Author Topic: TanTan TT-X38 Build  (Read 14849 times)

Sebastian

Re: TanTan TT-X38 Build
« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2023, 12:56:43 PM »
I think you are absolutely insane to be riding that fork. Scary.

Not sure who you’re refering to.

repoman

« Reply #106 on: December 21, 2023, 09:40:42 AM »
Not sure who you’re refering to.

This

Sebastian

« Reply #107 on: December 21, 2023, 10:45:04 AM »
I think you are absolutely insane to be riding that fork. Scary.

I respect your opinion. I’ll report back here regularly if I’m still alive.

Frank

« Reply #108 on: December 21, 2023, 11:02:41 AM »
My steerer looks similar from the inside.  For other reasons, I showed it to a carbon repair expert (see above) and he said that this is no problem.

Yunglord

« Reply #109 on: December 21, 2023, 11:28:59 AM »
This

Highly suggest you to stop riding carbon-made frames and forks then.

patliean1

« Reply #110 on: December 21, 2023, 02:29:15 PM »
I'm actually in the process of prepping my x38 frameset for a proper paint job and rebuild for next season. The uniqueness of the frame (because it's a copy) is unmatched for the price, and is just too good to collect dust.

In my frivolous quest to pump out content (and need of a groupset for my beloved Yishun R086-D) I may have possibly been too quick to cast judgement on the x38. That's what I get for building it toward the end of the season. This exact scenario also played out with my VB-177 end of last year.

repoman

« Reply #111 on: December 21, 2023, 03:11:57 PM »
Highly suggest you to stop riding carbon-made frames and forks then.

I've owned 7 OEM frames and none of them looked like that!!!

Sebastian

« Reply #112 on: December 23, 2023, 03:10:17 AM »

I've owned 7 OEM frames and none of them looked like that!!!

I agree with you. A product should not be sold like this. I said as much in my earlier posts. Having inspected it closely after cutting the fork down, I don’t think it’s unsafe to ride. Do I know that 100% for sure? No. But no one does unless they x-Ray their frames and forks.
Still, while I’m happy to ride this bike and choose to take the risk, I personally do not recommend this seller based on my own experience.
If I was given the choice again, I’d either buy from TanTan or go elsewhere.
The communication was always friendly and I did get a partial refund. But the seller did not really seem to acknowledge the problem.

Frank

« Reply #113 on: December 23, 2023, 08:15:58 AM »
The communication was always friendly and I did get a partial refund. But the seller did not really seem to acknowledge the problem.
This exactly matches my experiences with the seller. I too wouldn't buy there again. Would be interesting to know how TanTan handles cases of obvious deficiencies like my very much unround steerer tube.

Sebastian

« Reply #114 on: January 03, 2024, 12:18:21 PM »
1000km update.
Despite what it looks like in the pic, I've ridden this bike almost exclusively in very cold, very windy and very wet weather.
No issues.
The slipping seatpost seems fixed. I marked it with tape and it hasn't moved in several hundred kilometres now. So hopefully it's sorted.
The brakes are working very well now. The discs and pads took a while to get properly bedded in bc I live in a flat area so I don't brake much to begin with. Add to that the fact that I did a lot of indoor riding, it took some time. But now they work super nice. No squealing. Great modulation.

I'm happy with my fit on this bike now. I feel at home when riding it.
My impression is that it is fast in a straight line. No question.
Cornering is also very confidence inspiring on this bike - also because of the wider tires.
It's very stiff. The only area where I see a lack in stiffness is the headtube area under sprinting efforts. I am by no means a powerful sprinter. But particularly when the speed gets higher in sprints, north of 55 kph, I got it to wobble slightly when pulling on the drops. But that's me being picky.
In terms of compliance it feels slightly imbalanced. The rear feels quite comfy but the front can feel pretty harsh when going over rough roads - despite the headtube not being super stiff. I guess it's just a result of the tube shapes, the geometry and the fact that this frame probably doesn't have a super sophisticated layup in the carbon.

Also, my impression still is that this is not a frame well suited to climbing. Whenever I go uphill, it just doesn't feel that quick. I'm not necessarily slower than on my other bike but it kind of feels that way, despite having my position sorted now. Not sure why that is. It very much feels like a no compromise aero bike in that way.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 12:56:37 PM by Sebastian »

Frank

« Reply #115 on: January 08, 2024, 05:56:30 AM »
I finished my build too :) Weight without pedals is 7.8kg.

neobiker

« Reply #116 on: January 08, 2024, 07:01:29 AM »
Nice paint. Not certain about the decals though xD.

Sebastian

« Reply #117 on: January 08, 2024, 10:45:25 AM »
I finished my build too :) Weight without pedals is 7.8kg.

Did you end up doing anything to your fork steerer or was it fine after you cut it down?

Frank

« Reply #118 on: January 08, 2024, 11:36:50 AM »
Did you end up doing anything to your fork steerer or was it fine after you cut it down?
Since I had to sand it down at two places quite a bit to make the cockpit-stem fit, I gave it to a carbon repair guy who glued in an alloy insert that goes down far below the headset bearing.

jonathanf2

« Reply #119 on: January 08, 2024, 11:59:38 AM »
I see you went with mechanical disc brakes. They sell some high tension gold brake cables on AliEx that work really well if you plan on keeping them.