Author Topic: Oversize pulley cage  (Read 977 times)

forchetta

Oversize pulley cage
« on: April 21, 2023, 04:32:11 AM »
Hi everyone, can you help me where i can found the oversize pulley cage for sram gx 12v and for sram gx axs?
thanks

TidyDinosaur

Re: Oversize pulley cage
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2023, 05:10:24 AM »
Have you used the search function on Aliexpress? I get loads of hits...

forchetta

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2023, 07:21:21 AM »
yes but i'dont found anything for sram gx or gx axs.
I like "ceramicspeed" cage

carbonazza

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2023, 05:08:42 PM »
Is it aesthetic or do you feel a difference when pedalling ?
Or both?  8)

Vipassana

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2023, 10:34:04 PM »
I can't access the link above, but I bought the cage that's a Garbaruk clone (packaging was even 'legit' Garbaruk).

It is very well made, but does NOT fit the AXS derailleur without a minor modification to the screw that keeps the lower cage from 'unwinding'.  You need to shave the head of the screw down a bit so it doesn't contact the clutch housing.

Overall, I wish I had gone with the KCNC SXX1 unit. And I might try it next time there's a sale on them for $10-15 off.

Vipassana

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2023, 10:37:38 PM »
Is it aesthetic or do you feel a difference when pedalling ?
Or both?  8)

I noticed no difference really.  Maybe a bit smoother. But likely placebo. I think it's a looks thing.  And weight.

On the (now old) AXS derailleurs, The only difference between XX1, XO1, and GX are color/finish and lower cage material.  The actual mechanism is identical.  So the lower cage material is what explains the weight difference between each level. And there's an approximate 70 g difference between XX1 and GX.  Any of these aftermarket oversized pulley cages will lighten the GX to be the same weight as the XX1. And for considerably less than the XX1.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2023, 02:27:48 AM »
I got one for my GRX800 derailleur. It is actually 10gr heavier than stock...  ::)

coffeebreak

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2023, 10:35:47 AM »
I had one for 105 R7000 bought from Amazon and to my amusement it made the drivetrain noisier. It looked cool but I returned it, thanks Amazon. The cage was flexy (and very light) and that made me nervous too.

carbonazza

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2023, 10:39:08 AM »
I noticed no difference really.  Maybe a bit smoother. But likely placebo. I think it's a looks thing.  And weight.

On the (now old) AXS derailleurs, The only difference between XX1, XO1, and GX are color/finish and lower cage material.  The actual mechanism is identical.  So the lower cage material is what explains the weight difference between each level. And there's an approximate 70 g difference between XX1 and GX.  Any of these aftermarket oversized pulley cages will lighten the GX to be the same weight as the XX1. And for considerably less than the XX1.

Didn't know the weight was concentrated to the cage. Thanks !
I bought long time ago these fancy pulleys, but they didn't last long, literally eaten by the chain fast.
Are they more resistant now ?

Vipassana

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2023, 11:39:56 AM »
Didn't know the weight was concentrated to the cage. Thanks !
I bought long time ago these fancy pulleys, but they didn't last long, literally eaten by the chain fast.
Are they more resistant now ?

I can't comment. Only 250 miles on the drivetrain currently. And much less on the lightweight pulleys. But being that they are aluminum, I could actually see them wearing faster than whatever the stock plastic material is.  I could also see them being a bit noisier. 

On my XO1 11 speed derailleur, I got probably 6,000 mi before I replaced the idler pulleys. The stock pulleys are robust as hell. 

jonathanf2

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2023, 11:20:10 AM »
I use OSPWs on my road bike. After trying a few AliEx OSPWs, I prefer the Ceramic Speed knock-offs due to simplicity of design and cage tension adjustability (4 levels). Maybe it's in my head, but I feel it helps a bit on hill climbing. Plus my stock cages are all messed up from crashing too much! lol

Sensah Store has the best price for this style (Shimano only):
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804555924336.html