Author Topic: Recommendations on Cheap Tubeless Rim Wheelset?  (Read 1312 times)

Froglover825

Recommendations on Cheap Tubeless Rim Wheelset?
« on: April 25, 2023, 04:39:21 AM »
Hi folks,

I'm looking to purchase my first tubeless wheelset, rim brake, will be running 28c gp 5k's and looking to have them as shallow as possible shimano 11s.
I'll be riding them on my commute on sometimes unforgiving terrain.

Any suggestions?

Looking to pay under 500 usd, which rules out lightbicycle to the best of my knowledge.

Cheers!

jefflinde

Re: Recommendations on Cheap Tubeless Rim Wheelset?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2023, 07:47:03 AM »
If you are just looking for wheels that will work and durable, check Facebook for some take of wheels that someone is trying to get rid of.  I find them all the time for $80-$150 depending on how fancy they are.  If you want carbon you could definitely build your own for under $500. There are some great pre-built options on aliexpress for right around the $500 mark.  Kind of depends on what your goal is.   

carbonazza

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2023, 11:03:56 AM »
As @jefflinde suggested, building wheels is intimidating but not that hard.

Not sure if you can get a pair of carbon rims for less than $200-300 shipped, so this is a start.
Then some DT-Swiss clones hubs, that get better and better for $80.
And Pilar spokes, even some aero. The only luxurious parts I would choose are the nipples from SAPIM.

And some readings and practice and you'll have nice wheels for less than $500.

jannmayer

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2023, 03:54:06 PM »

Agreed, building your own is a great way to go if you want a nice wheel for not too much money, although you'll never beat a takeoff wheel for value.

I've built two wheelsets and found Roger Musson's book is well worth the 9 pounds ($12):
https://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

He even tells you how to make some of the tools that you'll need, so it's good for people on a budget.

Froglover825

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2023, 10:32:17 PM »
I think i'll go for the building my own wheelset decision after your comments.
I have some of the tools required.

Any recommendations on who to get a rim from? Since i'm running tubeless I don't want holes so I don't have to run rim tape.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2023, 03:31:37 AM »
I've built two wheelsets and found Roger Musson's book is well worth the 9 pounds ($12):
https://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

He even tells you how to make some of the tools that you'll need, so it's good for people on a budget.

Yes, that book is very good when beginning building. I bought it 20 years ago and still sometimes pick it up.

bremerradkurier

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2023, 11:12:40 AM »
DIY build kit from BDOP would run you around USD 350 including shipping

https://bdopcycling.com/bdop-diy-wheel-kits/

carbonazza

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2023, 04:32:42 PM »
I think i'll go for the building my own wheelset decision after your comments.
I have some of the tools required.

Any recommendations on who to get a rim from? Since i'm running tubeless I don't want holes so I don't have to run rim tape.

Peter, petercycles[at]foxmail.com
Or lightbicycle, just ask them UST type of rims or no hole.

I'm a disciple of Roger Musson too 8)
Did you see the trick to drive the nipple with a spoke bit and a magnet?
It's fiddly at start, but after a couple of nipples it is very easy.

Alan Morgan

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2023, 07:03:15 AM »
I've built both rim and disc wheelsets using Carbon Beam Store rims from Aliexpress. They're not the cheapest but very good in my experience. Bitex hubs are a good reasonably-priced option but Ryet have some nice-looking rim brake hubs at very decent prices, although the rear hubs don't have the biggest bracing angle.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005102916029.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.8148356.4.22a258e6cUujQu&pdp_npi=2%40dis%21GBP%21%EF%BF%A162.08%21%EF%BF%A149.67%21%21%21%21%21%40211b88ec16829422533638665ed769%2112000031668526110%21sh

I'm also a fan of Sapim D-light spokes for a quality budget build.

Get the Roger Musson book and have some fun. Your riding buddies will be very impressed that you've built your own wheels.

eeney

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2023, 05:16:33 PM »
I went direct to Speeder Cycling, I'm very happy with the goods.

I went with depths of 35mm front, 45mm rear and 21mm internal. With Sapim spokes they came in under 1300g.  Cost was exactly $500...however, it was $80 shipping, so all-in was $600 delivered. You can discuss and choose which depths, rims and hubs you want. I just went with their lighter rims and hubs.

Here are my Speeder Wheels, with 28mm tyres. I have them on my endurance/gravel bike, I use these wheels for road riding, then swap out for gravel days.

I communicated with Speeder via email and Skype from their contacts page, they were very helpful and I'm very happy with the wheels.

Yunglord

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2023, 09:48:25 PM »
I went direct to Speeder Cycling, I'm very happy with the goods.

I went with depths of 35mm front, 45mm rear and 21mm internal. With Sapim spokes they came in under 1300g.  Cost was exactly $500...however, it was $80 shipping, so all-in was $600 delivered. You can discuss and choose which depths, rims and hubs you want. I just went with their lighter rims and hubs.

Here are my Speeder Wheels, with 28mm tyres. I have them on my endurance/gravel bike, I use these wheels for road riding, then swap out for gravel days.

I communicated with Speeder via email and Skype from their contacts page, they were very helpful and I'm very happy with the wheels.

Hey Eeney,

Nice wheels which model are these and are they tubeless only? I recently purchased these SC-28WHD45TL and they came at the advertised weight of 1460g with chosen hubs and sapim cx-rays however my valve entry looks different are these hookless?

eeney

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2023, 02:39:05 PM »
Here are the details from my invoice, these are the hooked rims, tubeless ready but take clinchers.  For a gravel/touring bike I wanted this flexibility of tyre choice.
  • SC-28WHD3545AC
  • 28mm external wide / 21mm internal wide / 35mm front 45mm rear carbon asym disc brake
  • road tubeless clincher wheelset
  • UD matte, 24/24h, external, SL
  • Chosen 8526/8527 hubs, straight pull, center lock, 12x100mm / 12x142mm, Shimano 11s
  • Sapim CX-Ray spokes with Sapim polyax secure lock alloy nipples

Note that the vendor was super responsive, both on email and skype. There is a thread where Speeder responsiveness hasn't been perfect, but I hear this happens when they don't have stock and can't help.... so I guess understand this, or just ask them to respond and tell you they can't supply in the short term if this is the case.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 02:41:13 PM by eeney »

Serge_K

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2023, 04:35:49 AM »
My 5 cents from someone who's bought 7 carbon wheel sets: get Sapim spokes (ideally, Xray) over Pillar. They cost a bit more but if you plan to actually use the bike, the difference is meant to be worth it. Better ride quality, lighter, less prone to mechanical failure.
The hubs probably matter less. Ceramic bearings are utterly unnecessary. I've had novatec hubs forever, they just work. You don't want hubs that need constant maintenance.