Author Topic: Improved hoods for Sensah brifters  (Read 721 times)

hsaus

Improved hoods for Sensah brifters
« on: August 26, 2023, 05:50:42 AM »
Although I really like my Sensah Team Pro shifters, the hoods bothered me. It sounds minor, but when the hood moves around and no longer line up with the shape of the lever body, it's really noticeable.

My brifters were fairly new, so the hoods were of the newer smooth variety, with no hint of the sandpaper-like surface that the older hoods supposedly had. However, while they may have been an improvement compared to the previous model, I wasn't satisfied.

I had previously purchased some aftermarket hoods on AliExpress for a pair of old Shimano 5700 brifters, and I liked those better than the original Shimano ones. So when I saw that aftermarket hoods were also available for Sensah, I decided to give them a go.

And I really like them! They're a little shorter and much tauter than the original Sensah ones, with a less shiny appearance. So far they've stayed firmly in place.

I ordered two pairs from the same seller, and though one pair came in a Shimano-inspired blue cardboard box and the other pair in a ziplock bag, they appear to be identical. The cardboard box said "Haining Qi Ke Sports Goods Co.,Ltd." on the back.

Here's the link to the seller I purchased from, but there are other sellers on AliExpress that appear to sell the same product: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005428727777.html

I've attached some photos of the Sensah hood for the right brifter (on the right) and the aftermarket hood for the left brifter (on the left).

sandwich

Re: Improved hoods for Sensah brifters
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2023, 08:36:34 PM »
Thanks for sharing these, I may pick some up.  If you search aliexpress for sensah hoods, it looks like you end up with the factory ones.  I have apparently the same ones as you, and they slide around quite a bit.  Otherwise a big fan, but I appreciate the heads up!

jcr

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2023, 09:01:00 PM »
Do you have version one or version two of the hoods? The early batches had sloppy hoods, the newer ones is tighter and feels more grippy than the original. I have two version of Empire 11s and the hoods on the newer ones feels much better.

These are their new version https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003970724670.html there is no "graining" on the rubber, Gen 1 had the graining

jonathanf2

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2023, 09:25:23 PM »
I'm surprised someone actually decided to make third party Sensah hoods, considering Sensah themselves sell replacements for fairly cheap. The aftermarket replacement hoods are even better quality than the OEM Shimano hoods, so these appear to be similar in that regards.

hsaus

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2023, 07:18:02 AM »
Do you have version one or version two of the hoods? The early batches had sloppy hoods, the newer ones is tighter and feels more grippy than the original. I have two version of Empire 11s and the hoods on the newer ones feels much better.

These are their new version https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003970724670.html there is no "graining" on the rubber, Gen 1 had the graining

My original Sensah hoods are smooth and without any grain, so I believe they're the new version. I wouldn't say they were a very sloppy fit, but towards the front they would slide forward and above the lip in the lever body itself, instead of being flush. I had the same experience both on a set of Team Pro brifters and on a set of Empire 11s brifters. I purchased both sets of brifters this year, from "SENSAH factory Official Store" on AliExpress

sandwich

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2023, 03:32:47 PM »

I have what looks like the ones in the link above and the ones in OPs post. They are fine and comfortable, but they kind of slide forward and out of the ports/holes that they are supposed to stick into. I rode for a while not realizing there was a hole they were supposed to slide into, so it could be my fault. Either way, it’s my biggest complaint with the sensah phis that I run.

ANITO1971

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2023, 01:31:18 AM »
Yesterday I installed "alternative" Sensah rubber hood covers.
My old Original Sensah rubbers were worn out after 18.000km... and broken allong cable hoses. I put some some tape allong cable hoses, to meke it smoother

"alternative" rubbers are fitting better than originals, much tighter fit. No sliding at all.
How long will it hold I dont know

Will post foto soon

ANITO1971

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2023, 02:10:34 PM »
Fotos for you... Sensah "alternative" rubbers

jonathanf2

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2023, 02:22:40 PM »
Those definitely look like the silicone rubber that Shimano replacement hoods use. I consider these aftermarket hoods better than OEM. I have a pair on my gravel bike GRX shifters and they feel great.

ANITO1971

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2023, 02:50:44 PM »
I also apply a small strip of handlebar band arrond the cable hosses to make a smooth transtion of handlebar band and rubbers ower the hosses.
On Original rubbers this was the area where the original rubbers first wear out and get broken...

You also get 4 additional coulours of hood rubbers, Green, Pink, light red and light blue...