most I saw was one cyclist with SuperTeam wheels! I do own a Poseidon X gravel frameset and that's the only domestic direct-to-consumer bike I've seen grown in popularity. I even built a "proof of concept" 1x road bike using a spare carbon frameset and AliEx components and so far that bike rides amazingly smooth.

--- Quote from: jefflinde on March 10, 2023, 11:50:13 AM ---I have been on open mold frames exclusively for about 6 yrs now.  My fat bike, MTB, road and gravel all are open mold.  I have only come across a few other riders on them.  they are more popular in the fat bike world but still not common.  I do agree that it is crazy how much people spend on bikes just to have that name brand.  I run exclusively shimano drivetrains just because when I started, sense didn't exist and I had to pick one for continuity of repair parts and processes.  the ability to have a top spec drivetrain on an open mold frame gives me a riding experience on par or above most riders at a fraction of the cost.  I would rather have multiple bikes tailored for a specific riding type then one uber expensive bike that I have to use for everything.  I probably spend the same amount of $$ on bikes but I have a whole fleet.

--- End quote ---

I currently have 3 bike builds. I only run Shimano RD/FDs, but I've been experimenting with Sensah/Ltwoo shifters, AliEx cranksets and brake calipers. I have an itch to build a lightweight 1x disc climbing bike, but just using affordable components. I like the idea of building affordable lightweight mechanical bikes tuned to perfection.

jefflinde:

--- Quote from: jonathanf2 on March 10, 2023, 12:11:57 PM ---
I currently have 3 bike builds. I only run Shimano RD/FDs, but I've been experimenting with Sensah/Ltwoo shifters, AliEx cranksets and brake calipers. I have an itch to build a lightweight 1x disc climbing bike, but just using affordable components. I like the idea of building affordable lightweight mechanical bikes tuned to perfection.

--- End quote ---

I did just build a climbing bike using the velobuild 066 frame.  I went rim brake and 2x but it will be sub 6.8kg.  it had the Sensah 2x12 groups on it originally and I actually really liked it.  performance was great and it shifted just as I would have expected.  I got a wild hair and switched stover to shimano 9100 mechanical rim brake.  I figured this may be my last change to get a rim brake non-electric group set in my lifetime.  hahaha. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version