Author Topic: Lightcarbon: New LCR017-D (or Yishun R1058-D)  (Read 109007 times)

dinorello

Re: Lightcarbon: New LCR017-D (or Yishun R1058-D)
« Reply #720 on: September 23, 2024, 09:46:22 PM »
Interesting older blog entry about Chines manufacturing mindset.

https://novemberbicycles.com/blogs/blog/gypsies-tramps-and-thieves

The consumer appeal of the generic carbon is of course the irresistible pricing. You can get an unbranded road frameset for under $400 on eBay - one that certainly looks the part too. At that price, it's easy to see why every night the men come around, and lay their money down. Now let's wilfully suspend disbelief for a minute and assume that this isn't a photo of a sample from a manufacturer who supplies established brands, and is in fact a bike developed and built in earnest by a small manufacturer in China specializing in carbon fiber. At $360, it could make money on the frame. Not as much as our supplier makes selling dozens of them at a time to us, but there is some margin in that $360 to be sure. How much margin? According to "Poorly Made in China," not enough. Manufacturers in China are always looking for ways to cut costs. One story is about a manufacturer supplying shampoo to an American personal care company. They subcontracted another manufacturer to make the bottles, and over time changed the bottle spec - provided by the American brand - to use less and less plastic in the bottle in order to save on raw materials costs. The American brand was never notified of the change until the bottles became so thin that they collapsed in peoples' grasp (think bottled water, not shampoo). In China, this is seen as resourceful and clever in the way it increases manufacturer profitability. When the brand did notice and demanded that the product be built to spec, the manufacturer made the importer pay the additional costs for the thicker bottles, as if it were not the original spec but a change order.

When I read that section I immediately thought what would happen if a bike manufacturer - spurred by the same economic incentive - did the same thing. Reducing the number of carbon wraps in a frame or fork or rims to save on costs would not only make the product less expensive to manufacture - it would reduce the weight, making it appear more desirable at the same time. Only that's no more strategic a route to weight reduction in a frame than drilling holes in it. I don't know if this happens. Neither do you. But the economic climate in which a practice like this flourishes exists in the very regions where generic carbon fiber bike parts are made.

Great post and linked article.. thank you
« Last Edit: September 23, 2024, 10:53:52 PM by dinorello »

ODDO

« Reply #721 on: September 25, 2024, 06:56:39 AM »
I had a similar doubt, but the 52 can come with the same voids as mine, so the 54 might come good (50/50) in terms of quality. Size chart-wise, maybe go smaller if the head tube size is ok for you

Thank you for this feedback.
I think I'll take a 52.
For the color, apparently not many people chose the Chameleon 08HS or Chameleon 13HS colors.

rasch

« Reply #722 on: September 25, 2024, 09:20:47 AM »
I think I'll take a 52.
For the color, apparently not many people chose the Chameleon 08HS or Chameleon 13HS colors.
Yes, I'd recommend go a bit smaller. Also as regards stem length please note that it's measured from below, hence a 100mm is actually a 110mm.
As regards colours, I recommend you to go wild :) After all what's it worth to build sth custom if it's not unique

dinorello

« Reply #723 on: September 25, 2024, 09:41:31 AM »
I think I'll take a 52.

Definitely go with a chameleon color as it includes a clear coat as part of the process. The standard colors from light carbon don't include a clear coat which makes them less durable.

rasch

« Reply #724 on: September 25, 2024, 10:18:43 AM »
Definitely go with a chameleon color as it includes a clear coat as part of the process. The standard colors from light carbon don't include a clear coat which makes them less durable.

Mine had and it's just "blue". Colour also seems fine on mine. Didn't see anything yet which might indicate bad painting but again it's just one simple colour from their classic colours

dinorello

« Reply #725 on: September 25, 2024, 12:10:23 PM »
Mine had and it's just "blue". Colour also seems fine on mine. Didn't see anything yet which might indicate bad painting but again it's just one simple colour from their classic colours
There's no clear coat on plain colors from light carbon.   It's just buffed out to a high gloss finish

bmrk

« Reply #726 on: September 26, 2024, 09:40:39 AM »
Hello,

I purchased a LCR017 in June and received it a few months later, paid 712$, a bit less than you because I didn’t ask any customization. Did you request any "z tier" when ordering your frame?
Upon inspecting my frame, I discovered significant voids in the upper seat tube area. I reached out to my sales contact, Carol, regarding this issue but have not received a response yet (WhatsApp and email). I also used the contact form on the Lightcarbon website to inquire about my frame situation.
Just to clarify, I am not seeking for clicks on my YouTube channel, as someone suggested in response to one of my comments on Hambini's video about the same frame model. I simply want to share my experience with the Lightcarbon. Here's the video,
Eventually, I will do another one if Lightcarbon keeps quite about my case.
Thanks Tiago

wtf? the frame made of cheese?

ODDO

« Reply #727 on: September 26, 2024, 10:59:22 AM »
There's no clear coat on plain colors from light carbon.   It's just buffed out to a high gloss finish
Thank you for your answers.
I will order the frame and will give you feedback with visuals as soon as the assembly is done.
PS: And probably some advice  ;)

« Reply #728 on: September 26, 2024, 12:18:16 PM »
wtf? the frame made of cheese?

Lightcarbon admitted this was a mistake on their QC. Hope that am the only one, and that no one has or will receive this “cheese” frame

Serge_K

« Reply #729 on: September 26, 2024, 02:34:11 PM »
Lightcarbon admitted this was a mistake on their QC. Hope that am the only one, and that no one has or will receive this “cheese” frame

So, they're sending you a new one or they still wait for you to crash, die, and then send a replacement to your grieving family?
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

dinorello

« Reply #730 on: September 26, 2024, 06:51:51 PM »
So, they're sending you a new one or they still wait for you to crash, die, and then send a replacement to your grieving family?

Hahahaha! 

« Reply #731 on: Today at 12:50:52 PM »
They said yes, they will ship a replacement frame. I never rode the frame I have

dinorello

« Reply #732 on: Today at 02:00:17 PM »
Hello,

I purchased a LCR017 in June and received it a few months later, paid 712$, a bit less than you because I didn’t ask any customization. Did you request any "z tier" when ordering your frame?
Upon inspecting my frame, I discovered significant voids in the upper seat tube area. I reached out to my sales contact, Carol, regarding this issue but have not received a response yet (WhatsApp and email). I also used the contact form on the Lightcarbon website to inquire about my frame situation.
Just to clarify, I am not seeking for clicks on my YouTube channel, as someone suggested in response to one of my comments on Hambini's video about the same frame model. I simply want to share my experience with the Lightcarbon. Here's the video,
Eventually, I will do another one if Lightcarbon keeps quite about my case.
Thanks Tiago

Did Lightcarbon ask you to remove the post linking the youtube showing the substandard frame in order for them to ship you out a new frame? 

kwantani

« Reply #733 on: Today at 02:26:23 PM »
Just curious for the bad frame, does it have a "QC Passed" sticker on it?

dinorello

« Reply #734 on: Today at 02:36:11 PM »
Just curious for the bad frame, does it have a "QC Passed" sticker on it?

QC passed for lightcarbon is like the  paid in full stamp