Author Topic: What kind of lube are y'all putting inside of the freehub?  (Read 1174 times)

s3si1u

Hi y'all,

I recently switched from an HG to an XDR freehub on my Farsports road bike wheels with Bitex hubs. 
Long story short, the pawls on the HG freehub had some kinda gloop on them, definitely lubed during assembly. The XDR freehub I purchased was dry. I applied some drops of mineral oil (the kind for brakes) based on google searches. ;D
The freehub is a bit louder now than it was with the Shimano freehub, but I kinda like that. ;D Does anyone know if I'm causing any damage by not applying some kind of heavier grease? Is a heavier grease "worse" for performance?
If I should be using a heavier lube, does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks!

Instagram: @aerosloth

jefflinde

Re: What kind of lube are y'all putting inside of the freehub?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 08:22:19 AM »
Personally I would say mineral oil is too kite of an oil for a free hub.  If you like the loudness then I would get an oil specifically for free hubs. Dumonde tech makes one I have used in the past but I am sure there are others.  As for grease, I like using Shimano dura ace grease or park tools high performance grease.  Usually the ticker the grease the quieter the hub will be. 

As for too much, yeah you can add to much or to thick of a grease.  Basically if the grease thickness or volume inhibits the paws from springing back then that is not good.