Author Topic: Elitewheels Edge wheelset  (Read 14024 times)

pippo25

Re: Elitewheels Edge wheelset
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2024, 09:22:06 PM »
I am in the market for a budget set of carbon wheels and have narrowed it down to either these Elite Edges or a set of Superteams with a Novatec FS522SB rear hub. Does anyone have insight into how the hubs compare? I've heard the Elite hubs are obnoxiously loud

Serge_K

« Reply #61 on: February 29, 2024, 04:56:52 AM »
I am in the market for a budget set of carbon wheels and have narrowed it down to either these Elite Edges or a set of Superteams with a Novatec FS522SB rear hub. Does anyone have insight into how the hubs compare? I've heard the Elite hubs are obnoxiously loud

On hub noise, there's a video on YT from that Australian guy on the spectrum who waxes his chains, and he showed you can add grease to make hubs quieter. I've done it on 4 wheelsets recently, it does indeed work, night and day difference. I'm largely incompetent on hubs, but i've never had problems with Novatec, vs everything else i've had mixed feelings with (Bitec or Bitex (?) and no name "Taiwan" stuff).
All else equal, my next wheels will have Novatec hubs just because i have never negative to say about them.
I've bought a dozen wheelsets by now.

PLA

« Reply #62 on: February 29, 2024, 06:34:29 AM »
On hub noise, there's a video on YT from that Australian guy on the spectrum who waxes his chains,

The guy who killed his neighbour's dog and went to jail?

Serge_K

« Reply #63 on: February 29, 2024, 09:11:15 AM »

Indeed!

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #64 on: February 29, 2024, 11:25:08 AM »
On hub noise, there's a video on YT from that Australian guy on the spectrum who waxes his chains, and he showed you can add grease to make hubs quieter. I've done it on 4 wheelsets recently, it does indeed work, night and day difference. I'm largely incompetent on hubs, but i've never had problems with Novatec, vs everything else i've had mixed feelings with (Bitec or Bitex (?) and no name "Taiwan" stuff).
All else equal, my next wheels will have Novatec hubs just because i have never negative to say about them.
I've bought a dozen wheelsets by now.
This trick does indeed work with the novatec hubs with pawls, but not so much for hubs with ratchets I think. I tried it with the Goldix R180 hubs that are insanely loud and with more thicker grease, the ratchets would not engage. I then added some oil to the grease and the ratchets did work again and it was a little more quiet, but only for about 10km...

sbellote

« Reply #65 on: February 29, 2024, 11:29:12 AM »
fwiw, I have an Elite ENT pair with elite branded hubs (not sure the spec), and my previous was Superteam's with a Powerway R13. Both were loud out of the box, Elite's significantly more, but 1st maintenance adding some grease the sound lowered enough

as soon as I got to know this history (through Jesse on the Nero Podcast) I blocked this aussie a**hole's channel. It's a shame, his videos have really good maintenance and assembly tips, especially on the 'cost-efficient' side of stuff

oleg

« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2024, 03:02:01 PM »
How to get such a price? What I see now, they are around 700 on ali...
I snagged this wheelset for a whooping 444€ including "tax-prepaid" shipping to Germany, in the 50mm variant, 21mm internal, but I asked for no decals.

I am now debating on which tire width to get. I will get a GP5000 non TL (with 19g TPU tubes), but the question is wether to get 25mm vs 28mm.

I have always had 25mm GP5000 tires and they measure about 28mm on my current wheels with 20.5mm internal width.

Has anyone tried GP5000 in 28 mm on these rims? How is the tire-rim interface? I always hear about the comfort (which I don't need probably), but I fear that they would bulge up on the 21mm internal rims and be even wider than the rim, "ruining" the aero benefits...

neobiker

« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2024, 03:15:27 PM »
You have to wait a really good offer from elite wheels and also coupon from Aliexpress. During 11.11 there were 100 USD coupons.

joegal

« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2024, 04:12:20 PM »
You have to wait a really good offer from elite wheels and also coupon from Aliexpress. During 11.11 there were 100 USD coupons.

Yes, thats exactly how it went. 11.11 coupons + coins + the usual tax adjustment (-19% at Checkout)

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2024, 06:24:01 AM »
Yes, thats exactly how it went. 11.11 coupons + coins + the usual tax adjustment (-19% at Checkout)
The anniversary sale is coming up, so it might be interesting to wait a little...

electrolux

« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2024, 06:31:39 AM »
Ordered my Edge Wheelset on 3/3 got delivered on 10/3 via DPD to UK. Thats insanely quick.

Paid 520.52 + 65 shipping USD with the AliX $50 coupon.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 06:33:26 AM by electrolux »

BeR

« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2024, 01:24:44 PM »
What width of rim tape did you use on these wheels?

kanuto

« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2024, 02:22:18 AM »
Aliexpress is having anniversary sale.

I just placed an order for 423eur shipped :)

mirphak

« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2024, 03:11:22 AM »
I was really tempted by the Gravel version of the Edge, but ended up buying from Wing Wing. <500 eur (shipped and customs paid) for a pair of hooked 35mm depth, 30mm external, 24mm internal, dt350+pillar 1420. Couldn't resist.

BeR

« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2024, 03:51:16 AM »
Is it easy to install the GP 5000 tubetype on them ? Which one looks better between 23 and 25 mm ?