Author Topic: Carbonda 505SL Integrated Stem  (Read 4993 times)

jakonodi

Re: Carbonda 505SL Integrated Stem
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2023, 11:57:14 AM »
Bike is ready and fun to ride. Setting up was easy with the help of a friend, just stem/handlebar was tricky. I decided to go for semi integrated as I love my cheap PRO Discover handlebar. Like so many others I had to learn that FSA headsets only go with FSA stems, so I ditched my favorised Specialized stem. The first FSA ACR/SMR built quite high and although we cut the fork quite conservatively it was too short... So I went for the FSA ACR stem which works fine with 10 mm spacer which will maybe be reduced. Now I needed an integrated handlebar and was surprised that there are not too many on the market that fit. I wanted a little flare so went for Ritchey. All the others have too much flare or no flare or, like deda, 31.7 mm instead of 31.8. Seems like everyone has his own systems and makes sure nothing fits.... I am quite happy with the bike. Unfortunately I had to install lights as winter is coming and it gets dark early.

jfcb

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2023, 01:29:55 PM »
Great component choice which gives the bike a fast and clean look!
I'm curious about your ride impressions. Knowing it's a light frame and that the seat stays & the fork blades look thin, I'm wondered about the stiffness of this frame.

DogsBollocks

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2023, 03:03:02 PM »
As the CFR505/SL is a gravel frame, I would assume it's designed to be compliant and absorb vibration. I've been riding mine for a few weeks now, definitely a very comfortable ride. If you're looking for a super stiff race bike, this would not be it.

Great component choice which gives the bike a fast and clean look!
I'm curious about your ride impressions. Knowing it's a light frame and that the seat stays & the fork blades look thin, I'm wondered about the stiffness of this frame.

jfcb

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2023, 05:02:09 PM »
As the CFR505/SL is a gravel frame, I would assume it's designed to be compliant and absorb vibration. I've been riding mine for a few weeks now, definitely a very comfortable ride. If you're looking for a super stiff race bike, this would not be it.
Thank you for your feedback, good to know it's very compliant. For me, compliance and stiffness (lateral & torsional ) are separate properties. For sure in gravel the absorption of shocks is important, but since it is marked as a gravel race frame, I would like to know how it accelerates and behaves in corners.
Thanks

jakonodi

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2023, 03:02:12 AM »
I think it likes corners ;-) I am 80 kilos and the 505sl isn't wobbly at all.

Pedaldancer

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2023, 03:14:43 AM »
Thank you for your feedback, good to know it's very compliant. For me, compliance and stiffness (lateral & torsional ) are separate properties. For sure in gravel the absorption of shocks is important, but since it is marked as a gravel race frame, I would like to know how it accelerates and behaves in corners.
Thanks

Isn't the cornering determined a lot from the rear length? If you check this the 505 (either the old or the SL) are quite short compared to other Gravel frames. How stable the steering is depends on the angle of the fork and the trail.. and the stem length.  ;).. so you can tune this a bit. But the rear geometry is fixed.
Compared to a road bike the 505 is a bit less nervous. For the stiffness of the SL I am out.. cause I have the "old" one.

jakonodi

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2023, 03:55:58 AM »
How do you protect the chainstay?

carbonazza

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2023, 01:07:55 AM »

Put 25mm tires on a deep carbon wheelset, and you'll get a stiff bike feel with it 8)
Compliance comes from big tires, and the 27.2 seatpost(something you can't make stiffer  ;D), the frame and fork are not flexing at all.

carbonazza

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2023, 01:14:13 AM »
How do you protect the chainstay?

I bought a roll of helicopter tape on Amazon, and cut a kind of trapeze(20-25cm long, 25mm at the derailleur - 15mm at the BB) with rounded corners on all bikes I build

Mockenrue

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2024, 05:53:40 AM »
Does this frameset have mudguard mounts? I've read that it doesn't but unless my eyes are deceiving me I think I can just make one out on the RH dropout in one of the photos of jakonodi's bike.

carbonazza

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2024, 12:54:31 AM »
No, there is no holes at the back of the BB.
And not on top of the fork.

But I use this now:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EGtdEAD

Does this frameset have mudguard mounts? I've read that it doesn't but unless my eyes are deceiving me I think I can just make one out on the RH dropout in one of the photos of jakonodi's bike.

Pedaldancer

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2024, 12:48:15 PM »

I do have the classic 505 and still..i use the quickly removable fenders. Very similar to the ones from Carbonazza, they are the SKS Speedrocker. They cover the wheels a bit more. They are very functional, I use my 505 as commuter bike and I ride at any wheather    :)

Mockenrue

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2024, 01:31:31 PM »
Thanks both, but I need full coverage mudguards. Shame - this would be a great winter bike frame otherwise.

2old2mould

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2024, 02:28:08 PM »
@dogsbollocks are you based in the UK? Also, what headset cover are you using? Is it a Carbonda supplied one?

maui400

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2024, 05:29:04 PM »
I just stumbled across this thread. The frame and it's quality (plus good seller reputation!) is very tempting! ... if there wasn't the short distance between front axle and bb ... since I rode my current Velobuild GF001 in Norway on long and steep climbs I became allergic to toe overlap. This is one of the main reasons why I want a new frame...

P.S. I was also tempted to buy either the Lexon GFX or BXT 135  since they have enough room for my toes. But how very helpful this forum is which keeps me from buying junk from bad vendors.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 05:36:01 PM by maui400 »