Author Topic: Integrated Bar Cable Routing Tips  (Read 552 times)

OlieSimpson

Integrated Bar Cable Routing Tips
« on: July 22, 2023, 10:21:29 AM »
Hi guys!

I have a VB-R-168 and their HB011 integrated bar/stem in a 400mm/90mm size (so as narrow and as short as they produce) and have a fully mechanical set-up (105 groupset and Juin Tech GT cable disk brakes).

I've just swapped out the updated c-ring from VeloBuild to help with headset play (which is great and totally solved the issue), but in the process have noticed that my outer cables are frayed and worn through at the point of exiting the stem and entering the frame. I believe this is because of the super tight angle they exit the stem and the pressure of them rubbing against the metal stem spacers.

Unfortunately it looks like I'm going to have to strip the bike and fully re-cable because of this, so am looking for any tips on avoiding this issue before I start the re-cable process.

Thanks in advance,

Olie

electrolux

Re: Integrated Bar Cable Routing Tips
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2023, 02:47:57 AM »
Did you try compressionless housing?

OlieSimpson

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2023, 03:16:28 AM »
Yep, using Jagwire Pro for both gears and brakes which is about as good as you can get as far as I know.

Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2023, 01:27:05 AM »
You could try changing out the part that goes in the bars with OT-RS900 from Shimano, more flexible than Jagwire.

Serge_K

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2023, 11:29:18 AM »
Yep, using Jagwire Pro for both gears and brakes which is about as good as you can get as far as I know.

Indeed; make sure you use the "pop" ferrule on the housing entering the brake caliper. I've seen a retarded bike shop using a standard ferrule (even though they had the "pop" ones), the performance difference is actually enormous. And make sure the housing pushes against the shifter, because the whole point really is to make a tight line from shifter to brake. Any slack and braking will suck.
I've also found that resin pads bite much better than the stocks ones i got.