Author Topic: long expander plug is it worth it?  (Read 576 times)

Queen of Skulls

long expander plug is it worth it?
« on: July 30, 2023, 10:11:28 AM »
I am a newer rider for fun and exercise. Is it worth it to have a longer plug like this?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805075976089.html

or this

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832719440139.html

to prevent damage as I am actually going to have a longer head-fork tube on my bike. I am designing and printing a custom spacer for my 218. I have a long torso and short legs. So I am not getting as far forward as some people.  at least for now.

Off with your Head tubes...

If the girls dont find you pretty they should at least find you handy...

[color #FE0000]P[/color][color #FDA601]R[/color][color #FFFF01]I[/color][color #008000]D[/color][color #1614E4]E[/color][color #80007E]!!!![/color]

coffeebreak

Re: long expander plug is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2023, 10:39:15 AM »
LBS suggested me to get an expander that covers height of the stem and spacers. My VB frame came with really short expander so I got the Deemount one you listed above and it’s been fine. The stem cap that VB supplied is oddly shaped and tall profile so I am using a longer Ti screw than the one supplied with the expander. I got mine from Amazon and pretty sure the screw wasn’t titanium, this seems a better deal.

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2023, 11:37:19 AM »
LBS suggested me to get an expander that covers height of the stem and spacers. My VB frame came with really short expander so I got the Deemount one you listed above and it’s been fine. The stem cap that VB supplied is oddly shaped and tall profile so I am using a longer Ti screw than the one supplied with the expander. I got mine from Amazon and pretty sure the screw wasn’t titanium, this seems a better deal.

so you dont like the second one?

[color #FE0000]P[/color][color #FDA601]R[/color][color #FFFF01]I[/color][color #008000]D[/color][color #1614E4]E[/color][color #80007E]!!!![/color]

coffeebreak

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2023, 12:34:23 PM »
I mean I have experience with the Deemount and it's good. I can't comment on the second one but it certainly looks interesting, may be a bit too long even. The black extension below the actual expander plug - I'm not clear on what purpose it serves.

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2023, 02:40:11 PM »
I mean I have experience with the Deemount and it's good. I can't comment on the second one but it certainly looks interesting, may be a bit too long even. The black extension below the actual expander plug - I'm not clear on what purpose it serves.

I think it doesn't expand so it doesn't stress the carbon below the stem where the spacer and in the head tube. But adds some more structure to help brace the carbon steering tube.

Wet Noodle

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2023, 04:14:13 PM »
I think it doesn't expand so it doesn't stress the carbon below the stem where the spacer and in the head tube. But adds some more structure to help brace the carbon steering tube.

This should only work if the non-expanded portion would fit very snugly into the steerer tube; meaning the plug would have to be made for one specific inner dia and to really close tolerances (as far as "tolerances" go on the non-controlled surface of a cf part, at least). Text says something about SL7 forks ...

(In which case one could ask if an expander was needed at all. But that's probably another topic.)

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2023, 04:34:38 PM »
This should only work if the non-expanded portion would fit very snugly into the steerer tube; meaning the plug would have to be made for one specific inner dia and to really close tolerances (as far as "tolerances" go on the non-controlled surface of a cf part, at least). Text says something about SL7 forks ...

(In which case one could ask if an expander was needed at all. But that's probably another topic.)

I was thinking just that maybe a person would not want the expansion part on the steerer tube where there is not a clamp around the tube because carbon flexs. Which makes me at least pause

Wet Noodle

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2023, 06:11:47 PM »
not want the expansion part on the steerer tube where there is not a clamp around the tube

Yes, no, I mean, that part I understood. I should have added that I was referring to your second sentence (about the non-expanding bottom portion being able to provide structure - this would depend on the fit of that portion in the steerer).

Froglover825

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2023, 07:21:29 PM »
I am a newer rider for fun and exercise. Is it worth it to have a longer plug like this?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805075976089.html

or this

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832719440139.html

to prevent damage as I am actually going to have a longer head-fork tube on my bike. I am designing and printing a custom spacer for my 218. I have a long torso and short legs. So I am not getting as far forward as some people.  at least for now.
If you have a long torso you would want a longer reach with a high stack generally which would mean you would be getting further forward than most people(?). If you have a lot of spacers under your stem i'd advise the longer expander plug.

I have a 50mm expander on my forks, the only downside from my understanding is slight weight increase.

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2023, 08:38:48 PM »
Yes, no, I mean, that part I understood. I should have added that I was referring to your second sentence (about the non-expanding bottom portion being able to provide structure - this would depend on the fit of that portion in the steerer).

That would depend for sure how the fit is

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2023, 08:53:24 PM »
If you have a long torso you would want a longer reach with a high stack generally which would mean you would be getting further forward than most people(?). If you have a lot of spacers under your stem i'd advise the longer expander plug.

I have a 50mm expander on my forks, the only downside from my understanding is slight weight increase.

Oh ya, I got the biggest r218 frame for my legs with the seat post slammed and    with the longest reach handle bars. I am hoping that I dont need a longer stem like 150-190mm.  I am not going for speed. So I can have a little bit higher seating position. Which will take up some of my torso too.

I am probably going to build out a 168 or a gravel bike for the second frame at some point.