Author Topic: Need front derailleur recommendations  (Read 421 times)

Flying Trunk Monkey

Need front derailleur recommendations
« on: April 11, 2023, 11:13:03 PM »
Frame is the Framed Basswood/Carbonda CFR696 which has provisions for a direct mount FD with cable routing for a downpull setup. I'd like to be able to run 2x rings in the 44 big / 28 small range. While I'm sure I could fab a workaround to use a clamp mount FD, the seatpost tube doesnt have a round profile in the this area.

Also, if anyone knows what the untapped third hole below and inline with the two tapped direct mount frames holes is for I'd like to know too.

Thanks,
Aaron

jefflinde

Re: Need front derailleur recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 11:22:47 PM »
Any of the new Shimano front derailleurs are very nice.  You want the new style like r7000/8000/9100 as they have a much lighter action than the older versions.  The GRX is also a good option as it also has the new design. 

Can't help you with what the hole is for though sorry.

coffeebreak

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2023, 12:03:28 AM »
While I'm sure I could fab a workaround to use a clamp mount FD, the seatpost tube doesnt have a round profile in the this area.

Also, if anyone knows what the untapped third hole below and inline with the two tapped direct mount frames holes is for I'd like to know too.

Di2 battery connection wire comes thru that hole if you are running Di2. Ultegra R8000 braze on FD is definitely the way. I can feel the difference between R7000 fd and Ultegra fd. The Ultegra front shifting is so much better imo.

Flying Trunk Monkey

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2023, 02:41:12 AM »
Di2... that makes sense.

Re the GRX or R8000 RD's... I actually looked at the GRX before asking. I have a decent amount of expereince using Shimano REAR derailleurs in applications that they weren't designed for but very little doing the same w/ front D's. My concern for either has to do with the specs listed in Shimano's page.

GRX(810) / R8000
Max big: 46-48 / 46-53
Capacity: 17 /16t
Inferred min small: 29-31 / 30-37
Chainline: 47 / 43.5

My intended setup has the outer ring at about 47mm, 2x the middle of the rings is at 43mm
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 02:43:40 AM by Flying Trunk Monkey »

bremerradkurier

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2023, 01:10:12 PM »
Having the tension adjuster right on the newer series of Shimano mechanical FDs is a great feature-you don't need an inline adjuster anymore.