Author Topic: Fixing small paint chips on carbon frameset  (Read 1199 times)

jonathanf2

Fixing small paint chips on carbon frameset
« on: August 16, 2023, 11:22:42 AM »
I'm beginning to realize my SPCycle road bike has some of the cheapest paint/gloss work. Every little nick or bump causes the paint to chip. I've been using nail polish to fill little scratches, but now it seems to be a monthly occurrence. Usually I'm careful, but I always notice some random paint scratch/chip appear. I'm almost tempted to repaint the whole bike or just cover my bike in protective tape.

Anyways, I'm wondering what the rest of you are doing to to maintain your bike cosmetically?

jannmayer

Re: Fixing small paint chips on carbon frameset
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2023, 12:12:18 PM »
Basically the same as you. I painted my gravel bike myself and it hasn't been the most durable. I've touched it up a number of times with the original paint and it looks better but you can still tell there was a chip.

At some point it will get so bad that I repaint it.

jonathanf2

Re: Fixing small paint chips on carbon frameset
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2023, 01:54:37 PM »
I ended up just using extremely lightweight, non-residual carbon fiber style protection decals. On my SPcycle aero frame, the tubes are more angular making it easier to scratch the frame. My carbon framesets with round tubes are less likely to scratch. I figure as a preventative measure, it's just better to tape up the bike!