Author Topic: TanTan TT-X38 Build  (Read 14829 times)

Frank

Re: TanTan TT-X38 Build
« Reply #120 on: January 08, 2024, 12:08:31 PM »
I see you went with mechanical disc brakes. They sell some high tension gold brake cables on AliEx that work really well if you plan on keeping them.
I used Jagwire cables, which I was quite happy with in the past. But can you post the link to the gold cables please?

jonathanf2

« Reply #121 on: January 08, 2024, 02:05:58 PM »
I used Jagwire cables, which I was quite happy with in the past. But can you post the link to the gold cables please?

You can shop around, but I believe this store is the OEM that makes them. Just make sure to order the road version and get the right length of cables for the front and rear:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804589342357.html

When I installed them, I noticed a bit more tension/spring back on my Juin Tech F1 brakes. Also visually they look a bit more premium! Lol

I attached a photo of how they look on my bike.

Frank

« Reply #122 on: January 08, 2024, 03:51:05 PM »
You can shop around, but I believe this store is the OEM that makes them. Just make sure to order the road version and get the right length of cables for the front and rear:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804589342357.html

When I installed them, I noticed a bit more tension/spring back on my Juin Tech F1 brakes. Also visually they look a bit more premium! Lol

I attached a photo of how they look on my bike.
Thanks, but unfortunately the link doesn't work for me, I just get "page couldn't be found".  The cable looks very good!

jonathanf2

« Reply #123 on: January 08, 2024, 06:23:11 PM »
Thanks, but unfortunately the link doesn't work for me, I just get "page couldn't be found".  The cable looks very good!

Just look up "CNC Gold Road Shift Cable Bicycle Shifter Line Wire" in your search engine or search up chooee Official Store on AliExpress. I was going to swap my shifters to Ultegra hydraulic, but when I tried these cables and picked up semi-metallic finned pads (recently released on AliEx) for my Juin Tech F1 calipers, they now brake so well I haven't felt a need to replace them yet. My Ultegra shifters/hydraulic calipers have just been sitting in shoe box! Lol

Sebastian

« Reply #124 on: January 09, 2024, 12:24:08 AM »
Are these much stiffer as in harder to bend and harder to route around tight turns?
I'd like to make the rear brake on my rim brake bike less spongy. But since the cable is completely internally routed, compressionless housing is not really an option.

Frank

« Reply #125 on: January 09, 2024, 12:56:46 AM »
Just look up "CNC Gold Road Shift Cable Bicycle Shifter Line Wire" in your search engine or search up chooee Official Store on AliExpress. I was going to swap my shifters to Ultegra hydraulic, but when I tried these cables and picked up semi-metallic finned pads (recently released on AliEx) for my Juin Tech F1 calipers, they now brake so well I haven't felt a need to replace them yet. My Ultegra shifters/hydraulic calipers have just been sitting in shoe box! Lol
Thanks I found them! In case I won't be satisfied with the performance of my brakes I will for sure try them out.

Frank

« Reply #126 on: January 09, 2024, 12:59:49 AM »
Are these much stiffer as in harder to bend and harder to route around tight turns?
I'd like to make the rear brake on my rim brake bike less spongy. But since the cable is completely internally routed, compressionless housing is not really an option.
I have combined compressionless with regular housing in the tight turns.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 05:15:47 AM by Frank »

jonathanf2

« Reply #127 on: January 09, 2024, 11:50:17 AM »

It's not a huge difference, but the brake cable appears to be a bit more robust. I think on a rim brake bike, the brake feel would lessen a bit of the sponginess. I usually do a few firm pulls on mechanical brake cables to reduce any slack in the housing. Also I use heat shrink cable ends to minimize any fraying. To apply/remove just requires heat from a lighter or heat gun.

Frank

« Reply #128 on: January 18, 2024, 05:41:23 AM »
I made some TanTan decals. An EPS-file ready for plotting is attached in case anyone wants to have them too.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 05:43:06 AM by Frank »

c.etzo

« Reply #129 on: January 18, 2024, 05:43:15 AM »
i'm waiting for new wheelset and i post new photos of my build ;D

joegal

« Reply #130 on: January 18, 2024, 08:27:53 AM »
I made some TanTan decals. An EPS-file ready for plotting is attached in case anyone wants to have them too.

Looks way better than before, probs for keeping it real!  8)

neobiker

« Reply #131 on: January 18, 2024, 12:41:27 PM »

Looks stunning!

patliean1

« Reply #132 on: January 30, 2024, 11:25:57 AM »
I can confirm that 32c tires will fit without fear of rubbing. Which is opposite of what I said months ago. Not sure how I messed that up, but perhaps I was using the wrong wheel/tire combo. Using 32c tires with anything less than 23mm internal wheels will most likely cause rubbing since the tires will have more of a bulbous effect. My original test was with 20mm internal wheels.

Wheels: 30mm external, 23mm internal
Tires: Conti GP5000 STR 32c, measures about 32.5mm at the tire

Sebastian

« Reply #133 on: January 30, 2024, 12:26:32 PM »
My wheels are 24mm wide internally. My Vittoria Corsa 28c tires pump up to just below 31mm. Ample clearance all the way around. I’ll post pics later on.

Sebastian

« Reply #134 on: February 01, 2024, 11:38:04 AM »
Here are the pics that I promised. As you can see, there's more than enough space. It might get close with a 32c tire at the driveside chainstay if it pumps up to somewhere north of 34mm. But other than that it should be fine.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 11:53:33 AM by Sebastian »