Author Topic: carbon wheels vs alloy  (Read 488 times)

flyedf

carbon wheels vs alloy
« on: June 16, 2023, 03:04:03 PM »
are carbon wheels too harsh for gravel?  what wheel depth recommended? i'm going to try 25mm width, 35mm depth carbon wheel on 38c smooth tire

bennytalent

Re: carbon wheels vs alloy
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2023, 03:12:09 PM »
I'm in the market for carbon wheels; it seems that rim depth under 40mm is preferable for gravel riding. Carbon fiber is sturdy, absorbs a bit of the vibrations and is, of course, more lightweight. 35mm depth sounds great, especially with 38c's.

jonathanf2

Re: carbon wheels vs alloy
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2023, 03:31:06 PM »
are carbon wheels too harsh for gravel?  what wheel depth recommended? i'm going to try 25mm width, 35mm depth carbon wheel on 38c smooth tire

Carbon is just fine for gravel. I ride rutted fire roads and harsh single track with no issues. As long as you're not doing massive jumps, you should be fine. Though I would recommend lesser depth wheels, probably 40mm or under. Rocks, grit and other debris can easily scratch deep wheelsets. Also deep wheelsets are more susceptible to wind and can blow your bike off a hillside cliff in mountainous terrain! My rims are only 38mm depth and I still felt the effects of the wind.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 03:32:43 PM by jonathanf2 »