Author Topic: Tubeless road/gravel tyres  (Read 1233 times)

svanimpe

Tubeless road/gravel tyres
« on: September 09, 2023, 02:55:05 AM »
Any recommendations on road/gravel tubeless tyres around 36mm, without too much profile, that aren't leaky af?

I'm currently running Challenge Strada Biancha tyres. I was happy with them at first (very comfortable) but the sidewalls are so leaky that they pretty much lose all air within 48h. I was hoping this would improve over time (with sealant), but even after several months of use, I can still see sealant coming out of the sidewalls. I've had similar issues with other tubeless tyres, so I'm considering ditching tubeless unless I can find a tyre that actually holds its pressure for more than a few days.

blublob

Re: Tubeless road/gravel tyres
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2023, 07:03:43 AM »
I'm running Pirelli Cinturato Velo TLRs in 35mm (about 38mm on 25mm inner width rims) on my year-round commuting bike through everything badly maintained city roads have to offer (gravel, glass, potholes, ...). They sealed immediately and haven't leaked since, didn't get a puncture either. I give them air about every 2-3 month and the sealant inside is probably dry for ages (haven't refreshed it for two years...).

They are certainly not the fastest tire, nor do they offer above-average grip. I would still recommend them if you are just looking for a resilient, easy to mount and good sealing tire.

Sebastian

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2023, 07:22:19 AM »
Tufo Thundero.
This to me is the impossible goldilocks gravel tire.

It’s super light - 390g for a 36c. I run the 40c which weighs 430g and measures 42mm on a 25mm internal rim.
It’s cheaper than the competition. 30-36 EUR depending on where you buy it.
Despite that, it’s made in Europe (Czech Republic) which is cool for me since I’m based in Europe.
It rolls incredibly fast and yet it’s amazingly grippy in a very wide range of circumstances and on virtually any surface apart from super muddy conditions.
It’s very sturdy. I’ve done absolutely stupid rocky Singletrails on these that you probably shouldn’t ride on a gravel bike and they held up fine.
They are hookless compatible if that matters to you.
And despite their characteristics they are super hard wearing. I’ve done more than 3000k on the rear tire and I don’t really see any wear.

Before these I’ve used various Panaracer tires and they always seemed to leak or they punctured too easily and sealant wouldn’t seal them. Ive used various Vittoria Terreno tires. Those are fine but they’re heavier and they roll less well. I’ve used Continental Terra Trails on my commuter. For that they are fine. But it’s not a fast tire obviously.
I dunno how Tufo are doing it but I see no reason to try another gravel tire on my dedicated gravel rig.
I’m so intrigued by these that I’ve bought a set of road tires from them, too.
I’ve

jonathanf2

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2023, 09:28:08 AM »
I've never had issues with my Graveking SS or SK tires. At least here in the US, they can be purchased cheaply.

Sebastian

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2023, 10:03:50 AM »
I've never had issues with my Graveking SS or SK tires. At least here in the US, they can be purchased cheaply.

I’ve found the Panaracer Plus versions of their tires with additional puncture protection very durable. I put them on my girlfriends commuter and they work very well. However, they’re much heavier than the normal versions and they don’t roll as well. I’ve used the regular Gravelkings in the slick version and in the SK version. Both were too fragile to my liking. I got some pretty chunky gravel here occasionally. And in the woods it does get very rocky in the trails. The Tufos were much more reliable despite being lighter.

I’d love to try René Herse but I just can’t bring it over myself to pay that kind of money for a tire. Also, they’re produced by Panaracer so I’m not convinced they’re much better.

jonathanf2

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2023, 10:21:53 AM »
I’ve found the Panaracer Plus versions of their tires with additional puncture protection very durable. I put them on my girlfriends commuter and they work very well. However, they’re much heavier than the normal versions and they don’t roll as well. I’ve used the regular Gravelkings in the slick version and in the SK version. Both were too fragile to my liking. I got some pretty chunky gravel here occasionally. And in the woods it does get very rocky in the trails. The Tufos were much more reliable despite being lighter.

I’d love to try René Herse but I just can’t bring it over myself to pay that kind of money for a tire. Also, they’re produced by Panaracer so I’m not convinced they’re much better.

I find the GK tires are better suited for hard pack dirt and finer gravel roads. For chunky stuff, I do like the older WTB Nanos. They're fast with an aggressive tread, but they're terrible on the road with no cornering grip whatsoever. I hear the Rene Herse tires rubber compound is a bit more durable. I read a comment that their gravel slicks last longer compared to GK slicks from someone who used both.