Author Topic: ventum ns1 2022 frame clearance  (Read 964 times)

elmtree

ventum ns1 2022 frame clearance
« on: August 20, 2023, 11:09:50 AM »
I know this is a China frame forum, but this is a pretty good deal in line with mid to high end Chinese game prices. $1100 for US brand with customer support/warranty. Also you can ask for zero offset seatpost if that's your thing.

https://ventumracing.com/2022-ns1-frameset/

patliean1

Re: ventum ns1 2022 frame clearance
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2023, 04:24:41 PM »
I mentioned in one of David Author's (Just Ride Bikes) videos on the Ventum NS1 that the frame is basically an open mold. Ventum's marketing team replied to my comment with the following:

"The Ventum NS1 is not an open-mold, we have a team of engineers that are dedicated to designing our bikes. We'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have about the brand!"

I don't fully believe them. These micro brands are more marketing than they are engineering and frame development because having your own production is expensive.  I say this to say is the reason they can sell $1100 frames on "clearance" because those frames are probably not much better than a VeloBuild or Dengfu. Cheap Chinese stuff. You don't see Specialized or Trek selling their flagship frames for $1100 on sale.

daforce84

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2023, 05:39:13 PM »
I mentioned in one of David Author's (Just Ride Bikes) videos on the Ventum NS1 that the frame is basically an open mold. Ventum's marketing team replied to my comment with the following:

"The Ventum NS1 is not an open-mold, we have a team of engineers that are dedicated to designing our bikes. We'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have about the brand!"

I don't fully believe them. These micro brands are more marketing than they are engineering and frame development because having your own production is expensive.  I say this to say is the reason they can sell $1100 frames on "clearance" because those frames are probably not much better than a VeloBuild or Dengfu. Cheap Chinese stuff. You don't see Specialized or Trek selling their flagship frames for $1100 on sale.

??? ::) That seems to be a bold claim based on some loose logic there... Commenting only on your claim about the 2023 model, and not the one that OP posted about, would you like to share which open mold frame the 2023 model is using, and where to buy it? I'm sure folks in this forum would love an aero frame with clearance for 35c tires and and T47 BB (I'm one of those people). UDH is a nice to have as well. Otherwise, it sounds like a custom mold frame for them... and it sounds like a decent competitor for the Soloist.

Spesh and Trek can keep their prices high cuz they know ppl will buy them given their brand power, because of their marketing... and they also create scarcity in terms of stock. 

For market predictions they screwed up on, have you looked at Stumpjumper carbon frameset prices this entire year? You can get one for $1750. Not far off from the final price of a painted and shipped Carbonda FM1001 + rear shock you need to get on your own... the S-Works frames are only a little bit more.

BalticSea

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2023, 12:53:21 AM »
Using MTB for price comparison isn't a great idea as the frameset doesn't actually include fork, which is going to add another 300-400 bucks to the cost

As for Ventum frame.. I'd pass - tried googling the brand and few people who had actually tried the bike were not impressed.

Edit: upon further investigation, I did find people who were happy with their purchase as well. I don't think these are open mold frames, but I still wouldn't purchase one
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 01:23:32 AM by BalticSea »

RDY

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2023, 04:33:21 AM »
??? ::) That seems to be a bold claim based on some loose logic there... Commenting only on your claim about the 2023 model, and not the one that OP posted about, would you like to share which open mold frame the 2023 model is using, and where to buy it? I'm sure folks in this forum would love an aero frame with clearance for 35c tires and and T47 BB (I'm one of those people). UDH is a nice to have as well. Otherwise, it sounds like a custom mold frame for them... and it sounds like a decent competitor for the Soloist.

Spesh and Trek can keep their prices high cuz they know ppl will buy them given their brand power, because of their marketing... and they also create scarcity in terms of stock. 

For market predictions they screwed up on, have you looked at Stumpjumper carbon frameset prices this entire year? You can get one for $1750. Not far off from the final price of a painted and shipped Carbonda FM1001 + rear shock you need to get on your own... the S-Works frames are only a little bit more.

Not open mold, not Chinese, but much better (and cheaper) than Ventum and thankfully no T47. 

Ceepo Mamba-R is great ... unfortunately the largest size could do with being a bit bigger for me.  Significantly more aero shape than the NS1, 35mm clearance, BB386.  Reversible seatpost allowing for a lot of positive offset for people who like to get forward and over the bike.  Standard 1.5/1.5 headtube. And the couple I've seen have been extremely clean inside.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 04:35:52 AM by RDY »

Serge_K

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2023, 10:28:27 AM »
"The Ventum NS1 is not an open-mold, we have a team of engineers that are dedicated to designing our bikes. "

"I identify as an engineer with multiple personalities when i order custom cycling clothing on alibaba. Therefore, SERGE LTD has a team of engineers dedicated to DESIGNING our products."
It's not lying, it's marketing. Designing is a very loose word. You can order an OEM mould, make one change, and boom, you have your own mould. You can probably even identify your mould as unique just because it's yours, you only have one, and therefore it's unique.
I've also been on dates with girls working as project managers in IT teams, with feeble economics backgrounds, absolutely zero engineering training or credentials, identify as engineers. IBM calls you an engineer for even less than that.
From a dating success POV, i've tried, and it doesn't work if you tell a girl she's not an engineer because she's not an engineer. Apparently, engineering has become a vibe.

Sakizashi

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2023, 10:37:40 AM »
To answer the question: 30mm tires are the official spec. I've seen 32mm tires on some but i think that's probably it.

I also think people don't realize that Ventum has done pretty well on the Tri (Z and One) and Gravel (GS1) side and are bigger than a lot of people think. Their frames are definitely not open molds. Are they equivalent to the best brands? Probably not. How much of their engineering is in house vs. outsourced? No idea. But there are a few shops near me that build and sell them and their riders seem mostly happy with what they have.