Author Topic: Bike Touring: Broken Carbon Tent Poles  (Read 595 times)

Tijoe

Bike Touring: Broken Carbon Tent Poles
« on: July 09, 2023, 06:26:35 PM »
In May, I purchased/received this lightweight tent with carbon Poles for camping while riding segments 3 and 4 of the divide trail.   I set up the tent once before packing it up for the trip.
On night 1, one of the pole interfaces snapped causing me to try an emergency repair.  2 days later 2 more of the pole joints snapped. I had to be creative getting the tent set up to be partially functional.   I ended up purchasing a Big Agnus tent while I was riding through steamboat and mailed the POS tent home.

Upon my return, I wrote this seller stating to them that their carbon tent poles are pieces of garbage!  I hope I can get some sort of replacement poles set from them.
Think twice and thrice before purchasing this item!!!

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832732594133.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.88.6f7d18023ZKSYc&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

kbernstein

Re: Bike Touring: Broken Carbon Tent Poles
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2023, 02:58:39 AM »
Get a lanshan :)
The tent poles on ali were also more expensive and heavier than the ones from six moons designs, a supposedly premium ish brand

Flying Trunk Monkey

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2023, 03:32:54 PM »
I've researched replacing the alloy poles on my Nemo Hornet Elite tent. After learning about issues with carbon poles I decided the minimal weight savings wasn't worth it. Cost wasn't really a factor in the decision. If you want a good source for quality options to DIY a lot of your own gear Quest Outfitters has a good selection and a well laid out website.

I've done a lot of bikepacking as well. Did the entire Divide route in 2017. I didn't have my current tent then but it would've been nice. The Nemo tent was definitely pricey even on eBay but even several years later I'm not sure I'd trust anything off of AliX. A quick look at the tent you bought shows a weight of about 3 pounds. The 2P Nemo weighs about half that and likely packs down considerably smaller too.

It's stories like these that reinforce my preference to do a couple of shorter overnighters before committing to a longer ride with new gear. BA makes good gear as well, hopefully you got one that you really like.

Wet Noodle

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2023, 02:47:29 PM »
but even several years later I'm not sure I'd trust anything off of AliX.
There have been a few ali tents with at least somewhat decent reviews, like hubba²-inspired models from naturehike or 3f ul gear, but these are in the mainstream reasonably lightweight category at best. I don't know about any ultralight ali tents.

to do a couple of shorter overnighters before committing to a longer ride with new gear
That is very good advice. Bike kit / packing, accommodation, sleeping ...

Flying Trunk Monkey

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2023, 04:06:16 PM »
That is very good advice. Bike kit / packing, accommodation, sleeping ...

I did an overnight lap around the White Rim Trail in Moab last year. Rolled in with a little over 2 gallons of water. Two weeks prior I did an 20 mile out and back overnighter with probably 2.5 gallons of water and half a gallon of beer. A couple of water bottles would've been more than plenty as there was a convenience store 2 miles from the campsite but I wanted to test every conceivable water carrying option I had. Everything worked great and it gave me the confidence to go to Utah for a trip with zero accessible water.

Tijoe

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2023, 10:21:48 AM »
The store wrote back and told me they are making me a new set of stronger poles and apologized for the hardships I encountered on my trip.   (Yeah.)