Author Topic: Expensive world tour bike snaps into two  (Read 846 times)

Velovelo

Expensive world tour bike snaps into two
« on: May 12, 2023, 06:26:50 AM »

Lately I've been looking into getting a UCI frameset for a change, at the best price to quality ratio compared to open mold frames.

Seeing a world tour bike snap into two like this scott bike in the video makes me wonder if the high price to get a frame with a UCI sticker is even worth it?

kbernstein

Re: Expensive world tour bike snaps into two
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2023, 06:46:06 AM »
The UCI sticker is NOT an indication of quality iirc. It just has to do with the geometry and weight, I don't think it says anything about how safe a bike should be. They aren't any "better" just because they have the sticker.
But FTR I don't think it's fair to blame Scott for a hard crash like that, many bikes would have snapped just like that, plus pros sometimes have a special lighter carbon layup than us so their bikes are technically more fragile

Velovelo

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2023, 07:28:46 AM »
For some reason bike marketers generally use the UCI badge as a form of signaling the level of quality of a frame. That's what I am trying to say.

No matter the branding or stickers involved in a super high end bike, I as a customer would be fully satisfied if the frame can withstand this kind of abuse in this SAVA bike frame abuse video :D :D
I'm pretty sure that scott frame would not survive such abuse.
Basically with that scott, one crit race crash and your super expensive frame is gone forever.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 07:35:31 AM by Velovelo »

svanimpe

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2023, 01:53:59 AM »
There's also Chinese OEMs who sell those low-weight, super fragile frames if you like living on the edge and weigh less than 90 kgs ;)

BerndSon

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2023, 12:53:14 PM »
For some reason bike marketers generally use the UCI badge as a form of signaling the level of quality of a frame. That's what I am trying to say.

No matter the branding or stickers involved in a super high end bike, I as a customer would be fully satisfied if the frame can withstand this kind of abuse in this SAVA bike frame abuse video :D :D
I'm pretty sure that scott frame would not survive such abuse.
Basically with that scott, one crit race crash and your super expensive frame is gone forever.

I wouldn`t give a sh** about such "tests". In my opinion, this tells absolutely nothing about the quality and functional stability of a frame.
The challenge is to design a frame (or rather its carbon layout) so that it meets the requirements of cycling, but not that you can run over it with your car or that it withstands smashing it against a curb (-> he wouldn`t have done that with one of the main tube agains an edge since they are a lot thinner.)
Of course i would also prefer a sturdy frame for crit racing, but i dont believe the way to find it is watching out for one that withstands such completely unrelated abuse.

Of course a Frame shouldnt snap in a minor accident but this is what you get with a regular frame which doesn`t try to save the last 150 grams.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 12:56:12 PM by BerndSon »

Pedaldancer

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2023, 04:33:14 PM »
It can always be bad luck, depending on exactly how you crash down.
The Sava test indeed does tell about its robustness against slowly rised pressure (so it's not that weak), but this is different from the very short strong peak of a crash.
Still does not tell you if the sava wouldn't fail in a crash.  ;D

Velovelo

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2023, 10:48:15 PM »
I see the point you guys are making. However, just like the guys in the SAVA video are abusing that frame for fun / marketing, on a serious note, If we pay a lot for a high end frame it better not snap into half that easily in real world circumstance. Other riders were also involved in that crash but I didn't notice any other snapped top&down tubes. Was that particular scott frame poorly manufactured or a standard issue even if its for their pro riders? Deadly excuse.   
In this case a snapped top and down tube (think sharp spear into the stomach) is more deadly in a bunch crash than getting sliced by a disc rotor.
Big brands should do better. Chase safety ALWAYS over lighter and "faster".

When are we gonna question the logic that it is ok to let big brands sell such fragile frames for performance & $ sake. And then we also find excuses for them when their frames fail badly?

« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 10:57:18 PM by Velovelo »

jonathanf2

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2023, 12:10:21 AM »
I'll take that Sava frame over the Scott frame in a heartbeat. It's not like these western brands are offering me any substantial value for my money. At the end of the day bikes are just tools. I'd rather invest improving my fitness, nutrition, endurance and strength. The more Rapha gear and costly bike I see another cyclist riding, the more I want to drop them with brute force.