Author Topic: True CX frame (not gravel)  (Read 3143 times)

ldavies

True CX frame (not gravel)
« on: August 24, 2023, 02:27:40 PM »
Has anyone put together a list of chinese carbon frames with true cyclocross geometry they could share?  Many of the websites seem to list carbon and gravel frames in the same category and most of them are actually just gravel frames.  I have had a hard time finding true cyclocross geometry frames.
Thx,  Lloyd

dsveddy

Re: True CX frame (not gravel)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2023, 09:02:15 PM »
Frames I've seen so far that meet my idea of a good CX geo (high BB, short chainstays):

-Flyxii FE-806 AKA Tan-Tan/Seraph GR029

-Velobuild CX002

-honorable mention goes to Yishunbike GR095, but it's hard to get one since it's Yishun

My favorite has to be the Flyxii FE-806. Cheap, super light frame, and the geo is somewhat progressive (a couple mm more bb drop and slightly longer headtube than Cervelo R5CX or Canyon Infinite), but not so progressive it becomes a gravel bike. If you overlay the frame against a R5CX on bikeinsights.com the Flyxii is pretty much bang-on except the headtube is slightly longer and taller, which are good things IMO.

Noladutch

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2023, 12:11:12 AM »
Depends on lots of things.

First how old school cx guy are you? Cx bikes from 8 to 10 years ago had way higher bb than the last few years before everything became a gravel bike.

I would personally go with a lightcarbon LCX027-D it is an older style clearance for not much over 38 but old school 65 mm bb drop. In other words a proper cx bike. Big front triangle without much slope good for shouldering.

Cx bikes are what I use to buy for my daily bike for the last 20 years or so.

What I would do is look for used bike and upgrade components. Plenty of great used cx bikes from the beginning of the disc era. A l twoo hydro group and a great set of wheels would wake up an old cx bike born with cable brakes and crap wheels.

ldavies

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2023, 03:48:49 PM »
Frames I've seen so far that meet my idea of a good CX geo (high BB, short chainstays):

-Flyxii FE-806 AKA Tan-Tan/Seraph GR029

-Velobuild CX002

-honorable mention goes to Yishunbike GR095, but it's hard to get one since it's Yishun

My favorite has to be the Flyxii FE-806. Cheap, super light frame, and the geo is somewhat progressive (a couple mm more bb drop and slightly longer headtube than Cervelo R5CX or Canyon Infinite), but not so progressive it becomes a gravel bike. If you overlay the frame against a R5CX on bikeinsights.com the Flyxii is pretty much bang-on except the headtube is slightly longer and taller, which are good things IMO.

Why is Yishun hard to get??

dsveddy

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2023, 04:10:20 PM »
They don’t sell D2C unless you’re ordering large quantities. Lightcarbon is their D2C front but you can’t buy certain frames there.

00Garza

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2023, 04:14:15 PM »
They don’t sell D2C unless you’re ordering large quantities. Lightcarbon is their D2C front but you can’t buy certain frames there.

Didn't someone on here recently buy direct from Yishun?

blublob

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2023, 06:20:32 PM »
Didn't someone on here recently buy direct from Yishun?
Yes. It's really not that much of an issue anymore. They even have a warehouse in Germany.
At least as long as you are fine with the base carbon-black frame. You won't get any one-off customizing (like individual paintjobs) from them. You have to buy in quantity for that.

drzaiusisalive

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2023, 02:56:55 PM »
I just ordered the tantan gr045! It has the exact same geo as the new Blue norcross. I believe tantan is the same mfg blue uses for their production bikes.

This is an interesting cross bike with long reach and 70 hta and longer front center than most cx bikes. I think its a great mix modern and classic cx geo.

Ordered from tantan's alibaba store. Will report back when I receive the frame.

dustedrob

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2023, 09:27:47 PM »
I just ordered the tantan gr045! It has the exact same geo as the new Blue norcross. I believe tantan is the same mfg blue uses for their production bikes.

This is an interesting cross bike with long reach and 70 hta and longer front center than most cx bikes. I think its a great mix modern and classic cx geo.

Ordered from tantan's alibaba store. Will report back when I receive the frame.

