Author Topic: LTWOO ER9 & ERX - Electronic groepsets  (Read 71992 times)

MccWcc

Re: LTWOO ER9 & ERX - Electronic groepsets
« Reply #420 on: February 18, 2024, 11:27:16 AM »
My eRX Rear Derailleur stops working during ride. Anybody have a fix?

One hour into ride, rear derailleur “crashed” in gear 12. Derailleur would not come out of 12th gear. There was noise coming from the derailleur, but no movement. Front derailleur kept working.
When I plugged the charger onto the derailleur, nothing changed. It will not come out of 12th gear so I can't recalibrate via the App. Front derailleur still working.

Is there something I can do? Do I need a new rear derailleur?

Thank you for your help!

Dmgreen13

« Reply #421 on: February 18, 2024, 08:31:21 PM »
Is crash protection on the app on or off?

Serge_K

« Reply #422 on: February 19, 2024, 03:52:32 AM »

One hour into ride, rear derailleur “crashed” in gear 12. Derailleur would not come out of 12th gear. There was noise coming from the derailleur, but no movement. Front derailleur kept working.
When I plugged the charger onto the derailleur, nothing changed. It will not come out of 12th gear so I can't recalibrate via the App. Front derailleur still working.

Thank you for your help!

Do you have the version of the battery that holds batteries with tabs or springs? It's been established that the tabs version led to problems, vs i'm unaware of problems with the springs version. I would start there, because if you have the tabs version, contact LTWOO and get a springs version. The battery housing weighs nothing so shipping it to you should be super cheap for them. And in the meantime, you can add shims to increase the pressure / tension on the system.

It is unlikely that any of your group is broken, stuff typically doesnt randomly breaks just like that, especially when it's new and you weren't doing anything weird with it.

MccWcc

« Reply #423 on: February 19, 2024, 04:27:25 AM »
Is crash protection on the app on or off?

Thanks for your feedback. I checked settings in the App and "Gear Protection" was "OFF." I switched it "ON" and nothing changed. The RD still makes a movement sound, but no movement. The App thinks it is in gear 10. when I try to switch up or down, the App jumps to the gear, but then switches back to gear 10 when the RD motor stops.

MccWcc

« Reply #424 on: February 19, 2024, 04:34:25 AM »
Do you have the version of the battery that holds batteries with tabs or springs? It's been established that the tabs version led to problems, vs i'm unaware of problems with the springs version. I would start there, because if you have the tabs version, contact LTWOO and get a springs version. The battery housing weighs nothing so shipping it to you should be super cheap for them. And in the meantime, you can add shims to increase the pressure / tension on the system.

It is unlikely that any of your group is broken, stuff typically doesnt randomly breaks just like that, especially when it's new and you weren't doing anything weird with it.

Thanks Serge_K. I have the battery with the springs version insert. I hope you are right, and nothing is broken. I am trying to exercise warranty through "LTWOO Official Store" on Aliexpress, but so far no luck.

Serge_K

« Reply #425 on: February 19, 2024, 09:39:54 AM »
I've installed 5 ER9 groups in the last 2 weeks. 1 gave me issues for some reason, but it was my fault. Make sure the limit screws are set properly, as well as the 3rd screw that sets the tension on the cage. The RD protects itself very quickly, so if any of the 3 screws are off, the cage wont shift. It's given me a new appreciation for my own incompetence and the fact that stuff usually works as long as it's installed and setup properly. During the builds i'm often thinking "this is such POS" but then an hour later, or a week later, i realize it's just me being incompetent / thick / tired.
Did you unplug and reset? battery's charged?
If you remove the wheel, does the RD shift? Are both FD & RD running the latest firmwares?

