Author Topic: Lightcarbon: New LCR017-D (or Yishun R1058-D)  (Read 42949 times)

PaxiH

Re: Lightcarbon: New LCR017-D (or Yishun R1058-D)
« Reply #375 on: April 25, 2024, 12:10:48 PM »
Definitely not clear coated....only buffed to the point where it's been rubbed through to the white base coat in areas .   You figure the amount of time that they could have saved buffing it out by clear coating it instead would have been more cost effective in the end

Do you think it's possible to apply the clear coat yourself with a spray can afterwards, so that it looks like a professional job?

I never done a paint job before. But if they don't use a clear coat, the base paint should be a 2K colour, right. So sanding before applying the clear coat is required as far as I understand.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 01:40:47 PM by PaxiH »

rasch

« Reply #376 on: April 25, 2024, 01:46:16 PM »
Did you ask them already? @Jim can you confirm it there is a clearcoat or not?

dinorello

« Reply #377 on: April 25, 2024, 02:02:22 PM »
Do you think it's possible to apply the clear coat yourself with a spray can afterwards, so that it looks like a professional job?

I never done a paint job before. But if they don't use a clear coat, the base paint should be a 2K colour, right. So sanding before applying the clear coat is required as far as I understand.

Frame needs to be prepped and masked properly...it's really a job better done by a pro if you havent any painting experience.  Best solution is to have the manufacturer paint the frames properly instead of pushing out sub-standard crap

PaxiH

« Reply #378 on: April 25, 2024, 02:46:23 PM »
Did you ask them already? @Jim can you confirm it there is a clearcoat or not?

No, I did not asked them yet. But the frame is/was already during painting process this week.
I really hope that they use a proper clear coat. But from the other guys experiences it might be without.

Would be good if Jim can reply on that.

PaxiH

« Reply #379 on: April 25, 2024, 02:51:09 PM »
Frame needs to be prepped and masked properly...it's really a job better done by a pro if you havent any painting experience.  Best solution is to have the manufacturer paint the frames properly instead of pushing out sub-standard crap

Hm, you might probably be right with that. But I don't want to spend much more money for painting/ coating on the frame. If a professional has to do that I guess it will be pretty expensive.

However I don't have two left hands and with some tutorials and preparation I could imagine doing it by myself.

But who knows, maybe there will be a clear coat on the paint already. I really hope so...

Serge_K

« Reply #381 on: April 26, 2024, 12:07:21 AM »
Having used one can clear coat, it's really not that great, so 2 part clear coat is likely a must. It will kill you though, so absolutely look into PPE and do it outside.
And it really is a pain to paint frames, so... Be very careful with over spray, clear coat is meant to not come off.
I painted one from primer stage, the result from a distance is fine, from up close it's adequate, but I wish I had just ordered black and played with decals. To be fair the whole painting operation cost me less than 30 EUR.

PaxiH

« Reply #382 on: April 26, 2024, 01:16:21 AM »
Having used one can clear coat, it's really not that great, so 2 part clear coat is likely a must. It will kill you though, so absolutely look into PPE and do it outside.
And it really is a pain to paint frames, so... Be very careful with over spray, clear coat is meant to not come off.
I painted one from primer stage, the result from a distance is fine, from up close it's adequate, but I wish I had just ordered black and played with decals. To be fair the whole painting operation cost me less than 30 EUR.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
I think a very precise masking with tape is a must.

As far as I know, using 2K clear coat in first layer, let it dry for a few days, then sanding and applying another layer is the minimum for a good result.

What I'm not sure about is, if it is needed to sand the original paint layer first, before applying the first layer of clear coat.

Walter-sobchak

« Reply #383 on: April 26, 2024, 08:32:24 AM »
I received frame yesterday, and am happy to report that some of the issues posted here the past few weeks were not a problem for me. 

Clear coat over a really great chameleon paint

Faced brake mounts

Fit of everything seems really great

I requested both round and oval seat clamps and both were provided, showing attention to detail

Will post pictures when its complete

dinorello

« Reply #384 on: April 26, 2024, 08:43:55 AM »
I received frame yesterday, and am happy to report that some of the issues posted here the past few weeks were not a problem for me. 

Clear coat over a really great chameleon paint

Faced brake mounts

Fit of everything seems really great

I requested both round and oval seat clamps and both were provided, showing attention to detail

Will post pictures when its complete

Good to hear LC is learning from their customer based QC Dept.  I believe that chameleon paint is a base coat system with a clear that allows the chameleon effect to happen. 

c74

« Reply #385 on: April 26, 2024, 10:08:12 AM »
Recieved my frame today. Initial inspection tells me all is well.
Frame wise all seems well.
Material tickness around headset area is spot on, bearing seats are, well... REALLY clean.
Derallieur hanger and wheel axel mounts are as expected, ie clean and no paint spill.
Overall paint job is immaculate, did mine in glossy pearl white with LC logos.
If there is interrest, I can post pics after build is finished.

Cheers,
Chris

Bonpensiero

« Reply #386 on: April 26, 2024, 12:07:02 PM »

Sounds good. And yes, pics please. Unnecessary question...  :)

rasch

« Reply #387 on: April 26, 2024, 06:17:40 PM »
Recieved my frame today. Initial inspection tells me all is well.
Frame wise all seems well.
Material tickness around headset area is spot on, bearing seats are, well... REALLY clean.
Derallieur hanger and wheel axel mounts are as expected, ie clean and no paint spill.
Overall paint job is immaculate, did mine in glossy pearl white with LC logos.

Cheers,
Chris

You can even post pics now ahaha. We like to follow the process

c74

« Reply #388 on: April 27, 2024, 01:26:32 AM »
Here, teaser pic...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2024, 01:31:19 AM by c74 »

FMayweather

« Reply #389 on: April 27, 2024, 06:20:28 AM »
Quick question: did the provided tracking number work for you? Wendy send me a tracking number for my wheelset about 12 days ago, but the tracking is not moving at all (which she said would happen).