Author Topic: VeloBuild VB-R-268 frame  (Read 35146 times)

Benbenben

Re: VeloBuild VB-R-268 frame
« Reply #285 on: May 29, 2024, 03:04:38 PM »
Update on my slipping plug. I cleaned everything with alcohol and torqued it to 10nm. It's not slipping anymore. Well in place

However, I am getting a clunking noise from the hamdlebar from when I ride. It clunks when I go over bumps or when I sprint and rock the bar a bit more. I have disassembled everything many times, torqued the top bolt many times and also torqued the stem bolts to recommended 5NM.

When I rétorque everything, the sound goes away but quickly comes back, like if something loosens up, but there is no play that I can feel in the headset.

I am running out of ideas of what can cause the clunking noise. Any idea is more than welcome. I am getting crazy with that sound when riding.

mux

« Reply #286 on: May 29, 2024, 04:09:28 PM »
My 5 cents: careful with colours. You can get super durable decals cut for cheap locally, and you can change your mind every week. You can't change your mind with a colour. A colour also directly affect resale value. I chatted with a guy on Insta with a 168, white, who said his only regret was getting the frame painted white.
I got mine in glass black and am trolling Factor with Tractor decals. If i grow up one morning, i can remove them, it's fully reversible. My previous bike i painted orange because i loved the Giant propel from 2000 something in matte orange. Let's say my paint job didn't come out neaaaaarly as nice... I wish i had kept it black.

decals? Aren't decals simply stickers that typically have a logo on them? How would they change the complete bike color?

rasch

« Reply #287 on: May 29, 2024, 05:01:12 PM »
decals? Aren't decals simply stickers that typically have a logo on them? How would they change the complete bike color?

There are very nice ones. Especially with patterns to avoid a simple colour and which are more than just stickers. They are decals where only letters or design sticks to the frame. I'm looking for places to get them but couldn't find anything with geometric layout or artistic without being too colourful. But was able to find some with flowers ahaha

Serge_K

« Reply #288 on: May 30, 2024, 03:54:09 AM »
Some love a black bike, some don't, Adding a single logo to a black bike can change its appearance dramatically.
Beyond that, a bike scheme like the attached can be done with decals, for eg.
I used inkscape to make my decals, and found a guy locally to cut the vinyl. Skills are freedom.

mux

« Reply #289 on: May 30, 2024, 01:19:22 PM »
I completely agree that some decals can completely change the look of a plain black frame. A plain frame in a single color looks unfinished or lacking, similar to a car without a badge. Therefore, I appreciate some design.

Regarding the image you linked, it seems like the white and blue stripes in the back of the frame are painted? I'm not entirely sure, but could you stretch the vinyl around such curves?

rasch

« Reply #290 on: May 30, 2024, 01:48:48 PM »
If anyone has a good source for these type of decals please share. I searched etsy but the ones which look cooler are not decals but frame protectors, and I'd rather have proper cut decals than a 'big partially transparent sticker'

SillyMochi

« Reply #291 on: May 30, 2024, 01:54:31 PM »

"Decals" is a bit of an ambiguous term. They can mean "just" stickers that you actually just stick on your frame (and can remove them without much hassle/anybody noticing). They could also be stenciled decals that you apply on the frame during painting process and be removed at the end to have the name/logo/symbol painted on the frame. Like you would have with the names of all major manufacturers.

I eventually went down the lane of a full custom painting with decals and all. Was good fun messing around with colors and styles. Attached is a mockup I built myself to present my idea to velobuild. I also included the font and the logo as PNG for them to print. Let's see if the final result will look anything like I imagined it :D

Serge_K

« Reply #292 on: May 30, 2024, 03:42:41 PM »
If anyone has a good source for these type of decals please share. I searched etsy but the ones which look cooler are not decals but frame protectors, and I'd rather have proper cut decals than a 'big partially transparent sticker'

Check on your eBay or Craigslist equivalent for a shop that does vinyl cutting for car nerds. The vinyl on my frame is made for cars, resists UV, washing and stuff. Any car nerd will know exactly the type, I forgot the name.
If you want a design you like you'll probably have to either design it yourself, or pay someone to design exactly what you want if you're allergic to graphic design.
The decals for the whole bike cost me ten euro. If I had to pay someone to design it though...