Author Topic: RYET carbon MTB wheels/hubs  (Read 2027 times)

hamtaro145

RYET carbon MTB wheels/hubs
« on: June 15, 2023, 04:44:21 PM »
Hi all,
Has anyone had experience with the RYET carbon MTB wheel/hub builds.  Hubs any good, rims break etc, overall quality.  They have a sale on now and very good pricing in NZ dollars.  Are they worth a gamble?

Cheers

h-habilis

Re: RYET carbon MTB wheels/hubs
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2023, 11:47:12 PM »
...experience with the RYET carbon MTB wheel/hub builds.  Hubs any good, rims break etc, overall quality...

I like the 33mm XC carbon rims themselves and own 2 sets.  I would caution you using their in house carbon hubs, front has been fine, but on rear I was able to separate the bond between the carbon and alloy portions, and the main bearings are undersized, same bearings normally found in freehubs on better grade hubs.  I wore out 3 brake side bearings in about 8K km on a 1Kw mid drive ebike, ran hard and fast offroad.  I used that same rim on a wheel built with a Ztto M1 with 36t ratchet freehub, laced up with DT Swiss stainless steel straight pull spokes and copper nipples.  I loved that wheel so much that I ordered a pair of the same Ryet 33mm asymmetric rims only, same M1 hubs and spokes for my wife's ebike.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 11:49:18 PM by h-habilis »

Rufusz

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2023, 05:49:11 AM »
Hi all!

I also own a Ryet 33mm XC Carbon wheelset, just want to leave some feedback.

The delivery took ages so I sold my bike before the set arrived and the new bike had different freehub (MS not XD as ordered).
I sent a message to Ryet askin for a new MS freehub they were quick to respond and posted it ASAP. The freehub delivery was 1 week to Europe.

Changing the freehub was not easy as the axle cap on the drive side is reverse threaded, keep that in mind if you ever want to service it :)

The different freehubs all fit to the hub and there is only one seal fitted to the hub itself meant to keep the dust, water and mud away from the pawls (mine is the 6 pawl version).
While changing the freehub I noticed that there is no threadlock applied to the axle so I kept it that way...BIG MISTAKE!

After about 150km MTB usage the shifting performance became inconsistent and a few miles later the freehub started skipping. Took it apart and found that the rear axle started to came apart pushing the freehub out from the hub body. The rubber seal came out as well exposing the pawls to the elements. Luckily nothing was damaged.

I wrote Ryet customer service about the problem and they sorted out a new MS freehub but I had to pay the shipping costs. By Ali's standards that's good customer service ;)

After fitting the new freehub, this time with threadlock applied everything was fine for a few hundred kilometers but then the rubber seal fell out from the hub, again exposing the pawls...
I guess it damaged when the freehub pushed it out before ad its no longer a tight fit inside the hub.
I tried to glue it back to the hub body hopefully it will hold.

Some other points to consider:
+6 pawl hub engagement is pretty impressive
+rims are holding up so far (83 kg rider, XC/Trail)

-Factory bearings are crap after only few hundred km
-Front wheel spokes making sound during hard braking...not enough tension???

To sum it all up I advise against these wheels. I will give the rear hub a final chance but might end up changing the hub to a DT.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 06:01:51 AM by Rufusz »

japjoe7

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2023, 09:47:19 AM »
I purchased RYET wheels and hubs the same as @h-habilis. He had no problems with the ZTTO's so maybe that's a better path.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256801653157333.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.22.21ef1802oB9CaY&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

00Garza

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2023, 10:39:09 AM »
Was tempted to get a set of wheels with the Ryet hubs. Really competitive price, but was leery of the new in house hub. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

ChinaCruz

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2023, 07:02:27 AM »
The gouge marks on the freehub happen when only one pawl locks into the teeth and there is an off center force on the axle. The axle flexes and pushes the freehub into the ratchet teeth. This will kill the bearing and crack the axle. One way to check this on a new hub is to rotate it slowly and listen for the teeth engaging. They should all engage at the same time. If they are too far apart, this will happen.