Author Topic: LTWOO ER9 & ERX - Electronic groepsets  (Read 73823 times)

jonathanf2

Re: LTWOO ER9 & ERX - Electronic groepsets
« Reply #600 on: April 10, 2024, 09:47:21 AM »
That's interesting. can you please link to your OSPW? On the er9, if you run 11-34 (native) or 11-36 (with a small cage extender), in small small, there's a lot of chain slack. Mind you, the app has "gear protection" that prevents that, plus you shouldn't cross chain, but if the OSPW acts as some de facto clutch, it becomes a lot less useless as an upgrade, at which point i'm curious to try. And I agree w you, i'm not paying 500$ for that farce.
It then becomes a question of whether there's an OSPW option for the er9/x.

I found with the ER9 50-34/11-34t is the biggest cassette I could run with minimal chain slack. Chain length remained the same from my previous 11-32t when I was running mechanical and I can still safely clear big/big if I go there by accident. Though I'm wondering if there's some sort of Shimano patent for removable derailleur cages? I wonder why LTwoo and Sensah insist on non-removable cages?

Here's the link to that OSPW:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806117049941.html

If you look closely at the photos you can see the 4 tension hole adjustments.

One more thought: I find gear protection an acceptable trade-off on the ER9/X because I feel small/small is where you'll most likely drop a chain. I also plan on keeping my chain catcher as an added bit of insurance.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 10:26:48 AM by jonathanf2 »

Avalius

« Reply #601 on: April 11, 2024, 06:16:46 AM »

Here's the link to that OSPW:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806117049941.html

If you look closely at the photos you can see the 4 tension hole adjustments.

One more thought: I find gear protection an acceptable trade-off on the ER9/X because I feel small/small is where you'll most likely drop a chain. I also plan on keeping my chain catcher as an added bit of insurance.

Avoid these cages at all costs. Broke two of these, last one on a cobble section in a race. Pure garbage! Consider yourself warned :)

jonathanf2

« Reply #602 on: April 11, 2024, 09:30:13 AM »
Avoid these cages at all costs. Broke two of these, last one on a cobble section in a race. Pure garbage! Consider yourself warned :)

I've been riding these on some of the roughest urban Los Angeles roads with no issues. I don't ride my road bikes in the rain, only use immersive waxed chains and they work fine. If you crashed, it probably would have happened to the real Ceramic Speed OSPW. It's getting to the point people keep saying everything is junk on AliExpress, but for some weird reason all the junk seems to work for me with proper care and maintenance.

I'm starting to think on the same lines as @Serge_K that most problems people have on here are due to user error/negligence.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 11:53:49 AM by jonathanf2 »

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #603 on: April 11, 2024, 11:42:40 AM »
I've been riding these on some of the roughest urban Los Angeles roads with no issues. I don't ride my road bikes in the rain, only use immersive waxed chains and they work fine. If you crashed, it probably would have happened to the real Ceramic Speed OSPW. It's getting to the point people keep saying everything is junk on AliExpress, but for some weird reason all the junk seems to work for me with proper care and maitenance.

I'm starting to think on the same lines as @Serge_K that most problems people have on here are due to user error/negligence.

I don't know, I have also seen some bad reviews of those cages you link to. I must admit I had been thinking about ordering one, but the chances of damage if it snaps is just too high for me... You could end up with a damaged frame and a ruined wheel if it snaps and you chain rips off the derailleur...

jonathanf2

« Reply #604 on: April 11, 2024, 12:45:09 PM »
I don't know, I have also seen some bad reviews of those cages you link to. I must admit I had been thinking about ordering one, but the chances of damage if it snaps is just too high for me... You could end up with a damaged frame and a ruined wheel if it snaps and you chain rips off the derailleur...