I'm really tempted to get one too since I've been drooling over the Norcross for a long time! Did they tell you how long they're going to take shipping your frame? Tha Alibaba page says it could be delivered by November... ::)

lukwy

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2023, 09:40:05 AM »
I also have ordered GR045. I wouldn't say it has CX geo, but this kind will fit me very well. At least no toe-overlap, cause the HA is 70* and WB is long. Seems perfect for fast gravel.
FS: Carbonda FM936, XT/SLX 1x12, 2.4
Gravel: TanTan GR045, GRX820/105 2x12, 700x35c

drzaiusisalive

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2023, 09:32:46 PM »
Just received my tantan gr045 today. Ordered on sep 14, received oct 18. Frame looks very high quality and tantan included the correct hardware I requestied. I will post some pictures later! Admittedly I have been riding a blue norcross that popped up used on ebay for a great price. The geometry is not traditionally CX but works well. It's extremely stable in fast corners thanks to the slack hta, but it is still nimble and sharp thanks to the short chainstays and 67 bb drop. The longer wheelbase and front center make it a little slow in REALLY tight corners but I think the compromise is worth it. I run it with 170 cranks and I really have to lean it far to strike my pedal. It does take a little getting used to but so far I like it. I feel like the front tire communicates very well how much grip you have and it's easy to correct a slide. The frame stiffness and ride quality has been great, it picks up speed quickly and holds it well over choppy terrain. I race a lot of XC in the summer so the long reach and slack hta works well for me and feels pretty natural. For a more traditional CX frame experience, I would stick to the gr029 for it's "normal" reach and hta.

The norcross/gr045 will also be a great gravel bike in my option, I can already imagine it bombing down a loose sweeping gravel hill confidently.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 09:38:40 PM by drzaiusisalive »

drzaiusisalive

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2023, 02:02:00 PM »
Here are some pictures of the gr045. Conveniently I am also selling this frame because I don't need two identical bikes. Shoot me a DM or check my post over in BST forum

Anyway there are a few differences between the gr045 i received and my norcross:

1. the gr045 has a separate crown race unlike the norcross which has an integrated crown race with the fork. It's probably MUCH easier to find compatible headset with the gr045. Otherwise the fork design is identical to the blue. Standard 1 1/8 steerer clamp area.
2. The headset allows normal stems and bars to be used with semi internal cable routing
3. there are more mounting points on the gr045.

Everything else is the same. I would be very surprised if it isn't the same manufacturer as the blue.

Walter-sobchak

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2023, 11:01:55 AM »
I will post some pictures later but I have been meaning to share my experience with my cx build. 

Cyclocross is my primary discipline, and for this year I wanted a pit bike. I too wanted the true CX geometry with short wheelbase and high bottom bracket.  I landed on the GR029/FE-806/CX028  frame.  I put on SRAM force because that is what I like and I race single speed with the zip tied shifter.  I purchased through ebay store https://www.ebay.com/usr/yxbikes.  It included headset and thru axles (although the fork doesn't have a threaded insert, so it uses a quick release style thru axle), which added a level of simplicity.  It came with the flyxii top cap.   The crown race was a pretty snug fit, and required a pvc pipe to push it into place (https://nuxx.net/blog/2014/02/09/pvc-1-5-crown-race-setter/). 

The geometry is a bit funky.  I really wanted to get the stack down to a certain size.  This frame has a high stack and short reach.  So a compromise was required to get  the stack where I wanted.  I sized down, thinking I could run a bit longer stem.   This worked, but I will say, it puts your pressure vector on the front tire in a less desirable angle while cornering off camber.  I have since put back on  a shorter stem.

The build went very smoothly as it uses those clip in cable stops.  BB shell threads don't look pretty but they were fine.   I paired this with a set of 40mm superteams with onirii rotors (CD-02), which aren't great and have a slight creak to them, but serve the purpose just fine.  Other items include, Ryet 3D saddle, Uno 100mm stem, RXL SL 38mm, Elita One 27.2x350mm seatpost, and Bolany 11-36 cassette.  Basically a full chiner build with Sram Force.   

Total Weight came in with pedals and bottle cages just under 18 lbs.   

When the season rolled around, I raced it instead of my A bike, and I love it.   The bike rips corners and having a true CX geometry and sizing down a bit has worked really well for me.  I'd highly recommend this frame if you are racing CX but just be aware of the stack/reach combo.  I much prefer it over longer gravely type frames being used in cx.   

dsveddy

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2023, 10:57:14 AM »
Saw TONS of the GR029/FE806 frames in the New England CX circuit this fall. All the SmartCycle and some of the NE Devo guys are on them. All seem to be quite happy with them.

jefflinde

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2023, 06:08:21 PM »
I have had the flyxii 806 for a few years now.  One was setup in gravel mode and another in more of a road bike mode.  Loved it but wanted more tire clearance.  Will be selling off the last one (road mode) soon.