Author Topic: Airwolf: What is this model inspired from? [Trek Madone]  (Read 3384 times)

Sergey Fly

Re: Airwolf: What is this model inspired from? [Trek Madone]
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2023, 12:59:22 AM »
I am currently considering buying one of these bikes. So far I'm more inclined towards Trek Madone. I'm not a super cyclist and I want a bit of charisma on the bike.
Service with a box from Airwolf?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 01:07:54 AM by Sergey Fly »

Kirkspants

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2023, 08:55:36 PM »
So it’s been a while since I’ve posted and I just popped back to see what everyone has been saying about the Airwolf YFR066…. BUT THEN I SAW THE SLR!

I want to do it. I was just gonna do the 066 as a random frame until I can finish a BMC teammachine I turned into a long term art project. (Bought the frame for $1300 but that was the easy part…)

Now, though, I have a calling bahahaha. I’m a jaded ex bike mechanic. I want to get it just out of spite for the years of trauma the industry has caused me.

I’ll chime back in if I get it. I think the SLR blows out the 066 budget.

Kirkspants

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2023, 03:13:51 AM »
OH MY GOOD GOD. They just informed me the frame weight is 1300g in a 52 cm, 1350 in a 58 cm.

ENEP

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2023, 03:41:47 AM »
OH MY GOOD GOD. They just informed me the frame weight is 1300g in a 52 cm, 1350 in a 58 cm.

Can it be reinforcements around the seatpost/seattube area? If yes, the weight might be a good sign.
But yeah, if you want a light frame maybe choose something else  :D

Deo

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2023, 03:12:06 PM »
did somebody go with SLR from airflow, at the end?

repoman

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2023, 02:00:28 PM »
I don't think this has the Trek butthole as on the SLR.
Good lord these frames are hideous  ;D

Emraize

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2024, 10:35:17 AM »
did somebody go with SLR from airflow, at the end?

Hi - i'm currently in the process of building an Airwolf SLR. Ordered in late November from their website and received around 6 weeks later in Germany (framesize 54/M, matte black)

Here are my impressions and issues so far:
- the paint job is quite good as far as i can judge, the matte is naturally a bit sensitive
- upper bore hole for the front brake caliper mount is around 2mm off -> had to file the caliper to make it fit
- lower headset bearing sits quite loose on the fork carbon crown but fits good into the frame (outer bearing diameter okay) -> have to measure the diameter of the fork and the bearing inner diameter. I fear the fork diameter is a bit off (or they send me an incorrect lower headset bearing)
- internal routing of the hydraulic cables through the handlebar is not the easiest job but managed to finish it with the help of an internal cable routing tool and sticking an older bowden cable to the hydraulic cable and pulled it through the bar.
- bottom bracket bearing (T47) fits pretty good
- saddle clamp and the area around the "iso flow hole" seem to be fine so far also

I'm installing a Shimano 105 12speed groupset and haven't decided which wheelset to put on yet. Overall it will probably not be the lightest build. Will upload some pics later on.

Emraize

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2024, 02:00:42 PM »
took me a while to get through all the hassles building this bike but here it is ready to ride now:

- issue with upper headset play solved by mounting an additional c-ring as a spacer above the compression ring
- lower headset bearing needed some alu tape wrapped around the inside (fork diameter was too small for lower headset bearing, but the bearing has the dimensions as the "original")
- front brake caliper needed to be filed as the upper bore hole in the fork was about 2mm off
- the delivered seatpost mount cracked at about 3-4NM torque while mounting the saddle tilt screw (see photo). As i think this is a general construction issue and i don't trust the replica here, i bought a slightly used original one
- no feedback coming back from airwolf, only that they will check with their quality control...

Overall the bike fits and rides quite good. Coming from an aero bike of the first generations i subjectively would say that this one feels a bit stiffer and more aerodynamic. However i guess that a big factor for this is coming from the wheels.

Serge_K

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2024, 02:11:51 PM »
Thanks for sharing. So, yet another anecdotal evidence against buying airwolf frames.
I'm extremely happy with my cockpits from them though.