My bikes should have exploded 10 times over with all the questionable parts I'm using from AliExpress. With weather heating up in my area, I'm more worried about running over a rattlesnake and having that rip off my derailleur. I've already accidentally run over 3 snakes alone this year on my bikes!  ;D

Benbenben

« Reply #605 on: April 12, 2024, 08:01:13 PM »
Weird thing I have noticed. When I tried to fit the chain to the bike after installing the er9, I noticed that the chain was not sitting right on the lower pulley. I suspected that the person who assembled the RD mixed up lower & upper pulley. I switched them and it it's all good now.

But, when searching pictures of the groupset after just by curiosity, I found pictures of both configurations.

Does anyone have an explanation to that?

coffeebreak

« Reply #606 on: April 13, 2024, 06:57:16 PM »
My ER9 shipped immediately but hit a snag. The package has been returned back to sender. I have never seen this happening before and I order a LOT. Bad news?

Update on this. Aliexpress finally refunded the money today even though package went back on March 29th. Has anyone had any luck with customer service to re-apply coupon?

jonathanf2

« Reply #607 on: April 14, 2024, 09:38:31 AM »
Weird thing I have noticed. When I tried to fit the chain to the bike after installing the er9, I noticed that the chain was not sitting right on the lower pulley. I suspected that the person who assembled the RD mixed up lower & upper pulley. I switched them and it it's all good now.

But, when searching pictures of the groupset after just by curiosity, I found pictures of both configurations.

I don't think it matters all that much. Though my came with the bigger 12t lower pulley wheel and the small 11t upper pulley wheel. I did notice the pulley wheels swapped in various photos, but in operation my arrangement shifts fine.

Tijoe

« Reply #608 on: April 14, 2024, 11:06:22 AM »
FYI.  I have put 100 miles on my new Wheeltop EDS TX Disc kit.   I am very impressed with the quality and how good the EDS TX is working.   The only thing I dislike is the ergonomics of the shift paddles on the right shift/brake lever.  My fingers are having a hard time hitting the right button now and again, and more often on single track trails when the bike is bouncing around.  I presume that as I get used to the paddle operation, it will become more second nature and I will mess up fewer shifts.

I was a lot more impressed with the disc caliper's stopping power than I thought I would be.   

I was thinking about the ER9 or ERX, but I am sold on the EDS TX kit now.   I hope the WheelTop products become more readily available in the USA, I have another bike I want to upgrade.

jonathanf2

« Reply #609 on: April 14, 2024, 01:28:47 PM »
I've also been riding my ER9 groupset without a hitch and I ride on some rough road terrain and it just works. I have my ER9 gear tuned perfectly, quality replaceable batteries are cheap/plentiful, the high speed shifts are faster than any of my mechanical bikes and gear protection does a great job minimizing chain drops + keeping chain line optimized. On price alone I would probably get another ER9 groupset. No complaints on brakes either, they work fine.

Serge_K

« Reply #610 on: April 15, 2024, 03:25:21 AM »

the lower pulley has a narrow / wide teeth config, so you have to feed the chain correctly. i guess it helps with shifting quality?

Benbenben

« Reply #611 on: April 15, 2024, 07:59:42 AM »
Well, I had to swap the pulleys. 11 speed chain was blocking in the cage plate with the big pulley installed in the lower position. I am surprised if some of you were able to run the chain through with that config.

jcr

« Reply #612 on: April 15, 2024, 08:06:03 AM »
Latest coupon is out AED369 $50 off

coffeebreak

« Reply #613 on: April 15, 2024, 11:22:35 AM »
Unlike Anniversary sale, the EGR this time is ~$1 cheaper than ER9. Both down to $370 - $50 coupon. The deal is back. On the other hand all EDS TX groups from 2-3 different vendors that I had added to cart before sale have expired just today. So no dice on them at least in the USA.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 11:24:15 AM by coffeebreak »

jonathanf2

« Reply #614 on: April 15, 2024, 11:52:26 AM »
At this sale price point, I'd consider getting a spare ER9 groupset. I really need to stop looking at AliExpress! lol