Author Topic: Mounting tubeless tires on a new wheelset  (Read 1474 times)

coffeebreak

Mounting tubeless tires on a new wheelset
« on: July 07, 2023, 01:27:16 PM »
Currently struggling with installing Panaracer GKs on HED Belgium+ road wheelset. So far I tried soap water spray, pulling the bead towards the rim with tire lever, even installing a tube and inflating it but as soon as I deflate the tube the tire pops off from the rim into the center section and cannot be inflated. Any other tricks? I always had problems with Panaracer tires before but this time its especially difficult as the tire seems to hold absolutely no air at all so I am guessing its the construction of the rim that plays a major role too. On a related note, WTB i23 light wheels with WTB Resolute tires were easy peasy to mount.
I am thinking of taking it to my LBS but anything else that worked for you guys?

svanimpe

Re: Mounting tubeless tires on a new wheelset
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2023, 03:17:44 PM »
This is a common problem, and the solution is often to just put 1-2 more layers of rim tape to make the fit a bit tighter.

jonathanf2

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2023, 11:02:36 AM »
I've never had problems with Panaracer GKs. I'm surprised the tube trick doesn't work? Usually I'll use an innertube to inflate one side, remove the tube and then use a rim liner to hold the tire in place while I use an air compressor. Doing both those methods usually beads most tires. I'm guessing it's the wheel that's the issue.

frnchy

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2023, 04:09:57 PM »
It’s expensive for what it is, but an Airshot canister was one of the best purchases I made for installing higher volume tubeless tires. It’s just a metal bottle with an input and output valve; pump it up 140 psi or so and turn the knob to let all the air into the tire at once. I have yet to have it fail to seat a tire in a dozen uses, including on 2 pairs of GKs, a slick pair and a set of SKs.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2023, 12:31:59 PM »
Is it old rimtape maybe? I have had troubles getting to seat new tires on rims with old rim tape. Replacing the tape does the trick most of the time.

Or if it is sunny and hot where you live for the moment, just put it in the sun to heat up and try again.

coffeebreak

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2023, 08:46:29 PM »
This is a common problem, and the solution is often to just put 1-2 more layers of rim tape to make the fit a bit tighter.
Is it old rimtape maybe? I have had troubles getting to seat new tires on rims with old rim tape. Replacing the tape does the trick most of the time.

Or if it is sunny and hot where you live for the moment, just put it in the sun to heat up and try again.

Okay, so you are right! I went to get rim tape and had a discussion about this situation. The LBS said they can try instead of I taking the rim tape home and retaping the rims. They replaced the rim tape but actually did two rounds of it to make it thicker - it worked. The old tape was Specialized branded black in color which I had never seen before. The new one is good ol' Stans.
Thanks for the excellent tip, will come in handy in future!

Of note, this rim + tire combination is especially troublesome per the LBS since they struggled a bit too, they dipped it the tires in hot water to make them soft. And yes, it is quite hot right now (by Seattle standards) and I tried putting them in the sun before heading to the shop.