Author Topic: LTWOO ER9 & ERX - Electronic groepsets  (Read 77438 times)

BalticSea

Re: LTWOO ER9 & ERX - Electronic groepsets
« Reply #135 on: September 14, 2023, 03:52:48 AM »
Just saying you can get Shimano 105 di2 with cransket, chain and cassette for 768€ here: https://www.bike-components.de/en/Shimano/105-Di2-R7150-Groupset-2x12-34-50-p88663/

So maybe 100€ difference with LTWOO tax included.

That's a nice deal (although shows up as roughly 850€, prob duo to vat difference?), I guess they have a sale because of mechanical 105 launch (which is now more expensive than Di2 counterpart).

However - lack of choice is sad. No option for 52/36 chainrings or 165mm crank arms. Buying a new crank and selling this one will result in additional cost, buying parts separately is more expensive as well

neobiker

« Reply #136 on: September 14, 2023, 09:09:46 AM »
True. But one of the key selling points of LTWOO er9 for me is the flexibility it offers. I wouldn't have to upgrade my drivetrain components. I keep my lightweight 11sp cassette. I keep my chain. I keep my powermeter crankset and I only upgrade to electronic shifting. In my country, the cheapest offer for LTWOO er9 is 460 EUR. Nothing else can match that.

105 Di2 at that kind of discount is tempting, but I'd have to upgrade to 12speed and downgrade some of my drivetrain components.
There's also super cheap offers for Sram Force etap upgrade kits. But again, I'm stuck with 12 speed, I need a different freehub body, different cassette, different chain, different chainrings. So all in all these options are always significantly more expensive.

If you build a bike from scratch and have no other components lying around, I agree that LTWOO is a lot less tempting, however.

Do you really need a new freehub for 12 speed? I thought the cassette was compatible with HG L.

I would pay slightly more for reliability per discount. Especially as you can buy replacement part easily from shimano.

neobiker

« Reply #137 on: September 14, 2023, 09:11:35 AM »
That's a nice deal (although shows up as roughly 850€, prob duo to vat difference?), I guess they have a sale because of mechanical 105 launch (which is now more expensive than Di2 counterpart).

However - lack of choice is sad. No option for 52/36 chainrings or 165mm crank arms. Buying a new crank and selling this one will result in additional cost, buying parts separately is more expensive as well

A Shimano 105 crankset is around 110€. I guess you could call this a customization premium, and it is probably only a matter of time before the price decrease further xD.

Sebastian

« Reply #138 on: September 14, 2023, 09:32:07 AM »
Do you really need a new freehub for 12 speed? I thought the cassette was compatible with HG L.

I would pay slightly more for reliability per discount. Especially as you can buy replacement part easily from shimano.

You need a new freehub for Sram cassettes is what I meant. With Shimano, you „only“ need to upgrade everything to 12sp. Still, either option requires you to buy many more components than just shifters, brakes and derailleurs.

PLA

« Reply #139 on: September 14, 2023, 09:38:57 AM »
You need a new freehub for Sram cassettes is what I meant. With Shimano, you „only“ need to upgrade everything to 12sp. Still, either option requires you to buy many more components than just shifters, brakes and derailleurs.

surprisingly you also need a 12speed cassette!  :o :o :o :o
It’s so clearly a LARP of an aero bike.

jonathanf2

« Reply #140 on: September 14, 2023, 10:58:45 AM »
With everyone going 12 speed and electronic, I've noticed an uptick of 11 speed Ultegra/105/GRX hydraulic shifters being sold. I already put a few bids on some shifters. After hearing all the mixed reports about LTwoo, and the fact I don't feel like buying new cranks/chains/cassettes, staying 11 speed mechanical doesn't sound like such a bad idea!

