Author Topic: Magene QED P325 Crankset  (Read 1679 times)

dsveddy

Magene QED P325 Crankset
« on: May 22, 2023, 12:27:34 PM »
Hi all,

I ordered a Magene QED P325 power meter a few months ago and wanted to share some disappointing news. I've always noticed the chainring had a bit of runout, but didn't think much of it. It wasn't until I put an Ultegra derailleur on that the problem became really noticeable, and it's pretty much impossible to set the front derailleur now. I've tried making a warranty claim, complete with a video of the runout, but the Magene email support punts me to the dealer support, and the Magene official store on aliexpress claims this amount of runout is normal, and refuses to send a replacement.

I've uploaded a video to youtube ( ) titled: Magene QED P325 chainring runout, which clearly demonstrates the problem, and I use the video to estimate that the magnitude of the chainring runout is 0.9mm. Clearly unacceptable.

Even more frightening, the Magene website page on warranty says: If products purchased from other official Magene channels (for example, AliExpress, Amazon, etc.), the warranty policy of that channel shall prevail.

From this, I get the sense that Magene is basically putting me at the mercy of their Aliexpress dealer for all warranty claims. 

I think it's really disheartening to see Magene let customers down like this at the warranty step. Magene postures as a premium brand, with premium prices for the China-components market. I paid $500 for this crankset. You would expect at least a modicum of warranty service. All this warranty claim would take is sending a replacement chainring, which I've seen on AliEx for $75. Why they refuse is beyond me.

If you are thinking about buying from Magene, I seriously would reconsider and think about the warranty service you've seen people receive.

There are many alternatives to Magene power meters and cranks. There is Sigeyi. There is XCADEY. An XCADEY power meter and crank is a similar claimed weight as the QED and costs about $100 less.

TidyDinosaur

Re: Magene QED P325 Crankset
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2023, 12:49:57 PM »
I dunno, but if I were you I would just try to bend it straight... No idea how hard it would be...

zerstorer

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2023, 08:20:15 PM »
Sorry to hear that. I have had mine since last August and I am quite happy with how it's performing. Maybe you took too long to complain about the runout, might as well just get a new chainring and close this chapter.

dsveddy

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2023, 09:29:58 PM »
Seems I got the final word today on their offer. After getting hot-potatoed between the Aliexpress store and their service email, it seems the Aliexpress store has offered me the option to pay to send them the crankset, pay a service fee, and then pay for it to be shipped back. Absolutely ridiculous in my opinion.

Sorry to hear that. I have had mine since last August and I am quite happy with how it's performing. Maybe you took too long to complain about the runout, might as well just get a new chainring and close this chapter.

I get the sense this is the case. I received the crank in the beginning of March, contacted them at the end of March. Clearly, 3 weeks was too long. It's just very disappointing that these guys refuse to do the minimum for warranty, which would simply be to send over a new chainring. What is someone to do if their power meter craps out? This $500 power meter is now going to cost me $80 more than originally intended.

I've attached my chat and email logs so people can see what my customer service experience has been like. I had alerted them about this problem no later than a month after receiving the product. I made nice videos explaining the problem. I am pretty upset with the poor service and at this point, I have no confidence in the Magene official store's service. I hope anyone thinking of ordering from them at least take my experience into consideration.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 09:38:24 PM by dsveddy »

zerstorer

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2023, 11:31:22 PM »
Maybe counter offer to ship them just the chainring and they ship a replacement to you?

dsveddy

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2024, 05:26:20 PM »
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to update, even though it's been over 6 months since I interacted with Magene's customer service. The take-home message is I'm fed up with Magene's customer service and engineering. I've come to the conclusion that the QED crankset (in particular, the integrated chainring) is badly engineered (as I explain later), and there is absolutely no recourse via customer service and/or aftermarket options. Seriously don't buy these things, (either version with the integrated chainrings--power meter or not) they suck and are irredeemable in every way.

Their marketing department reached out in June and promised me a new chainring. They also begged me to delete this thread (see attachment) because it made them look bad. As appalling as I found their plea, I didn't want to share it because I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt, in case the chainring actually solved the problem (spoiler alert: it didn't). The new chainring came in a partially-crushed box, was bent out-of-the-box, and it only worsened over time. In the ensuing months I had thought about making an extensive Hambini-style takedown/reaming video, and just didn't get around to it since I'm busy trying to graduate from my PhD program. But today I finally replaced the damn thing and found enough anger in my heart to make this post. I think the lesson here is that you should exercise caution when buying from Magene. Their fancy marketing does not set them apart, they are just like every other Chinese brand. They seem to make some decent products (i.e. the PES) but if you get a dud product from them you are well-and-truly fucked.

So: what's wrong with it? Fundamentally, the chainring deviates from the centerline by around 0.5-0.9mm. This is enough deviation that the chain will hit the derailleur when you approach a gear on the end of your cassette, especially when sprinting. You can check my previous posts in this thread for videos. This problem really rears its ugly head with Shimano's derailleurs, which are exceptionally narrow. No amount of derailleur tuning has solved my problem. I've even resorted to trying to bend the rings back to place--to no avail. This problem seems to get worse over time, suggesting that this chainring is so weak and poorly designed it cannot handle the stresses of your average rider. (Like many people, I can briefly hit 1000W in a sprint). You can imagine how annoying must be in a sprint. I can't count how many times I think I have managed to get the derailleur tuning just right, only to hear it grinding away at the lightest suggestion of a sprint in my 12t. Sometimes I've even had it bend so much into the derailleur that it knocked the chain off.

