Author Topic: Lightcarbon: New LCR017-D (or Yishun R1058-D)  (Read 42335 times)

rasch

Re: Lightcarbon: New LCR017-D (or Yishun R1058-D)
« Reply #330 on: April 18, 2024, 04:42:28 PM »
youp, I agree. Issue with carbon

dinorello

« Reply #331 on: April 18, 2024, 05:17:02 PM »
Hello everyone, I am a long time lurker of the forum.

I just received the LCR0017 and this is my first carbon frame.

The package was in excellent condition and the paint is realy good.

However, I am asking for advice as I am wondering if there is a crack on the downtube.

Indeed, there is a place where I see a small crack in the paint, and when I lightly press it with my finger it makes a scary cracky sound.
See on the video (https://www.youtube.com/shorts/O2SybUxEs6I), I really press lightly and it is the only place on the frame where there is this sound.
I find it weird cause the frame is straight out of the box, I have just put wheels on it.
I have no experience with carbon frame and I don't know if it is just the paint layer or a crack on the carbon itself.

I send an email to lightcarbon and I am waiting for their answer but I want to have other opinions

Just checked my lc17 at the same area and it seems likes it's very "super light" in that spot and probably only one or two layers thick of carbon sheet

tokkaz

« Reply #332 on: April 18, 2024, 05:30:20 PM »
Just checked my lc17 at the same area and it seems likes it's very "super light" in that spot and probably only one or two layers thick of carbon sheet

Thanks for the responses.

And do you have the same noise ?

dinorello

« Reply #333 on: April 18, 2024, 05:38:06 PM »
Thanks for the responses.

And do you have the same noise ?

No definitely not.   LC needs to send out a new frame asap or refund you and then explain how they could allow an obviously defective product to be shipped out.  That crack could lead to catastrophic failure injuring the rider. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 05:42:06 PM by dinorello »

Easyfunk

« Reply #334 on: April 18, 2024, 11:57:01 PM »
Yeah...that's definitely an issue with more than just the paint. Crazy if the shipping box wasn't damaged and LC sent it out like that.
+1

Serge_K

« Reply #335 on: April 19, 2024, 02:27:25 AM »
To be very clear, your frame is broken, do not ride it, get a replacement, and don't pay for it. FYI, it's obvious with the video, but impossible to tell with the picture alone. For any kind of warranty question, i find that video is the way to go.
I guess it makes you question the whole "affordable chinese yet ultra light carbon frame" thing a bit... Yishun / Light carbon have excellent reputation, yet less than 5 frames of the LC17 on this forum, and one's cracked out of the box. Not the kind of failure rate we want to live with, and it's infinitely more serious than a shitty C ring causing headset play, flexy bars that can be swapped for 100$ or a slipping seat post we can shim with a piece of soda can or some fiberglass cloth.
That is really, really not good.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 03:40:52 AM by Serge_K »

PLA

« Reply #336 on: April 19, 2024, 03:01:13 AM »
That's scary

dinorello

« Reply #337 on: April 19, 2024, 04:23:03 AM »
 JimLee from LightCarbon?

rasch

« Reply #338 on: April 19, 2024, 04:43:06 AM »
To be very clear, your frame is broken, do not ride it, get a replacement, and don't pay for it. FYI, it's obvious with the video, but impossible to tell with the picture alone. For any kind of warranty question, i find that video is the way to go.
I guess it makes you question the whole "affordable chinese yet ultra light carbon frame" thing a bit... Yishun / Light carbon have excellent reputation, yet less than 5 frames of the LC17 on this forum, and one's cracked out of the box. Not the kind of failure rate we want to live with, and it's infinitely more serious than a shitty C ring causing headset play, flexy bars that can be swapped for 100$ or a slipping seat post we can shim with a piece of soda can or some fiberglass cloth.
That is really, really not good.

Well not trying to be devils advocate but let's also take this with a pinch of salt. Yes, this is broken, yes this should not happen, yes this could have serious consequences, and yes I'm sure he should ask and get a replacement, but this can happen with absolutely any company.

For me it's all about how companies deal with these cases which actually matter. Customer service/warranty is way more important than any issue reported. He spotted this yesterday, asked for opinion, he will contact the company (whichever it is). The answer from them is the actual key here.

I have worked already in quite a couple of bikes and for me it's always about transparency, communication and good support. That's how I assess the companies I chose to work with in my business.

So let's wait and see. Having just 4 or 5 or even 10 bikes of these in this forum means little. I am buying one or two LC bikes to test the service regardless of this report here. If I like their service I can propose the frame/brand to my clients as an option. If not I keep with my provider and keep testing others.

dinorello

« Reply #339 on: April 19, 2024, 05:04:41 AM »
Yeah all that sounds good but how does LC send out an obviously defective and broken frame without some kind of QC?   

freetourer

« Reply #340 on: April 19, 2024, 05:35:55 AM »

You mean it´s thinner in that area than the rest of the frame?

tokkaz

« Reply #341 on: April 19, 2024, 05:36:56 AM »
Thanks for everyone's feedback, there is definitely a crack.

I am in contact with Wendy from LC. I will keep you updated with how this goes.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 11:04:21 PM by tokkaz »

rasch

« Reply #342 on: April 19, 2024, 07:07:31 AM »
Yeah all that sounds good but how does LC send out an obviously defective and broken frame without some kind of QC?   

Not trolling but why are you saying there is no QC?

Not trying to excuse this. I also hate when it happens especially in expensive products but QC is done at several stages. Maybe they need to add a QC layer here. I really don't know how the process of even putting it in the box working for them. If it's done by a machine maybe it could even be that. If its a manual process it can be sth else.

I'm looking forward to see how they deal with it especially since they seem to have no stock at the moment and waiting times seem to be around 2 months time.

dinorello

« Reply #343 on: April 19, 2024, 07:26:03 AM »
Not trolling but why are you saying there is no QC?

Not trying to excuse this. I also hate when it happens especially in expensive products but QC is done at several stages. Maybe they need to add a QC layer here. I really don't know how the process of even putting it in the box working for them. If it's done by a machine maybe it could even be that. If its a manual process it can be sth else.

I'm looking forward to see how they deal with it especially since they seem to have no stock at the moment and waiting times seem to be around 2 months time.

The whole objective of a proper QC protocol is to ultimately produce products that are free from defects before they ship to the end consumer.   Everyone involved in the production process , from the initial order taker to the person packaging, should be another layer of QC and ultimately overseen by a department accountable for  quality control..   

dinorello

« Reply #344 on: April 19, 2024, 07:35:41 AM »
You mean it´s thinner in that area than the rest of the frame?

Yes...the area on the top side of the down tube  below the bottle cage mounts  and before the bottom bracket shell has more give or flex.   Seems thin and I'm assuming it's designed that way.  Hoping that JimLee from LC will be able to offer more insight.