Author Topic: LTWOO ER9 & ERX - Electronic groepsets  (Read 77499 times)

raisinberry777

Re: LTWOO ER9 & ERX - Electronic groepsets
« Reply #585 on: April 06, 2024, 12:39:45 AM »
Review of the new ERX from Local Alien / CLIFF on YouTube:

The new FD cage is a different shape from before. He's reporting less chain drops from front shifting compared to previous ERX.

Serge_K

« Reply #586 on: April 06, 2024, 02:20:58 PM »
I've installed my 5th er9 on a pinarello grevil clone I'm testing. Did a 4h gravel ride today, very varied terrain including technical stuff where you lose traction, have to choose your line, silly steep bits, all imaginable surfaces, blablabla. I put a 50/34 11/36 (all Chinese) with a 2 euro cage extender. I was shifting constantly and used all the gears. Didn't miss a shift. 34/36 really lets you climb up a tree, the limiting factor is my absence of skill and tendency to lift the front end. I ended up folded in two on top of the bars to keep traction.
Really pleased with the stuff.

Benbenben

« Reply #587 on: April 09, 2024, 05:33:53 AM »
I can't seem to find the er9 when I search it on the app. Any buttons I need to click to make it enter search mode? I tried searching that info many places.

Serge_K

« Reply #588 on: April 09, 2024, 05:48:44 AM »
The new FD cage is a different shape from before. He's reporting less chain drops from front shifting compared to previous ERX.

I've had my fair share of chain drops on one of the bikes i installed. It comes down to calibration / setting it up properly, after which, it doesnt drop. But all the better if they somehow improved that (I suspect he just installed / setup the new one better though).

I can't seem to find the er9 when I search it on the app. Any buttons I need to click to make it enter search mode? I tried searching that info many places.

Do you mean you're trying to pair the group with your phone using the app? as long as the group is on (which means as long as you can shift up / down with the shifters), your app on the phone should find it. If the group is sleeping, you wont find it. Make sure it's fully charged, make sure your bluetooth is on, your phone is charged, both FD & RD are connected to the battery, all the usual / obvious :) Sometimes my phone is in a bad mood and it takes 2-3 tries before connecting to a group, but i have 5 active groups on my app. It always ends up working.

kbernstein

« Reply #589 on: April 09, 2024, 06:12:55 AM »
I can't tell from the aliexpress pictures, are the derailleur cages swappable or glued like sensah? I would be curious if an OSPW could potentially increase the clearance a little bit for a gravel bike. Mine has 31-40 lowest and I'm still grinding up some climbs

Benbenben

« Reply #590 on: April 09, 2024, 06:16:30 AM »
Fixed now. It was the location permission from the phone that was preventing it to see the er9. Weird, but fixed. Thanks!

BoomerE36

« Reply #591 on: April 09, 2024, 10:04:39 AM »
Perhaps the wrong thread but I see there are people with tons of experience with the L-twoo unit and looks like an updated version is much improved. Any sense of how it compares so far to the new Wheetop EDX TX electronic groupset?

jonathanf2

« Reply #592 on: April 09, 2024, 01:20:25 PM »
So far I'm quite pleased with my ER9 groupset. I've been riding it back-to-back with my mechanical Ultegra bike and they're both good in their own ways. In my opinion, it's similar to driving an auto assist car versus a manual transmission. I find installing the ER9 easier than mechanical, but it's faster to tune mechanical once installed. Though I wish there were RD cage options with the ER9/X. The one thing I like with the OSPW Ceramic Speed knock-off I'm using on the Ultegra bike is the 4 levels of spring tension. For someone like me who climbs and descend rough California fire roads the added tension keeps the chain from bouncing without having to use a clutch RD. LTwoo's looser cage tension and smaller spring are a bit bouncy on rougher roads.

Sebastian

« Reply #593 on: April 09, 2024, 02:24:17 PM »
So far I'm quite pleased with my ER9 groupset. I've been riding it back-to-back with my mechanical Ultegra bike and they're both good in their own ways. In my opinion, it's similar to driving an auto assist car versus a manual transmission. I find installing the ER9 easier than mechanical, but it's faster to tune mechanical once installed. Though I wish there were RD cage options with the ER9/X. The one thing I like with the OSPW Ceramic Speed knock-off I'm using on the Ultegra bike is the 4 levels of spring tension. For someone like me who climbs and descend rough California fire roads the added tension keeps the chain from bouncing without having to use a clutch RD. LTwoo's looser cage tension and smaller spring are a bit bouncy on rougher roads.

