Author Topic: Allround Performance Bike Build  (Read 2840 times)

WhityWhite

Allround Performance Bike Build
« on: September 06, 2023, 07:27:28 AM »
Hi @all,

I am just finishing the build of my Aerobike - it has become an Ican A40. I'll open a separate thread for that though.

Now, however, I would like to build a complete all-round performance bike next. It should be aerodynamic, but still ready for climbing.
The Tarmac SL7/8 and the Giant TCR fall into the same category.

It should please be from a reputable frame manufacturer and not a Velobuild, etc....

I thought I had found what I was looking for at Hygge, but after the latest findings I want to distance myself from this company.

I have already had the following frames under the magnifying glass:
Speeder sc52, yishun 1058-D light version, or adapt at-b01?
Speeder doesn't deliver the frame to Germany, Yishun doesn't sell to the end user or it takes 3-6 months and the lighter Version is not available at the moment. Adapt also normally does not sell directly and only accepts bank transfer to an account in Hong Kong in US dollars (that was too much for my Deutsche Bank... or it just costs immense fees...).

Do you guys have anything else in mind?
28mm tyre width or more, disc, fully integrated cable routing and 38cm wide handlebars.
I had the Giant TCR in M/L until an accident and I sat perfectly on it.

I also found a frame at Tantan ... But I don't know what to think of them....
The TT-X33 is pretty much identical to the SL7... but does it behave the same way? and is the quality satisfactory?

I would spend up to $1,000.... preferably with a custom paint job.... but that's not a 100% must.

Thank you for your help!

BalticSea

Re: Allround Performance Bike Build
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2023, 07:39:27 AM »
You can get the same frame as Hygge directly from manufacturer (Winow). It's not the lightest frame around, but it should do the trick. Geometry itself is fine, although it does have relatively slack headtube angle, similar to Colnago and BMC. IMO, Winow is at least on par with TanTan, if not better,  considering it is OEM for other brands (i.e. Winow is OEM of Falath Pro)

On the aggressive side there's also SPCycle 053D that accepts 32c tyres. Velobuild VBR177 is a good frame too, quality is higher than their other frames like 168 because of EPS technology.

On the more relaxed side, Elves Eglath would be a nice option. Yishun 068D is nice as well, but you'd have to paint the frame yourself
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 07:53:35 AM by BalticSea »

WhityWhite

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2023, 08:09:14 AM »
I don't know why, but I somehow have exactly the same stomach ache with winow as with tantan ...  ;D

The frame, which is identical to the Hygge, is declared by winow to be much heavier...
But I have already distanced myself from the Hygge/Winow frame after hearing about the seatpost, or other issues that Tidy told us about.

I'd just like a frame from a reputable manufacturer like Yishun, Lightcarbon, etc....
The LCR017-D also looks usable - but it's not available for sale in the 56 size either.

BalticSea

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2023, 08:13:17 AM »
Winow lists the weight of whole package - frame, seatpost, fork, amd if included handlebar as well.

WhityWhite

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2023, 08:53:17 AM »
don't you need to order minimum 10 for the light version of the 1058?

I have only been told that it is not yet in series production... That could also mean what you say...

neobiker

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2023, 02:37:18 PM »
You can get the same frame as Hygge directly from manufacturer (Winow). It's not the lightest frame around, but it should do the trick. Geometry itself is fine, although it does have relatively slack headtube angle, similar to Colnago and BMC. IMO, Winow is at least on par with TanTan, if not better,  considering it is OEM for other brands (i.e. Winow is OEM of Falath Pro)

On the aggressive side there's also SPCycle 053D that accepts 32c tyres. Velobuild VBR177 is a good frame too, quality is higher than their other frames like 168 because of EPS technology.

On the more relaxed side, Elves Eglath would be a nice option. Yishun 068D is nice as well, but you'd have to paint the frame yourself

Are there any real proof outside the claim of the Aliexpress conversation that Winow is OEM of Elves?

BalticSea

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2023, 03:03:08 PM »
Are there any real proof outside the claim of the Aliexpress conversation that Winow is OEM of Elves?

As far as I know the only evidence we have is Winow confirming it themselves and both the FM268 and Falath Pro frames being identical

WhityWhite

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2023, 10:34:26 AM »
What is with the LCR017-D. It might be fit with a longer stem.

Is it a allround performance bike or is it a endurance?
I think it's a nice all-rounder... And the weight is very light.

Dark17

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2023, 10:40:10 AM »
What is with the LCR017-D. It might be fit with a longer stem.

Is it a allround performance bike or is it a endurance?
I think it's a nice all-rounder... And the weight is very light.

Basing on the geometry, it's more like a race bike like TCR/Scultura. Pretty nice frame tbh but turnaround time is 2 months for the first frames to be produced. JimLee replied to my comment on the other thread.
rematistang jempoy (sprinter fred) from The Philippines

WhityWhite

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2023, 01:29:07 PM »
And that's what I want. I have enough time. It is a frame for the next season. Starts 2024.

