Author Topic: Magene L508 Radar bike light  (Read 1796 times)

ChrisB

Magene L508 Radar bike light
« on: March 22, 2023, 12:28:57 PM »
What are the long term experiences with the Magene L508 Radar bike light?
I believe several regulars have this already in use?

Tempted by this offer to combine with my Garmin 830:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004639380107.html

BR Chris

carbonazza

Re: Magene L508 Radar bike light
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 07:30:56 PM »
I'm using it for all my road rides.
Combined with a Karoo 2.

Two usages:
1) when a car approaches, you are warned, and know if it comes fast
2) after launching an attack to the peloton, I know if some are catching up ;)

hazzer19

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 09:30:14 PM »
I'm using the same combination. Magene L508 and Karoo 2. So far it's been great. Aside from the radar function (which works well), I really like the auto on and off, change in flashing pattern when cars approach or you slow down and the improvements they are making via software updates that come through the app.

coffeebreak

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 09:54:27 PM »
As good as Garmin Varia?

Froglover825

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 11:07:45 PM »
Has anyone used it with Wahoo Elemnt Bolt? If so - how is it? I have the v1 of elemnt bolt

ChrisB

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2023, 07:50:59 AM »
Thank you all for this feedback, this sounds really encouraging.
Pulled the trigger and now waiting for it to arrive before the spring bike holidays in Italy...

BR Chris

kbike

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 08:05:02 AM »
Has anyone used the app for more light modes?  Is there any firmware updates? Some of my cons can be fixed with firmware updates if there are any.

I use my magene and varia.
Pros
 Auto sleep
Bright light
Same size as varia
Can use garmin saddle mounts that can be rotated 90*
safety lanyard to hook to saddle
About the same battery life varia
Type c charging

Cons
False (ghost) cars
Cars show up in red at lower speeds on my bolt v2. Compared to varia.

Battery wears fast in high traffic(city) riding. The varia has the same issue.

Froglover825

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2023, 06:55:00 PM »
Has anyone used the app for more light modes?  Is there any firmware updates? Some of my cons can be fixed with firmware updates if there are any.

I use my magene and varia.
Pros
 Auto sleep
Bright light
Same size as varia
Can use garmin saddle mounts that can be rotated 90*
safety lanyard to hook to saddle
About the same battery life varia
Type c charging

Cons
False (ghost) cars
Cars show up in red at lower speeds on my bolt v2. Compared to varia.

Battery wears fast in high traffic(city) riding. The varia has the same issue.
How fast is fast when it comes to battery life?

kbike

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2023, 09:42:16 PM »
In Chicago area I can drain the batteries in a 2:30-3hr ride. In the country I could do 6 or so hrs.

kbike

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2023, 09:20:34 AM »
So there is a firmware update.  I installed the magene utility on a phone to do the update.  I'll be using it the next week to see what has changed.

hazzer19

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2023, 12:48:38 PM »
So there is a firmware update.  I installed the magene utility on a phone to do the update.  I'll be using it the next week to see what has changed.

In terms of features, ability to customize and reduce the time it takes for the light to go into sleep mode is one of my favorite updates. They also added some power saving settings if you want to customize the brightness to extend battery life.

I wouldn't use this as I pair it with a K2 head unit, but an interesting feature is the ability to use the Magene smartphone app as a display for the radar so you can see cars approaching.

Froglover825

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2023, 05:59:22 PM »
In Chicago area I can drain the batteries in a 2:30-3hr ride. In the country I could do 6 or so hrs.
damn that is quick, i also live in an urban area and the thought of having to charge it every ride doesn't sound very pleasant.

carbonazza

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2023, 04:14:52 PM »
damn that is quick, i also live in an urban area and the thought of having to charge it every ride doesn't sound very pleasant.

Well... now after a ride, I charge the karoo, a whoop, sometimes a SRAM battery, a red light, a front flashing light, a Lupine battery if MTB, and the radar. ???
Hopefully I do not forget to charge my phone, and... my car!
And I'm glad I don't ride an e-bike... yet  ;D

Froglover825

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2023, 07:56:43 PM »
Well... now after a ride, I charge the karoo, a whoop, sometimes a SRAM battery, a red light, a front flashing light, a Lupine battery if MTB, and the radar. ???
Hopefully I do not forget to charge my phone, and... my car!
And I'm glad I don't ride an e-bike... yet  ;D
That's what I like about my current setup; mechanical 105, rear light/front light lasts 2 weeks before I have to charge as I only bother turning it on for sketchy roads. I'm using 4iii left sided PM and it lasts for a very long time before I have to change the battery.  Elemnt bolt v1 usually lasts a week~ or so before charging as I just use it on dim with power, rpm, bpm, speed.

ChrisB

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2023, 09:35:28 AM »
Seems my Magene L508 radar light was on a slow boat from China... it arrived only two weeks ago.
So far really happy with the light. I am using it in combination with a Garmin 830.

Some observations:
- Sometimes the warning for cars clears to early... before the car passes
- Setup/Activation in the Magene App was not the most straightforward experience, but worked in the end
- Using it in pure Radar mode will last me up to 6 hours in a rural area with medium traffic
- The mount for the seat post works, but easily slips and changes direction, hence ordered some new mounts from Alix

I got these mounts for the seat post:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005059967477.html

All well except that the light is 90 degree off...
Good that the inner adapter is fixed with two screws so it can be removed. However to fix it in the correct direction, I had to make use of good old epoxy adhesive. So far so good, now we will see how stable this is in the long run.

BR Chris