Author Topic: Spcycle SP-027D Frameset  (Read 1343 times)

jonathanf2

Spcycle SP-027D Frameset
« on: March 13, 2023, 09:43:24 AM »
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804571715408.html

I've been looking for a cheap carbon road frameset for a 1x road bike build, running budget components. I was looking at a couple of other frames, but this one hits the budget and spare parts are a bit easier to come by with Spcycle. The design is a bit dated with semi-integrated cabling and longer seat stays, but I think it'll be fun once built out!

Parts I'll be using:
RXL carbon drop bars
Cheapest UNO stem
Sensah Team Pro shifters
Onirii BR-005 calipers
Goldix hollow crankset
Racework 44t chainnring
105 R700 RD
Elite Wheelset
ZTTO PF threaded steel bearing BB (may switch to a Token Ninja BB if it turns out to be real crap)

Once the frame arrives I'll update this post when I start the build. I wanted to share the link if anyone else was interested.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 12:01:42 PM by jonathanf2 »

coffeebreak

Re: Caved in and ordered a clearance Spcycle SP-027D Frameset
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 10:59:01 AM »
Any budget threshold that you don't want to cross? It's a hard thing to do (at least I couldn't do lol) but I'll be curious if you have set a limit.

jonathanf2

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 11:32:19 AM »
Any budget threshold that you don't want to cross? It's a hard thing to do (at least I couldn't do lol) but I'll be curious if you have set a limit.

It's not that I can't spend more money on fancier equipment, but I don't see the point at least on a non-competitive level. I'd rather focus on proper bike tuning and maintaining a strong fitness regiment. If I'm not cycling, I'm strength training and doing HIIT. I like constantly tuning my bikes and examining my technique for areas I can improve in. I also examine other cyclists with their techniques, cadence, physiology and their max limit potential. I have a bad habit of picking uphill and downhill battles with other cyclists at my local riding spots. The fancier the bike, the more elitist the kit, the more driven I am to drop them! Lol

I ride with quite a few fixed gear riders and they have the most simplest of bike setups. Yet these guys are always at the front of the pack when it comes to the flats and even hill climbing. I've adopted a bit of that mentality when it comes to my road bikes. Less is more!

00Garza

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 09:59:20 AM »
Oh man. Thats a pretty good deal on that frame. I'm tempted. I absolutely don't need it...but still.

jonathanf2

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023, 11:38:18 AM »
Oh man. Thats a pretty good deal on that frame. I'm tempted. I absolutely don't need it...but still.

The price was slightly lower since AliEx was running an event promotion earlier and I was able to apply my AliEx coins and an additional promo code to lower the price. I was looking at a few other frames, but I noticed a few sellers are now making you buy thru axles separately driving the cost up. Plus most newer Chinese carbon frames are going full internal cabling which would require an integrated handle bar purchase. I wanted a budget frame for a budget build!

jonathanf2

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2023, 06:47:22 PM »
I just received my Spcycle SP-027D disc frameset. I asked for a glossy finish because I'm a sucker for shiny things, plus it's easy to fix small scratches using my wife's clear nail polish gel. It took exactly 18 days from ordering on AliEx to my front doorstep. They informed me it would take 10-11 days for the glossy finish, but the actual ship time took 7 days exact via FedEx Global (3/23 to 3/29).  Everything was securely packaged when it arrived. I asked that the disc mount bolt holes be properly faced and everything looks to be true. I measured the bottom bracket holes and they seem to be perfectly circular as well. The clear coat and paint job look good as well. The only area that looks a bit sloppy was the FD hole mount, but it just looks like extra clear coat residue. I ordered a 49cm and I weighed the frame at about 1130g. Not S-Work Aethos light by any means since it's an aero design, but the frame itself appears to be sturdy. Plus I've easily hill climb dropped the weekend Fred's on their Aethos frames so it's more about the rider.

Anyways, this whole build is going to be super budget, though I haven't decided if I want to stick to my original plan and go 1x with a 44/11-32t setup or go with a 2x 46:30/11-32t climbing setup? Overall Spcycle seemed decent to order from, but their communication is so-so. Though their shipping is a 9.5/10. Quite fast!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 06:50:25 PM by jonathanf2 »

jonathanf2

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2023, 02:50:15 PM »
I finally finished this bike build! It took me longer than expected of about 1 1/2 days. Everything was going smooth until I noticed the rear TA dropouts were slightly loose. I had to really tighten the rear TA to have it sit snug. I installed a ZTTO PF bottom bracket and that definitely was a headache. It probably didn't help I had a few shots of tequila while installing it. I'll make sure to get a threaded BSA or T47 frameset next time! Indexing carbon Sensah Team Pro shifters to work with my 105 R7000 was a PITA, I had to pull super hard on the shift cable. In fact Sensah did some tweaks that make it different from the Sensah alloy shifters I was using. Also the front fork cable hole was too small causing even more cable routing headaches.

Every time I build a bike, I think it's going to be easy and it never is! I consider this bike somewhat of a proof of concept build using mostly AliEx parts. Though I'm partial to Shimano derailleurs. Time to ride the bike!