Eddy_Twerckx

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2023, 01:38:04 PM »
Hi @all,

I am just finishing the build of my Aerobike - it has become an Ican A40. I'll open a separate thread for that though.

Now, however, I would like to build a complete all-round performance bike next. It should be aerodynamic, but still ready for climbing.
The Tarmac SL7/8 and the Giant TCR fall into the same category.

It should please be from a reputable frame manufacturer and not a Velobuild, etc....

I thought I had found what I was looking for at Hygge, but after the latest findings I want to distance myself from this company.

I have already had the following frames under the magnifying glass:
Speeder sc52, yishun 1058-D light version, or adapt at-b01?
Speeder doesn't deliver the frame to Germany, Yishun doesn't sell to the end user or it takes 3-6 months and the lighter Version is not available at the moment. Adapt also normally does not sell directly and only accepts bank transfer to an account in Hong Kong in US dollars (that was too much for my Deutsche Bank... or it just costs immense fees...).

Do you guys have anything else in mind?
28mm tyre width or more, disc, fully integrated cable routing and 38cm wide handlebars.
I had the Giant TCR in M/L until an accident and I sat perfectly on it.

I also found a frame at Tantan ... But I don't know what to think of them....
The TT-X33 is pretty much identical to the SL7... but does it behave the same way? and is the quality satisfactory?

I would spend up to $1,000.... preferably with a custom paint job.... but that's not a 100% must.

Thank you for your help!

Curious why you say specifically no Velobuild. I’m on the 168 (Tarmac SL7 copy) and it’s been great. Fully integrated cables. Nearly as light as the SL7. A couple quirks but nothing major. I’m very happy with mine and I also ride an actual Tarmac SL7. The 168 is my race bike.

Did you have a bad experience with them? I would understand. I refuse to ever ride another Tan Tan after the absolutely horrible experience I had with not only the frameset (fork was misaligned, thru axles we’re too short, terrible quality all around) but more that their customer service was the worst I’ve experienced in my entire life. They even threatened to publish my home address and phone number to harass me. I wouldn’t ride their products if you paid me. So if it’s something like that I get it. Just curious why you aren’t considering them.

WhityWhite

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2023, 02:15:29 AM »
thx for your reply.

but i heard a lot of bad things about quality... ?

can you say me why do you ride a sl7 AND a clone from VB?
i am very interested...      :-D

WhityWhite

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2023, 03:14:45 AM »
@eddy

I have now skimmed the over 100 pages large VB168 thread and am not so averse...

The frame weighs but loose 300g more than a real SL7 and ... but that does not seem to be bad?

What else worries me are this C ring, derailleur hanger, thru axles ... and what else should be bought "extra" ... :D
But the "extra costs" should be yes manageable.... ?
I also need another handlebar since I drive 38er width combined with 11 or 12 stem length.

Maybe you have a few links and tips ready?

Maybe it will actually also a VB168 :-)

EDIT: in the meantime I am also reading through the VB 177 thread... Now I am completely undecided :D
THANK YOU EDDY for my new positive Problems...!!!!  :-D :-D :-D

Need Help...

Need a competitive Bike :-P
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 05:36:54 AM by WhityWhite »

Eddy_Twerckx

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2023, 11:39:29 AM »
thx for your reply.

but i heard a lot of bad things about quality... ?

can you say me why do you ride a sl7 AND a clone from VB?
i am very interested...      :-D

I have the Tarmac SL7 as my main everyday bike. It’s an amazing bike. And I don’t want to crash and break it. So I bought the Velobuild 168 as a cheap race bike. It originally cost me less than $1000 total to get it race ready with parts I had laying around. So if I crashed it it would be better than crashing my nice SL7. I was really surprised (in a good way) by the quality of it and how it performed. It would be hard to tell the difference between the 168 and my SL7. So in short, I ride my SL7 mostly, but wanted a bike that rides similar that I can race on.

Edit: To answer your other questions. The derailleur hanger should be fine to use. But you can buy a direct mount for $20 and follow the directions from the 168 thread. I have links to everything I bought. For handlebars, I paid $80 for mine. It is a Kocevlo. It is stiff enough for my sprint. It also comes with all the headset parts you need. The other handlebar is The One Pro.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 11:43:03 AM by Eddy_Twerckx »

MDZPNMD

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2023, 06:23:41 AM »
I also got the VBR168 and it rides like a charm.

I spent around 2,5k to build it from mostly chinese parts and the only thing that bugs me is the cheap sunshine cassette and that I can't get 1 gear to work flawlessly with the Ltwoo RX12. Weights around 6,8 kg, replaced the brake fluid with bionol so I can safely run ultralight 140mm rotors and brakes

I also jumped around 1 to 2 metres over a kicker with it recently and the paint around the BB cracked but everything else is fine. If it withstands that than it's built like a tank.