Author Topic: Velobuild GF-002 Bikepacking build.  (Read 1771 times)

electrolux

Velobuild GF-002 Bikepacking build.
« on: July 16, 2023, 01:50:25 PM »

Just finished my Velobuild GF-002 build and wanted to share.

The build was good fun but being my first time building a bike it was a struggle at points. The hardest part was internal routing 4x hoses including 2x Jagwire compressionless shift housings. I am also struggling to the get the front derailleur to shift up properly so need to do some more tinkering there.

Issues:

The rear brake flat mount on the GF-002 was completely off so I took it to a LBS to face the mount which worked, sadly they soaked the brake pads in mineral oil in the process.  ::)

I originally asked Velobuild for British Racing Green in Gloss and gave them a pantone which they confirmed was ok before ordering. After paying they effectively said 'sorry we dont have' and said I can have the frame in a 'similar' colour which in person is akin to Satin Army Green. Not what I was going for. Wasnt impressed with the paint quality either, there are noticeable edges where the colours change. Not gonna complain for a $60 paint job. I will eventually repaint myself.

EliteWheels originally sent out the wrong wheels so I disputed and asked for a partial refund, then sold the wrong wheels on eBay and re-ordered the right ones. Was not too impressed with their service on Aliexpress including asking me to 'close the case to get a refund' and refusing to re-send the correct wheels unless I paid extra. ::)

Re-ordered from them on another Ali account and had no issues. The wheels are the highlight of the build for me. 1320g @ 50mm depth 21mm internal and ratchet hubs for $620 is nice.

The TPU inner tubes have plastic stems which dont seem to seal properly, the tyres lose a decent amount of air every week. Might try some PTFE tape on the valve core threads.

I didnt research much in the saddle and will probably try a 3d printed one that TraceVelo recommended at some point, the Mixed one is pretty comfortable but I can see it getting a bit painful for 100+km days.

Impressions:

I have only ridden for about 100km or so but loving it so far, never had a drop bar bike so I didnt know what to expect. Aside from the FD not shifting up cleanly no issues so far. With the out of Shimano spec 11-40 cassette I need to be careful not to cross chain otherwise its not pretty. I'm already thinking the 34-40 gearing is a bit excessive and might switch to a 11-36 cassette or 1x but will wait for a while to tackle some more climbs.

I will go on some longer trips next month and hopefully multi-day bikepacking in September.  ;D

Components:

Velobuild GF002 Frame
EliteWheels Edge Disc
GRX600 2x11 Shifters
GRX810 Rear Derailleur With Sunrace SP570 Extended link
Shimano 105 Front Derailleur
11-40 SLX Cassette
ZRace 50-34 Chainset
Magene P505 Spider
GP5000 32mm tyres
Mixed 7D Saddle
Newboiler TPU inner tubes
IGPSport BSC200 head unit

Total cost was around £2200GBP

Weighs 8.3KG with pedals, no bottle cages.

Let me know if you have any suggestions for the FD shifting, I'm thinking it maybe a qfactor issue and will try to swap some spacers around to see if it helps as the low screw is bottomed out and I feel like the shift cage needs to be further out.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 01:52:48 PM by electrolux »

ChrisB

Re: Velobuild GF-002 Bikepacking build.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2023, 02:12:46 AM »
Very nice build, thank you for posting!

What kind of rear rack do you use, shown on the image?
What is the weight?

BR Chris

electrolux

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2023, 02:35:54 AM »
Very nice build, thank you for posting!

What kind of rear rack do you use, shown on the image?
What is the weight?

BR Chris

Its a Tourtec tour rack. Around 590grams, They do an ultralite version around 550grams with less metal on there. Very cheap at £20 and seems to get the job done.

I'm not planning to use side panniers so I might cut off some of the side supports to make it lighter.

The bag is just a 10L drybag from Amazon.

electrolux

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2023, 10:00:42 AM »
Update:
FD shifting is kinda solved. The Zrace crank is 148mm qfactor and 105 FD is 146mm. So i removed all the spacers and put them on the non-drive side. Shifting works well but its strange to ride with so many spacers on one side.

I have ordered a GRX810 FD which has a wider q factor. Hopefully will sort everything out.

electrolux

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2023, 02:05:28 PM »
GRX810 FD Fitted and front shifting is satisfactory, I have not been able to get it perfect but its good enough for me. I'll put this down to the ZRace chainrings which might not be as optimised as Shimano.

I've put a few more kms on the bike and its a dream. Blown away my expectations and I cannot wait to go for a 120 mile ride later this month.

electrolux

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2023, 05:56:08 AM »
No reply from Velobuild on the issues with the brake mount despite contacting them 3 times through different channels. Guess they dont care.  ::)

kbernstein

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2023, 01:15:14 PM »
Awesome build, very similar to my build except integrated cockpit and tire clearance.

I also wanted to go with the rear rack route but couldn't find a rack pack with good volume and without paniers. How do you hold the drybag, just straps? Any issues? Do you think a 20L bag would still be stable? Thank you

electrolux

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2023, 01:58:30 PM »
Awesome build, very similar to my build except integrated cockpit and tire clearance.

I also wanted to go with the rear rack route but couldn't find a rack pack with good volume and without paniers. How do you hold the drybag, just straps? Any issues? Do you think a 20L bag would still be stable? Thank you
I have been struggling to keep it stable as the straps I bought dont tighten down enough, its a faff every time to get something out.

I bought some sea-to-summit stretch loc straps as well which cinch down very tight and should be perfect for running on the rack or as a seatpack.

This weekend I am going to try taking off the rack and running the drybag like a seat pack as shown here: https://bikepacking.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/DIY-Seat-Pack_3.jpg

You could fit a 20L bag there with a rack and some strech-loc or voile straps but I feel it would make the bike balance too unstable for my liking.

Will report back how the weekend trip goes.

kbernstein

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2023, 03:09:30 PM »
That's a real bummer, I thought having something strapped to a rack would make it more stable than dangling from the saddle  :'(
Unless you believe it is due to the DYI nature of straps. I've been eyeing this bag https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004651922036.html

electrolux

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2024, 09:01:05 AM »
The bike lasted 6 months in London before being stolen.  >:(

Greenred

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2024, 04:17:06 PM »
The bike lasted 6 months in London before being stolen.  >:(

Noo, that's too heart breaking!!  :'( :'( :'(