Author Topic: Round seat tube, dropped seatstays, disc brakes (SL6 style)- are there any left?  (Read 1215 times)

Takiyaki

I don't want to buy a fake SL6, and I don't want to deal with proprietary aero seat posts. What frames are out there? Seems like all the new stuff has done away with round seat tubes.

s3si1u

Velobuild 177
Instagram: @aerosloth

Froglover825

I mean, you could probably get a second hand sl6 2nd hand for the same price for less than the price of a new "copy".

I got a 2017 sl6 specialized frame (not s-works) rim for $1k

TidyDinosaur

Or a TFSA / Delihea frame for 450 but they have a proprietary seatpost...

BalticSea

Yeah, Velobuild V177 is pretty much what you're looking for

jonathanf2

patliean1

Trifox x16 is a straight up Specialized (S-Works) SL6 clone. Same geometry and similar seatpost style (albeit proprietary).

Feedback seems to be good about Trifox, and this particular frame also allows for external cable routing. Almost bought one last year before getting my VB-177.

https://www.trifoxbike.com/disc-brake-lightweight-carbon-road-bike-frame-x16ta

TidyDinosaur

Trifox x16 is a straight up Specialized (S-Works) SL6 clone. Same geometry and similar seatpost style (albeit proprietary).

Feedback seems to be good about Trifox, and this particular frame also allows for external cable routing. Almost bought one last year before getting my VB-177.

Those look like rebranded TFSA frames. Everything except for the seat clamp cover looks identical.

Pedaldancer

Is it just the style you're looking for or also the geometry?
In the first case Carbonda has the 1056 and 1136 frame.  But they are more relaxed than the sl7. If it is supposed to match also the geometry these two frames won't do the job

Froglover825

I thought the carbon guy from cam nichols video ripped apart trifox in terms of the quality?
Seem really heavy as well which you probably don't want for a "climbing" bike

BalticSea

Those look like rebranded TFSA frames. Everything except for the seat clamp cover looks identical.

IIRC, TFSA is the manufacturer of both Trifox and Delihea frames

TidyDinosaur

IIRC, TFSA is the manufacturer of both Trifox and Delihea frames
So you can get it cheaper at the source  :)

Takiyaki

Should I just relax on the proprietary seatpost thing? My logic is they supposedly have less issues with fit, and are more comfortable. If neither is a big deal then I will just get the Elves Falath Pro I really want.

TidyDinosaur

Should I just relax on the proprietary seatpost thing? My logic is they supposedly have less issues with fit, and are more comfortable. If neither is a big deal then I will just get the Elves Falath Pro I really want.

I have build up the TFSA frame last week and have yet to find a way to stop the seatpost from slipping (I have not tried a lot of methods though  :))... So yes, it is a thing... It is possible you will have to find a workaround because just installing and torquing to the right torque is not enough...

Serge_K

What i would do is ask for a spare seatpost when buying the frame, that way you can sleep at night. I do that with rear mech hanger as default, same with spokes.
Most western bike brands make proprietary seat posts (it's probably a tad more aero, but i think it's mostly to charge more, essentially), so when these open moulds are made, i think it's fair to expect similar non standard posts.
Rule of thumb, it seems gravel frames have standard posts, road ones are D shaped, 1 way or the other.

Edit: The frame "Taiwan Made T1000 FASTERWAY Disc Brake Version O2 Carbon Road Bike Frame:Frame+Seatpost+Fork+Clamp+Headset,EMS Free Shipping" sold by "taiwan factory bike parts Store" on aliexpress seems to have a round seat tube, just came across it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 01:01:57 PM by Serge_K »