Author Topic: Frame req? (Aero, dropped SS, high stack, short reach)  (Read 575 times)

ENEP

Frame req? (Aero, dropped SS, high stack, short reach)
« on: April 19, 2023, 07:57:48 AM »
Hi everybody

Looking for frame recommendations. I've searched but maybe missed frames.
Love the looks of an aero frame with dropped seat stays, deep down tube and integrated routing with one-piece handlebar/stem. I don't mind the hassle of building/servicing.
However i'm not so flexibel so looking for above attributes in combination with short reach/high stack. Body stats: 186cm, 88cm inseam.
I've been trying on a borrowed bike with 590mm top tube, 401mm reach, 590mm stack, 15mm stemspacer and 80mm stem. Not perfect fit but doable, a bit shorter reach would be ideal if possible.

Findings:
Tantan/seraph TT-X34, size XL, TT 574, Reach 399, stack 584.
Shorter TT and reach and lower stack compared. Maybe doable with stemspacer and shortish stem/bar.

Velobuild
(not sure about the pinarello copy cat looks)
VBR218, size XXL, TT 575mm, reach 396, stack 585
Shorter TT and reach and lower stack compared. Maybe doable with stemspacer and shortish stem/bar.

Carbonda (not full on aero looks but still a viable option if no other option..)
CFR 1056, size L TT 560, reach 385, stack 589
CFR 1056, size XL, TT 580, reach 393, stack 610

SEKA (shorter and higher, great looks, bit priecy maybe for a china frame)
Exceed, size XL, TT 575, reach 394, stack 594

Any other options?

svanimpe

Re: Frame req? (Aero, dropped SS, high stack, short reach)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 02:29:47 PM »
Hi ENEP,

We seem to have a similar body type. Keep in mind that high stack + low reach = upright position, so not usually found on an aero frame, rather a gravel or endurance frame. In your case, you definitely need to find something with a lower reach, as an 80mm stem is way too short for you to put on an aero frame. Aero frames generally have a short wheelbase and steep head tube angle, which you need to pair with a longer stem, or you end up with an extremely twitchy bike.

I've briefly tried the Carbonda 1056 for it's lower reach/higher stack (it's an endurance frame), but the wheelbase was already too short for my 90mm stem and 40cm handlebars. I'm currently on a Carbonda 696, which is a good fit for me.

For my next build, I'm going for a Yishun G075-D, which is about the only frame that has a short enough reach for me not to have to flip my stem up (which isn't possible with integrated cables). Here's an example build from a local brand (that charges way too much):