Takiyaki

« Reply #141 on: September 14, 2023, 01:57:58 PM »
With everyone going 12 speed and electronic, I've noticed an uptick of 11 speed Ultegra/105/GRX hydraulic shifters being sold. I already put a few bids on some shifters. After hearing all the mixed reports about LTwoo, and the fact I don't feel like buying new cranks/chains/cassettes, staying 11 speed mechanical doesn't sound like such a bad idea!
Yea I have zero appetite to go 12 speed. 11 speed works fine for me, has more choice and costs less. If I ever go electronic it will be used R8070.

jonathanf2

« Reply #142 on: September 14, 2023, 06:04:01 PM »
Seems like proper timing for this podcast from China Cycling to pop-up:

https://youtu.be/2kGWqQGtsxk?si=KCgoLO-0O4nLZps1

Dark17

« Reply #143 on: September 14, 2023, 11:07:36 PM »
Seems like proper timing for this podcast from China Cycling to pop-up:

https://youtu.be/2kGWqQGtsxk?si=KCgoLO-0O4nLZps1

Somewhat solidify my choice of getting mechanical for my upcoming build lol.
rematistang jempoy (sprinter fred) from The Philippines

wandulus

« Reply #144 on: September 15, 2023, 01:19:00 AM »
I think that LTWOO electronic WILL be a good option. Not today, may be in 2 years.
I just love SRAM's AXS, and the price AND performance must be very tempting to make me jump from this wagon.

Not strictly necessary. You can run a Shimano 12s (HG body) with SRAM AXS (I use that combo on the trainer). The issue is that you loss the 10t smallest cog (XDR is mandatory). Not a problem in the trainer, but could be an issue on road, with 46T or 48T big chainring.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 01:21:28 AM by wandulus »

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #145 on: September 15, 2023, 02:49:39 AM »

Yes, there is some nice stuff for sale on second hand sites... And most of it is taken really good care off.

The last Ultegra 11sp set I bought cost me 230 for shifters / FD / RD and cassette. Add 95€ for 2 new callipers, 45 for cables and chain and you have a nice set for 370. Add a nice Ali crank for 70€ and you have a total of 440€ (or get a second hand Ultegra crank for 120€).

If you build a bike like this you can have a 7,3kg bike for less than 2.000€

neobiker

« Reply #146 on: September 15, 2023, 03:18:29 AM »
Yes, there is some nice stuff for sale on second hand sites... And most of it is taken really good care off.

The last Ultegra 11sp set I bought cost me 230 for shifters / FD / RD and cassette. Add 95€ for 2 new callipers, 45 for cables and chain and you have a nice set for 370. Add a nice Ali crank for 70€ and you have a total of 440€ (or get a second hand Ultegra crank for 120€).

If you build a bike like this you can have a 7,3kg bike for less than 2.000€

You get a new Shimano 105 11 speed for 522€ on Wiggle. It is a bit less of a hassle.

Sebastian

« Reply #147 on: September 15, 2023, 03:52:51 AM »
You can run a Shimano 12s (HG body) with SRAM AXS (I use that combo on the trainer). The issue is that you loss the 10t smallest cog (XDR is mandatory). Not a problem in the trainer, but could be an issue on road, with 46T or 48T big chainring.

There is no HG 12sp cassette that is officially compatible with Sram road flattop chains, as far as I', aware. It's gonna work and it's gonna shift fine, I guess. But in theory the rollers and the ramping of the teeth don't fit together 100% resulting in accelerated wear. Most people seem to consider it a non issue, however.

BalticSea

« Reply #148 on: September 15, 2023, 03:59:12 AM »
There is no HG 12sp cassette that is officially compatible with Sram road flattop chains, as far as I', aware. It's gonna work and it's gonna shift fine, I guess. But in theory the rollers and the ramping of the teeth don't fit together 100% resulting in accelerated wear. Most people seem to consider it a non issue, however.

Sram's own 11-44t XPLR cassette (HG freehub compatible) is officially compatible with flat top chain

chughes

« Reply #149 on: September 15, 2023, 05:43:26 AM »
My take is that some of the criticism of Lwoo is unfair. Luke (trace Vello) admits that there was an issue with the trifox frame  where the FD hangar was moving. How sure is he that the FD did not sustain damage due to this? The other issue  is some persons are clearly purchasing  a beta version. At the time of their  purchase Ltwoo had not released hence it was not sold on their official page . Can  Ltwoo be blamed for persons who were part of its beta testing, turning around and selling the product they were to test?  There are simply too many variables, not being properly considered. I have 11 speed DI2 and I know there is an issue sometimes when you use the app, even after properly disconnecting, the gears won't shift. You cannot re-enter the app, because its now unable to see the device.. Took me awhile to figure out it still thinks its connected and I need to disconnect Bluetooth (Even Shimano released product has bugs)