Author Topic: 32C tyre clearance on this bike?  (Read 838 times)

Serge_K

32C tyre clearance on this bike?
« on: June 20, 2023, 09:10:50 AM »
Hi all, i'm in the market for a Chinese road frame. I'd go with the VB 177 if it could handle 32C tyres comfortably, but it seems it can't.
I contacted Tantan, they sent me these pictures of their FM025 frame. The page used to say 30C max until a few days ago, they made the change because of the questions I asked. So now it says 32C max. These pics are with a conti 5000 32C tyre.
I'm not a power sprinter so i dont expect to flex my frame like mad, but does it look like the frame can comfortably handle 32C? It' a very important point for me, i've tested 28 and 32 back to back and the comfort difference is material, yet Peak Torque has shown there is virtually no performance downside providing you use a super wide rim. So my next road bike must accommodate 32C.
Thanks!

EDIT NOTE: I asked them for X37, they said no stock, so they're suggesting FM025 instead. That one used to say 30C, they then changed the description to 32C. The X37 has been 35C the whole time, which is why i contacted them in the 1st place. Apologies i got the models confused. So these photos are FM025.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 09:09:13 AM by Serge_K »

coffeebreak

Re: 32C tyre clearance on this bike?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2023, 09:43:01 AM »
At closest point it still looks like a gap of 3 mm on each side. It's actually slightly more than what I have on my 2010 Cervelo with 26c tyres.
A lot will depend on rims and tires used though. Not all tires will leave same gap, we also don't know what psi these were inflated for photo purposes. I have a doubt that Panaracer GK SS in 32c will be troublesome fit in there.
This exact same criteria is important for me too and I'm now leaning towards Airwolf YFR066 mold to not risk it. It's more endurance/all road geo though so probably not a direct replacement for this frame here.

BalticSea

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 09:43:49 AM »
Tantan website actually says that max is 35c http://www.tantancycling.com/index.php?_m=mod_product&_a=view&p_id=1084 I guess?

From the photos it looks fine, I don't think there's a chance of rubbing and there's enough room for stuff and dirt. However, it is hard to say how wide the tyre actually is without knowing how wide are the wheels used in the picture

Serge_K

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2023, 10:37:38 AM »
Tantan website actually says that max is 35c http://www.tantancycling.com/index.php?_m=mod_product&_a=view&p_id=1084 I guess?

From the photos it looks fine, I don't think there's a chance of rubbing and there's enough room for stuff and dirt. However, it is hard to say how wide the tyre actually is without knowing how wide are the wheels used in the picture

Haha, you're right, they changed it again! literally 5 days ago it said 30, then 32 last time i checked, then 35.
Well if they're now marketing it as 35C, and not even 35mm, any 32C tyre, even on a 32mm wide rim, should fit.

Wet Noodle

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2023, 12:27:56 PM »
From the picture it seems the chainstays get quite a bit tighter towards the spokes. It's probably just perspective. But to make really really sure, check that width, too. Having to ease up on the tire pressure in order to mount the rear wheel would be one thing (not the end of the world, but borderline annoying), but a wide rim not passing through would be a real bummer. Again, probably no issue at all ... just for peace of mind.

pearl

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2023, 02:05:15 PM »
I've mentioned this multiple times in the other thread, 32mm wide is not going to cut it on this frame.

I was very excited to find this as I thought it was a perfect fit, but the tire clearance was a dealbreaker for me. Ended up selling it, I loved it otherwise!

Serge_K

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2023, 09:10:44 AM »
I've mentioned this multiple times in the other thread, 32mm wide is not going to cut it on this frame.

I was very excited to find this as I thought it was a perfect fit, but the tire clearance was a dealbreaker for me. Ended up selling it, I loved it otherwise!

Sorry, on which frame are you referring to? This is the FM025.
The X37 is marketed as 35C, and they say they dont have stock, it's brand new.

pearl

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2023, 01:54:23 PM »
I apologize, I saw VB 177 + 32c tire in the subject, didn't read farther :(