Author Topic: Removing decals  (Read 1578 times)

svanimpe

Removing decals
« on: July 06, 2023, 10:07:21 AM »
Any tips on removing decals from carbon handlebars? I've bought an EC90 MTB handlebar that fits me well, but the decals look cheap, and I'd prefer an all-matte-black look.

Dribob

Re: Removing decals
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 01:57:22 PM »
I've had luck heating decals up with a hairdryer and carefully peeling them off

Serge_K

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 03:17:00 PM »
I've had luck taping black electrical tape over things i didn't like. It's surprisingly stealthy. Slightly ghetto too :)

jonathanf2

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2023, 11:04:06 AM »
Any tips on removing decals from carbon handlebars? I've bought an EC90 MTB handlebar that fits me well, but the decals look cheap, and I'd prefer an all-matte-black look.

A heat gun usually does the trick. If that doesn't work, I'd buy non-residual black decal tape to cover it up.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2023, 12:28:21 PM »
Is it stickers or painted?
I read acetone will work on a lot of painted logo's. But use this with care and test somewhere you won't see if it goes wrong...

NoGrip61

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2023, 09:16:01 AM »
I removed Elite Wheels painted on logo's with a heat gun (and scraping with a paper towel) and goof-off pro...  It was a real chore.  Stickers can be done with hair dryer.

jonathanf2

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2023, 10:56:47 AM »
I removed Elite Wheels painted on logo's with a heat gun (and scraping with a paper towel) and goof-off pro...  It was a real chore.  Stickers can be done with hair dryer.

I've tried this with another carbon wheelset and unfortunately the decals imprinted onto the carbon, leaving a faint trace of the logo. No amount of goof-off could get it off. Did you have this issue when you removed the logos on the Elite wheelset?

00Garza

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2023, 11:31:14 AM »
This has always ended in a messy disaster for me.

Now I either buy without decals or if they're minimal, I'll find some way to cover them up. (sharpie, nail polish, tape, etc)

NoGrip61

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2023, 08:39:47 AM »
I've tried this with another carbon wheelset and unfortunately the decals imprinted onto the carbon, leaving a faint trace of the logo. No amount of goof-off could get it off. Did you have this issue when you removed the logos on the Elite wheelset?
No, they surprisingly came off without a trace. The heat gun did a lot of the heavy lifting.  There are 2 goof-off's, regular and Professional.  The pro one was what helped get the remaining residue, but definitely wear a mask or respirator when using it.

And ya, I should have requested no decals, oh well.