Author Topic: your thought on the velobuild handle bar with separate stem  (Read 671 times)

curvenut

your thought on the velobuild handle bar with separate stem
« on: April 18, 2023, 07:45:06 AM »
HI,
    I am planning to build my bike , probably the vbr218 but without the integratre handlebar

That are your thought of this velobuild handlebar  ?

https://www.velobuild.com/products/2021-new-carbon-handlebar-with-separate-stem

Do you have any commnt about the handle bar and the stem ?  go / nogo ?
How is the routing of the cable ? is it  50% internal and 50% external ?

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 06:18:21 PM by curvenut »

BerndSon

Re: your thought on the velobuild handle bad with separate stem
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2023, 08:56:16 AM »
The advantage with the separated version is, that you are way more flexible regarding the Stem length / bar width options.
It comes with split spacers which is quite nice and the internal routing was O.K for me (note: I run it with a DI2, so I only had to deal with the routing of two cables). I routed fully internal, so stem and bar.

One of the cons is, that the whole system including the spacers (aluminum) is quite heavy.
My separated Stem/Bar set in 100/420mm including the C-clip, cap and spacers weighted in at 570grams in total.

Riding feel is good, even with my 84 kilos and sprints well above 1200watts seated as well as out of the saddle felt good, there is flex in the bars but not too much.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 03:15:10 PM by BerndSon »

curvenut

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2023, 11:48:19 AM »
thanks for your feedback.

But velobuild just inform me that for the frame vbr218 can only be sold as a whole , handlebar included
which surprise me !

s3si1u

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2023, 12:51:04 PM »
That frame kinda looks like it has to be used with the proprietary bar and stem. Unless you can rig or 3D print some kind of adapter or spacer for the other VB bar and stem

curvenut

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2023, 06:32:02 PM »
That frame kinda looks like it has to be used with the proprietary bar and stem. Unless you can rig or 3D print some kind of adapter or spacer for the other VB bar and stem

What make you think it needs a propriatary stem and bar ?

bichler.bua

Re: your thought on the velobuild handle bar with separate stem
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2023, 09:49:25 AM »
Separated bar and stem provide more options / flexibility. Fully internal cable routing limits that flexibility, but the spacers and stem are only designed for full internal routing.
IMO the bar shape is nice, the stem design is okay but the top cap is not good - it can be part of the issue when users experience headset play that they can not get rid of.
I tried setting up my VB-R-099 full mechanical and fully internally routed, getting 4 cables (incl. compressionless housing) routed is almost impossible without sacrificing braking or shifting performance.
Therefore I have opted for a semi-internal routing (external below bar and stem). I will be using a FSA / Vision SMR stem and the same semi-internal routing for my GF-002 that I am currently building (di2 & hydraulic brakes).
The steerer tube is 1 1/8 and the headset bearing 1 1/2, there are options of fitting other stems and spacers and they are described in this forum in many threads.