Normally you could solve this issue by buying an after-market replacement chainring or spider. Well, it turns out the direct-mount engagement pattern is completely proprietary to Magene. Superficially, it resembles Shimano MTB or Cannondale's direct-mount standards, except it's like an inverse of Shimano MTB-DM. It's more similar to Cannondale's standard, except that instead of 2 long lobes on the spider, it has just 1. In any case, if you don't want to deal with Magene's stupid chainrings, you're fucked. These cranks are officially useless.

Oh, also, the issues with the power signal randomly dropping out that DC rainmaker found on the original P325CS cranksets seems to be still happening. Hooking up the chargers to the pods is fiddly, you have to contort the cables in orientations that are not natural for them to be in, and then hope you have aligned and supported them just right so the magnets will take. If you screw this up at all, the magnets fall off and you fail to charge. Another thing I don't like about the crankarm-mounted power meters is they stick out quite a lot. Like around 1cm. I get that this is an aero-weenie complaint, but theoretically this is a problem for aerodynamics--the crank arms turn out to be a pretty important area for optimization and having a pod sticking off of them undermines that.

Before I replaced my cranks, I had some shred of a reservation that maybe these issues were just because Shimano's front derailleur cages are so narrow. But after replacing them with a unit from Incolor, I can confidently say that it's Magene's fault.

Given that I have no way I have no idea what I'm going to do with them now. Maybe I'll give them away to someone with a bike that has a wider derailleur cage.

Let my $500 mistake be a warning to you. Don't trust Magene.

Gosy

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2024, 06:03:01 AM »
do i understand right the problem is that the spider is not correct ? a new chainring will then not solve .

dsveddy

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2024, 11:56:05 AM »
The fundamental problem is the Magene integrated spider+chainring made for this crankset is too soft and bends out-of-true through normal use.

Normally this problem could be solved by replacing it with a heavier, stiffer/stronger spider + chainring. But the secondary problem is that this is not an option, because the spider interface is proprietary and Magene does not sell a (non power meter) spider for this crankset, at least not in western markets.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 12:06:59 PM by dsveddy »

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2024, 08:13:06 AM »
Normally this problem could be solved by replacing it with a heavier, stiffer/stronger spider + chainring. But the secondary problem is that this is not an option, because the spider interface is proprietary and Magene does not sell a (non power meter) spider for this crankset, at least not in western markets.

And that's why you probably should have stayed away from this combo in the first place... Chinese components with proprietary parts is a bad idea.

dsveddy

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2024, 08:04:15 PM »
And that's why you probably should have stayed away from this combo in the first place... Chinese components with proprietary parts is a bad idea.

I had no idea it was proprietary when I bought it. Honestly it never occurred to me a Chinese manufacturer would be stupid enough to use a proprietary spider standard, and then not make and sell the proper spare parts. Their previous 325 crankset used the Sram 8-bolt standard, I thought Magene was going to follow suit on the next generation and use another widely-used standard. They hide the spider interface in a lot of their marketing material. I thought it was because they wanted to avoid getting hit by IP disputes. The whole point of this post is to warn people to stay away from this crankset and avoid making the same mistake I did, and the mere fact that Magene made the choice to invent a standard and then leave their users high-and-dry should reflect poorly on Magene as a company.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 08:06:48 PM by dsveddy »

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2024, 01:54:38 AM »
Yeah, it's an honest mistake...

When I was looking at the 505 PM I checked the interface they use for the PM/crank combo, and when I saw it was again proprietary I just bought the stand alone PM with the 3-bolt interface even though the price was about the same as the PM+crank.

zerstorer

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2024, 07:49:20 AM »
Well have to say that I have no issues with my set. It's been 100% reliable and there hasn't been a single signal loss or dropout in over a year of riding.

Gosy

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2024, 02:18:46 PM »
i get the base 505 . i think if you broke a crank you can get replace.

Wet Noodle

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2024, 11:42:38 AM »
The fundamental problem is the Magene integrated spider+chainring made for this crankset is too soft and bends out-of-true through normal use.

As the milk is already spilled anyway: I assume you don't have access to a mill or to someone who knows someone ...? In that very unlikely case, reverse engineering the interface could have been an option to save an otherwise (assumedly) perfectly fine piece of metal.

(I've been riding a sram crank with a custom-made spider for years, not machined, though, just laser cut (which is peanuts compared to machining work). My only point is: In theory, it could be done.)

dsveddy

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2024, 04:09:48 PM »
As the milk is already spilled anyway: I assume you don't have access to a mill or to someone who knows someone ...? In that very unlikely case, reverse engineering the interface could have been an option to save an otherwise (assumedly) perfectly fine piece of metal.

(I've been riding a sram crank with a custom-made spider for years, not machined, though, just laser cut (which is peanuts compared to machining work). My only point is: In theory, it could be done.)

This is something I’d like to do. I even have a copy of solid works on my work computer I could use to design this spider.

Really though, I don’t think it’s worth my time and money. I’d probably end up designing a spider-shaped-object that has some fatal  flaw in it because I overlooked something in the planning process.

Maybe I can find a machine shop willing to do the job for me, but then the question is how expensive will it be?

I think I’m just going to sell it as-is for whatever I can get for it.