EDIT: setting the 3 screws and calibrating the gears (as well as the FD) is somewhat of an iterative process. If you change a limit screw, your calibration of the RD is likely to need updating. I wont pretend that I understand how everything affects everything, but the point is the moment you change the tension on 1 screw, there's a decent chance the rest of the system is affected. And if ONE thing is off, everything can be off, and the RD tends to protect itself and refuse shifting until it's happy with alignments and what not.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 07:32:20 AM by Serge_K »

Sebastian

« Reply #426 on: February 19, 2024, 10:04:59 AM »
I've installed 5 ER9 groups in the last 2 weeks. 1 gave me issues for some reason, but it was my fault. Make sure the limit screws are set properly, as well as the 3rd screw that sets the tension on the cage. The RD protects itself very quickly, so if any of the 3 screws are off, the cage wont shift. It's given me a new appreciation for my own incompetence and the fact that stuff usually works as long as it's installed and setup properly. During the builds i'm often thinking "this is such POS" but then an hour later, or a week later, i realize it's just me being incompetent / thick / tired.
Did you unplug and reset? battery's charged?
If you remove the wheel, does the RD shift? Are both FD & RD running the latest firmwares?

I second that. I've found that as soon as the RD's motor will experience excessive vibration or resistance it will stop shifting and/or shift back to it's original position. For instance, it avoided the big big chainring/casette sprocket combo when I had the RD's upper pulley set up too close to the cassette. It didn't touch. But the vibrations alone caused it to immediately shift back as soon as it went into that gear. A short tweak of the b-screw and the issue stopped.

boxof13

« Reply #427 on: February 20, 2024, 06:40:20 PM »
Has anyone found any replacement parts yet, things like hoods for example.

80 Designer Store has now put an eR9 RD listing. I am guessing we will start to see more replacement parts listed up on AliExpress.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806373886040.html

edit: They also already had cables, battery holder/box and charger listed for quite a while.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 08:31:50 PM by boxof13 »

jonathanf2

« Reply #428 on: February 21, 2024, 11:48:30 AM »
If using the silicone grease method to protect the RD cable, has the ER9/ERX groupset gone through enough manufacturing revisions to be recommended (by users on here)? It looks like most of the kinks have been ironed out and if the silicone grease does indeed enhance weather protection, one could just buy a backup battery/cable set off 80 Design Store for $20 USD and the rest of the components should be solid.

neobiker

« Reply #429 on: February 21, 2024, 01:05:16 PM »
What about the heat shrink tubes? They are waterproof and they sure protect from water entering the RD?

zerstorer

« Reply #430 on: February 21, 2024, 03:06:54 PM »
The cable plugs into a slight indent. I don't think there's enough space for shrink wrap to work properly.

I coat liquid electrical tape around the indent to form a waterproof seal and it's been solid.

Dmgreen13

« Reply #431 on: February 21, 2024, 10:10:38 PM »

Thank you for your help!

Did you work this out?

Serge_K

« Reply #432 on: February 22, 2024, 08:55:54 AM »
Because i'm intellectually challenged, i went for a ride and the battery of the er9 died on me. Folks, don't forget to charge your group regularly, please be smarter than me :)
I am not using the original l-twoo batteries because of problems with shipping lithium internationally, so i bought what i found, and the capacity of the cells i found is SHIT. Therefore, i think i can get 500km autonomy or so. This is, afaik, the lithium's fault, not l-twoo's fault. Charge your group very regularly, it's quick to do, but no juicy, no sexy. Was a flat ride, was ok. In the mountains, it would have sucked hard.

Does anyone know if there's a garmin data field with the battery indicator of the er9/erx group?

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #433 on: February 22, 2024, 09:22:55 AM »
Because i'm intellectually challenged, i went for a ride and the battery of the er9 died on me. Folks, don't forget to charge your group regularly, please be smarter than me :)
I am not using the original l-twoo batteries because of problems with shipping lithium internationally, so i bought what i found, and the capacity of the cells i found is SHIT. Therefore, i think i can get 500km autonomy or so. This is, afaik, the lithium's fault, not l-twoo's fault. Charge your group very regularly, it's quick to do, but no juicy, no sexy. Was a flat ride, was ok. In the mountains, it would have sucked hard.

Does anyone know if there's a garmin data field with the battery indicator of the er9/erx group?

Try https://www.nkon.nl/ for batteries

boxof13

« Reply #434 on: February 22, 2024, 10:05:42 AM »

It happens to the best of us! I now carry the USB charger cable with a USB C to A converter, so I can quickly top up just enough to get me home/anywhere to stop and charge using only my phone. Both the cable and USB converter are so compact I can easily shove them in my saddle bag.