List of Parts:
Spcycle SP-027D Disc Frameset
Elite Wheels Carbon Wheelset
RXL Flared Carbon Drop Bars
Uno Alloy 90mm Stem
Universal Aero Spacers
AliEx Carbon Padded Saddle
American Classic Timekeeper Tires / 25c front clincher / 28c rear tubeless (will replace with Panaracer Agilest Tubeless tires once these wear out)
Goldix Hollow Alloy Axle Crankset
Racework 44t 1x Chainring
Onirii BR-005 Cable Hydraulic Brake Calipers
Xpedo Magnesium Alloy Pedals
Sensah Team Pro Carbon Drop Bars
KMC Hollow 11 Speed Chain
Sunshine Ultralight 11 Speed Cassette 11-32t
Shimano 105 R7000 RD w/carbon OSPW
Shimano RT-MT800 Disc Rotors
Risk Shift and Brake Cabling
Dark Brown Cork Bar Tape
Muqzi Bar End and Drop Bar Rubber Protectors
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 12:02:21 PM by jonathanf2 »

jonathanf2

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2023, 11:33:27 AM »
I finally took the bike on a shake down ride. My other TFSA disc road frame feels more responsive, while this SPcycle frame is much more stiff, allowing me to lay down the torque. One annoyance is that it didn't come with a rear derailleur hole faster/grommet. It came with a rubber grommet better suited for Di2. I had to use a stem valve lock nut to keep the RD cable in place. I was also getting saddle slipping from the seat post clamp, which I ended up just putting gaffer tape on the saddle rails to hold it in place (I did that with my other bike). I'm probably going to dump the BR-005 calipers and just use Juin Tech F1s instead which I'll swap from my other 2x road bike that will get a LTwoo R9 hydro shifter upgrade. Lastly, I'm probably going to swap the 44t chainring and go 48t and 11-34/36t on the rear cassette to get more high gear. There's something fun about 1x road riding, less to think about and you can really focus on your cadence.

Overall, I'd rate this frameset an 7.5/10, it was a bit of pain to setup, their frame came with the bare minimum (no guide cables in place, no RD cable grommet/fastener, rear dropout isn't very snug), though the price was reasonable and SPcycle was fast to ship, but their customer service is just average (very blunt message replies). Definitely not a frameset for a beginner bike builder, even though I've built my other bikes, I still had a few headaches! In comparison I'd rate my TFSA frameset an 8.5/10 with a much better buying experience, but sloooow production/ship time (2 months vs 18 days).

Update: I've added a photo showing the RD cable issue, I'm shaking my head as to why they couldn't include a 2 cent item with the frame? It's the little details like this that will make me consider another frame maker down the road. The RD cable is held in place with a valve nut so it doesn't slip into the chain stay...very ghetto!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 11:48:53 AM by jonathanf2 »

Chiyou

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2023, 02:28:08 PM »
Update: I've added a photo showing the RD cable issue, I'm shaking my head as to why they couldn't include a 2 cent item with the frame? It's the little details like this that will make me consider another frame maker down the road. The RD cable is held in place with a valve nut so it doesn't slip into the chain stay...very ghetto!

I had a similar RD cable issue with a TanTan frame, which I was able to solve with a Jagwire cable guide stopper - just mentioning it in case it helps anyone. Jagwire part# CHA056, 5.0mm housing cable guide stopper; the main shaft has an outer diameter of about 7.2mm and the flange has an outer diameter of ~9.5mm. I was able to find mine on Amazon (of course, they're only sold 10 pieces at a time). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0025UGY7Q

carbonazza

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2023, 05:18:43 AM »
...List of Parts:...

Do you have the link to your mudguard ? It looks neat.
Second question, is it effective ?  :)

jonathanf2

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2023, 11:27:16 AM »
Do you have the link to your mudguard ? It looks neat.

https://ass-savers.com/collections/win-wings

I would still get full fenders if you regularly ride in wet weather. This mud guard is better for the occasional puddles after a heavy rain.

coffeebreak

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2023, 11:43:56 AM »

https://ass-savers.com/collections/win-wings

I would still get full fenders if you regularly ride in wet weather. This mud guard is better for the occasional puddles after a heavy rain.

+1 to above observation. Looks slick and excellent for light rain.
I bought one from Amazon and returned it after a ride. The design prevents mud spray up your back and ass (hence the name lol) but seat stay, under seat bag, FD all get splashed. The tires were 40c knobby which have tendency to throw stuff everywhere. I reckon it would be better with slick/semi slick tires.

jonathanf2

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2023, 11:55:29 AM »
I had a similar RD cable issue with a TanTan frame, which I was able to solve with a Jagwire cable guide stopper - just mentioning it in case it helps anyone. Jagwire part# CHA056, 5.0mm housing cable guide stopper; the main shaft has an outer diameter of about 7.2mm and the flange has an outer diameter of ~9.5mm. I was able to find mine on Amazon (of course, they're only sold 10 pieces at a time). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0025UGY7Q

I saved these Jagwire stoppers in my Amazon cart, but I'm in no rush. So far my valve nut hack is working. It's pressed against the rubber grommet giving it a bit of weather sealing, and it's holding the RD cable in place. Shifting is spot on as-is.

I feel like cycling focuses on fitness, but putting a bike together really is a mental exercise! On the plus side, I think it makes you a better cyclist, because you can really dial in your bike the way you want it to ride.

jonathanf2

Re: Spcycle SP-027D Frameset
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2023, 12:42:46 PM »
I did some more tuning on the bike and overall I'm pretty happy with it. Running it 1x is just ridiculously fun. Even though it's an aero frame, I can really lay down the power on the hill climbs and it's just responsive. Building AliEx frames is definitely not for everyone, but for some darn reason it puts a smile on face!

On my weekend ride, I caught up to a S-Work Di2 Aethos rider with a good 1 minute hill climb lead by the summit. It's a nice bike, but I couldn't help think the money I saved (compared to the $12k Aethos) could easily be spent on a nice vacation or my kids' college tuition! Lol