Really? My er9 RD has the highest spring tension I ever had on a 2x derailleur without a clutch mechanism. I get virtually no chain slap from it but the FD has to work quite a bit to make the front shift smoothly as a result. I wonder if it's different to yours. My Campy Record 12sp RD is a lot looser in comparison and I do get more chain slap on it.

pecampbe

« Reply #594 on: April 09, 2024, 03:44:21 PM »
Today I sorted out my ER9 shifting. Unfortunately I picked the wrong bike frame to convert. I opted to use my TFSA (SL7 clone) frameset and despite having ports for Di2, the ER9 cable won't fit in the chainstay RD hole. So I had to route the cable externally. Also I tried running 52-36/11-34t and it's not that great. It shifts fine, but there's too much chain slack. I did try a shorter length chain while enabling gear protection, but you can still shift into big/big from small/big. I could potentially destroy the derailleur. I ended up sizing back down to 50-34 and kept the 11-34t. Chain length remained the same from my previous 50-34/11-32t combo.

So far I was able to properly fine tune shifting on my Goldix 12 speed 11-34t lightweight cassette. In fact the cassette shifts greats. I had some minor shift issues with the FD, though I was able to get it sorted. I installed an FD chain catcher for good measure (not needed on my Ultegra R8000 FD). Hopefully I'll be able to to get the bike up and running this weekend, and I'll report back.

Also I picked up a small packet of dielectric grease at the auto store. Just to verify, do I put it inside the connector port cable or just around the connector?

So the ER9 can be set up with 12 speed? I always see it advertised as an 11 speed groupset.

raisinberry777

« Reply #595 on: April 09, 2024, 04:01:27 PM »
So the ER9 can be set up with 12 speed? I always see it advertised as an 11 speed groupset.

Yes - you select the number of speeds in the app when setting up - it supports at least 10/11/12 (maybe more?).

Fleckinger

« Reply #596 on: April 09, 2024, 04:12:05 PM »
Yes - you select the number of speeds in the app when setting up - it supports at least 10/11/12 (maybe more?).
Luke TraceVelo in last video mention that after software update - it supports from 7 to 13 speed.

jonathanf2

« Reply #597 on: April 09, 2024, 05:20:33 PM »
Really? My er9 RD has the highest spring tension I ever had on a 2x derailleur without a clutch mechanism. I get virtually no chain slap from it but the FD has to work quite a bit to make the front shift smoothly as a result. I wonder if it's different to yours. My Campy Record 12sp RD is a lot looser in comparison and I do get more chain slap on it.

The main reason I run this Ceramic Speed knock-off OSPW (I'm not paying $500 USD for the real one) on my mechanical Shimano RD is for the 4 spring tension levels. It has 2 more spring coil holes more than the stock RD cage. I also have an Ultegra RX800 clutch RD on my gravel bike and I'd be fine with no clutch if Shimano had just pre-drilled additional holes into the cage, that way I could run the highest tension with no chain bounce. Plus I'm not too concerned about making a Shimano FD work, bar none Shimano makes the best FDs on the market. They just work!

If anything the ER9 is probably closer to stock Shimano cage tension. I already stress tested the ER9 on a really rough downhill descent and the chain was fine. It's just more personal preference for the way I ride.

Serge_K

« Reply #598 on: April 10, 2024, 01:55:31 AM »
The main reason I run this Ceramic Speed knock-off OSPW (I'm not paying $500 USD for the real one) on my mechanical Shimano RD is for the 4 spring tension levels. It has 2 more spring coil holes more than the stock RD cage.
If anything the ER9 is probably closer to stock Shimano cage tension. I already stress tested the ER9 on a really rough downhill descent and the chain was fine. It's just more personal preference for the way I ride.

That's interesting. can you please link to your OSPW? On the er9, if you run 11-34 (native) or 11-36 (with a small cage extender), in small small, there's a lot of chain slack. Mind you, the app has "gear protection" that prevents that, plus you shouldn't cross chain, but if the OSPW acts as some de facto clutch, it becomes a lot less useless as an upgrade, at which point i'm curious to try. And I agree w you, i'm not paying 500$ for that farce.
It then becomes a question of whether there's an OSPW option for the er9/x.

Sebastian

« Reply #599 on: April 10, 2024, 02:07:06 AM »
If anyone knows of an OSPW option that fits er9/erx, then I'd be interested as well. I'm happy to admit that for me it's mainly for the sake of vanity.  :P More adjustability in spring tension is a welcomed side effect, however.