Author Topic: Best AliExpress head & tail lights?  (Read 4439 times)

Takiyaki

Best AliExpress head & tail lights?
« on: May 07, 2023, 04:05:48 PM »
I don't ride at night, just need something for visibility. I guess I wouldn't mind radar in the tail light as well.

Vipassana

Re: Best AliExpress head & tail lights?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2023, 08:45:56 PM »
I've been very satisfied with my Gaciron headlights.  I've had two I've been using since 2021 without issue.  I think they're just starting to convert their lineup to USB-C.

I have a V9D-1800 and a V9M-1200. 

This is their official store, but other vendors have their products for a bit cheaper.

GaCIROn Official Store
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mP52W5K
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 09:05:31 PM by Vipassana »

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2023, 03:09:22 AM »
I have this one. Only used it once and it wasn't even dark, but looks and feels good for what it's worth.
You can attach it to a garmin computer mount

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004513876033.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.88.21ef1802d2zj7D

kbernstein

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2023, 05:30:08 AM »
I have this one too. I got the S1 Q2 bundle for 16€  :) 400 lumens wasn't enough in the only proper night ride I had in a forest with zero infrastructure but it should be more than enough for cities. I will upgrade to 1000 if I ever want real night rides but I can recommend it for now. I got the bundle mainly for the tail light and the mount (my current garmin came without one and it's much better than the garmin mount anyway) but I often forget to turn it on. No idea how visible the light is but I feel like I get even less respect from cars when I have it on. Wish it would turn on automatically/controllable from the head unit though

Crash217

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2023, 12:37:32 PM »
I picked up two of these recently.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804558555808.html

The largest one for my MTB, and the smallest one for my road bike.   They are both very bright for the price.   The small one only lasts about 2.5 hours on its lowest setting, so I just turn it off when I'm on bike/pedestrian paths and not in traffic.   The large one I haven't been able to get out long enough at night on the MTB to see its run time.

Edit - June 12;    I got a chance to go for a longer night ride over the weekend.  The larger MTB light ran for 2 hours on the highest power setting before I got back to the truck.  That's plenty for most of my night riding adventures.  It is extremely bright, but I would still recommend a helmet light for super tight turns.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 06:56:17 AM by Crash217 »

Froglover825

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2023, 08:55:58 PM »
The lights i've got from aliexpress have been pretty crap for their price, the bikemate lights from aldi which are $20(?) aud for back and front light have been very solid.

Tijoe

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2023, 08:59:14 PM »
Great thread!  I find it be be very illuminating!

Vipassana

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2023, 10:31:41 PM »
The lights i've got from aliexpress have been pretty crap for their price, the bikemate lights from aldi which are $20(?) aud for back and front light have been very solid.

Check out the Gaciron I posted above. Not cheap, but very much a premium light. By far the highest quality I've found on AliExpress.

jcr

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2023, 11:49:38 PM »
Been using the Towild CL600 (they have brighter ones available) https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003986553181.html

nickobec

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2023, 08:37:17 AM »
head light
the 1200 lumen version https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004942538790.html
garmin quarter turn mount, easy to flip lens to change from under bars to helmet mount (as yes I use it off road) and doubles as power bank

tail light Magene L508 no question

Bigal

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2023, 07:16:15 AM »
 I purchased this D1-800 ROCKBROS light upside down with gopro mount version https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000433874217.html back in early 2021 USB C connection very happy with it better than an cheap ALDI light IMHO . Not sure how long it last after running out one night I keep is regularly charged for cold winter commuting still in use.

Tail lights different case I purchase a pair of these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004989066911.html after the last type I had died . They work but I'm not sold on them. Looking for other options

sbellote

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2023, 10:56:22 AM »
for headlights, +1 on the Gaciron.
I got a 1400lm and it works well over what I need, also good that it works with the gopro mount and it's quick release, so really practical. It's not the cheapest, but it's high quality and will hold well over time (I have friends using their products for over 4yrs with no issues)

the Towild seem to be really good too, from the reviews I see around.
Now the Rockbros, Geoid, Thinkrider, and such, these don't actually manufacture the products but stamp their brand on them. Nothing wrong, but some Rockbros models are Gaciron's, if you look closely. So could be worth the research to get the best price. :)

for tail lights, I went over some different ones
MagicShine were by far the best, and it's a well know brand in the west too, so it's a safe choice
Infitnix is also a good option, I got 2 lights from them, but the water sealing sucks so I ran into issues (after some shower it just don't turn off). The warranty came through and replaced it, but now it's just my backup light

if you want radar light, then take a look at Magene and Bryton too, both are the best price you can get

sandwich

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2023, 08:42:08 PM »
I absolutely love the Towild CL800 and now have two of them that I move between three bikes.  There's a flash mode and constant, and the flash mode is seriously bright- in mornings I can see the reflection on road signs as the sun is coming up.  Battery life is OK but not stellar, I think it died on a 4 hour ride but one of mine is a few years old at this point.  The garmin mount is slick and it charges via USB-C, which things seem to be moving towards.

Rear light I use a genuine RTL515 for the radar.

carbonazza

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2023, 02:15:24 PM »
I absolutely love the Towild CL800 ...

Thank you for the Towild reference, I'll check them out.
I'm giving up on Gaciron, great lights but shitty straps, I bought a lot of them along the years, and lost either the straps, part of them or the lights. I tried to explain the issues but they don't get having the strap part of the light make impossible to lose one or the other.

sandwich

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2023, 03:26:46 PM »
I was wrong, it’s the BR800. They are pretty cheap and I may some day end up with a third. They just click right in so I have a mount on the commuter, road bike, and even Tt bike for safety.