Author Topic: Hydraulic shifter "blocks"  (Read 1246 times)

kbernstein

Hydraulic shifter "blocks"
« on: September 05, 2023, 04:48:10 AM »
We're all familiar with the little clips you shove between the brake pads to not retract them, but I find them pretty annoying. I've heard of an equivalent that lodges itself under the shifter to prevent braking but I've never seen them in person and can't find them for sale online
I'm talking about these yellow clips, sometimes visible in pictures of groupsets

Does anyone know where to get them? Is this something included when you buy the boxed versions of new groupsets, that bike stores presumably throw away? Thanks

jefflinde

Re: Hydraulic shifter "blocks"
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2023, 10:48:05 AM »
i have only ever seen them on new components.  i am sure bike shops may have them or could set some aside for you if you asked.  i dont generally buy from bike shops so not sure but online retailers have always shipped levers with them in there.   

coffeebreak

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2023, 11:03:19 AM »
But would they serve the same purpose?
I believe the bleed blocks keep pistons distanced as much as possible while bleeding so the oil is spread and pressurized all across - without the blocks being there the pistons will pop inwards regardless you press the lever or not. In fact that's one "trick" to overbleed your brakes in case you aren't getting enough pressure even after multiple bleeds (has happened with me). I have done that and would suggest doing it only as last resort, pushing the pistons back into recess can be a mess.

kbernstein

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2023, 12:32:41 PM »
But would they serve the same purpose?
I believe the bleed blocks keep pistons distanced as much as possible while bleeding so the oil is spread and pressurized all across - without the blocks being there the pistons will pop inwards regardless you press the lever or not. In fact that's one "trick" to overbleed your brakes in case you aren't getting enough pressure even after multiple bleeds (has happened with me). I have done that and would suggest doing it only as last resort, pushing the pistons back into recess can be a mess.

I'm not talking about bleed blocks. I'm talking about thin plastic fins that you fit inside calipers, with the pads still in them when you have the wheel off