Author Topic: ZTTO 9-42 11-speed XD cassette failure warning  (Read 714 times)

TidyDinosaur

ZTTO 9-42 11-speed XD cassette failure warning
« on: June 09, 2023, 12:22:15 PM »
So today my ZTTO cassette decided to self destruct...
All of a sudden, while crossing a busy road, my crank was spinning but the rear wheel was not. Seems the smallest 3 cogs had separated themselves from the rest of the cassette. All the pins had failed. Luckily the rest of the cassette was more or less in one piece and I could finish my ride without using the 3 smallest cogs.
Shifting was horrible though and the chain skipped on some cogs. I had no idea why until I took the cassette off the rear wheel when I got home. Not only the smallest 3 cogs came loose, but also in a few other places the cassette had come apart.
I bought 3 of these cassettes and not one worked very good or long. But this one was the worst. I don't know the mileage exactly, but I guess this cassette maybe had 3000 km.
I now replaced it with a SRAM GX 10-42 cassette. Needless to say I expect a much longer life from this cassette.

jonathanf2

Re: ZTTO 9-42 11-speed XD cassette failure warning
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 01:28:06 PM »
 I have ZTTO 11-50t cassette for an HG freehub. The construction is different with the 4 big cogs being a single piece and the small cogs separated with plastic spacers with no pins. I've been thinking about getting an XD freehub, but if this is an issue I think I'll stick with HG cassettes instead!

cybrsrce

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2023, 06:23:56 AM »
Had the same thing happen to a ZTTO 9-50t 12-speed XD cassette.  Mine didn't even last one ride around the neighborhood so I think you did pretty well at 3000 km.

HG is a safer bet because it is hard to mess that up.  After the ZTTO experience I use an established player for XD or Micro Spline. 

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2023, 06:31:25 AM »
Had the same thing happen to a ZTTO 9-50t 12-speed XD cassette.  Mine didn't even last one ride around the neighborhood so I think you did pretty well at 3000 km.

HG is a safer bet because it is hard to mess that up.  After the ZTTO experience I use an established player for XD or Micro Spline.

Yeah, when building the bike I went for XD because I could save some weight with the smaller cogs... I should have just gone for HG.
But now I'm building a dedicated road bike so the km's travelled on this bike will drop substantially so I doubt the new cassette will wear out fast  8)

Linsook

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2023, 11:03:09 AM »
I bought two of these cassettes. One has about 1500km the other about 200km.  I'll keep an eye out for it failing but so far so good.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2023, 11:27:00 AM »
I bought two of these cassettes. One has about 1500km the other about 200km.  I'll keep an eye out for it failing but so far so good.

At first I had one pin come loose, but I just removed it and didn't think much of it... Seems like it is an indicator of a lot more going on under the surface...