Author Topic: Airwolf: What is this model inspired from? [Trek Madone]  (Read 3390 times)

neobiker

Airwolf: What is this model inspired from? [Trek Madone]
« on: August 08, 2023, 03:02:03 AM »
What do you guys think of this?

Did they get the mold? Or is it not the real website?

https://airwolfcarbonbike.com/product/2023-new-arrival-slr-gen7-carbon-disc-bike-frame-50-52-54-56-58cm-t47-carbon-road-bike-frame-road-carbon-bike-frame-with-handlebar/

I just bought the TT-x38, but if this is an official product from Airwolf, I am tempted haha.

BalticSea

Re: Airwolf: What is this model inspired from? [Trek Madone]
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 03:40:07 AM »
I did see it on their website. Considering that there have been replica frames on Aliexpress for a while now, it's entirely possible that they either bought the mold or are just reselling the same frameset

kbernstein

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 05:23:49 AM »
I would say that's a little more than just "inspired" and there is no way they will be allowed to sell this... It's more than a blatant copy that definitely violates IP laws of a brand I wouldn't want to legally fight

diP

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 05:48:18 AM »
Well, they even copy/pasted the complete geometry section from the Trek website 1:1 ::)

neobiker

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 05:55:50 AM »
I would say that's a little more than just "inspired" and there is no way they will be allowed to sell this... It's more than a blatant copy that definitely violates IP laws of a brand I wouldn't want to legally fight

My issue is the following: I usually thought official website from OEM would not sell counterfeit [at least there is no brand on the pictures].

This is why I am thinking it might not be the official website?

BalticSea

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2023, 07:43:30 AM »
They don't advertise the frame with Trek logo, so it is no different from Velobuild/TanTan, etc.

kbernstein

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2023, 01:20:40 PM »
But this is still blatantly the same bike with all the IP violations. Pretending to not be affiliated with Trek is not enough

tgarne

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2023, 04:27:47 PM »
I wrote with the company regarding this frame. He claims it is the Trek Madone:

Me: "Hello.
The 2023 New Arrival SLR Gen7 Carbon Disc Bike Frame looks like the Trek Madone - Does it perfom and wheigh the same?"

Airwolf: "It is the Trek Madone,if perform the same, and the weight is a little heavy"

Me: "What do you mean “it is the Trek Madone?”

Is it made from the same carbon etc?

Airwolf: "Hello Dear,yes,it is made from the same carbon and same factory.Just that we can't put the logo"

jonathanf2

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2023, 06:25:09 PM »
This podcast with Joe from China Cycling pretty much details what goes on at the carbon factories in China. It could very well be the same official mold they used to build the Madone.

patliean1

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2023, 08:54:47 PM »
As a buddy told me:

"Why would they risk a huge contract (from Trek) for knocking out a few frames with $200 profit per frame?"

raisinberry777

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2023, 10:00:02 PM »
As a buddy told me:

"Why would they risk a huge contract (from Trek) for knocking out a few frames with $200 profit per frame?"

Fully agree - there's a pretty simple commercial incentive here for legitimate factories to avoid there being additional frames coming out of genuine moulds. If you were the big bike brand on the other end (like a Trek) you would expect that any contract is very strict about termination/penalties for IP infringement, and if you're the factory, you sure as hell won't want to lose a massive contract to sell a few frames for (relatively) tiny profit.

Serge_K

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2023, 05:50:52 AM »
Trek is one of the last brands that still makes frames that dont look like other bikes.
However, it doesnt mean they're better.
In fact, they probably aren't. There are Trek fans out there, but most people just moved on.
My point: this is a really weird design (seat post). Trek is asking for trouble. And buying a copy is asking for extra trouble. Think about the forces on the seat post area. heavy rider on potholes. The insane lever effect the carbon has to endure. Why take the risk? Also, there's no way this will ever look like anything but a Trek, but it won't be a Trek.
The factory is probably adding a bunch of material in the unusual areas hoping the frame doesnt disintegrate. Trek fans praise ride quality. I think it's foolish to expect the same from this.
Also, that sales rep is almost certainly lying to you. The thing is, with China, it's often really hard to avoid miscommunication. They have little to no concept of IP. The mere way they think /speak / write is very different. I stopped counting how often i'd get different answers to the same question, depending on how i asked the question.

Sergey Fly

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2023, 11:32:06 AM »
Hi all.
I have heard many times from people in the know that Chinese communication is not about saying NO. They avoid the word NO in every possible way! It is easier for them to say YES or evasively go into uncertainty.
On the other side. I do not understand obstinacy in everything in a kind of intellectual property. Sometimes it comes to the point of absurdity. I am not against intellectual property, but there is a limit to everything. After all, you can shift a millimeter or half a millimeter in size, you can lay the fabric a little differently by a fraction of a millimeter or a degree.
Personally, I am not a supporter of total patents or intellectual property!

Best regards

jonathanf2

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2023, 12:01:15 PM »
The more hate this bike receives, the more I seem to like it! It's kind of ugly and the seat post tube is just down right controversial. Maybe when the sales of this frame are non-existent and they sell it on clearance, I'll pick one up!

OralMaster

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2023, 08:35:59 PM »
Factor and Trek are the only 2 bikes you can order the higher end version which even ships in the same boxes as the original.