Author Topic: Mechanical flat mount brakes  (Read 1107 times)

jannmayer

Mechanical flat mount brakes
« on: September 29, 2023, 01:07:43 AM »
I'm building up a cheap drop-bar commuter and am looking at flat mount brakes. I'm going to go with cable-pull for cost reasons, and my commute isn't too demanding on the brakes.

I've heard good things about the TRP Spyres which move the pads on both sides, unlike most of the cheaper options. The Tektro MD-C550 is the OEM version and doesn't look as nice, but a pair is only about $85:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803636816000.html

I did find a cheaper Racework brake that looks like a similar design. It's about half the cost, and the finish isn't nearly as good. Anyone have any experience with these?
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804675810013.html

Not sure I want to mess with any of the cheaper cable/hydraulic hybrid options. Seems like there's more to go wrong there.

Maden

Re: Mechanical flat mount brakes
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2023, 03:04:11 PM »
Hybrid-hydraulic calipers are pretty reliable. From what I've seen in this thread http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,3333.30.html and Trace Velo's videos, the ZRACE BR-005 cable-actuated hydraulics are more than adequate and affordable at about 60 dollars a pair. A more pricey but well-proven option are Juintech F1s.

TRP Spyres are the go-to for fully mechanical. I'd think you'd be better off buying used than going for a Chiner knock-off of those.

Wet Noodle

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2023, 05:45:59 AM »
I'd personally vote against the TRP Spyre/Spyke solely because fiddling around with a hex key* to manually adjust for pad wear every few weeks (on both sides, of course) is such a massive pita. It drove me nuts; and it becomes so much worse when you have a bike with actual decent brakes (= hydros) at the same time to compare to.

Where fully hydraulic is not an option, I'd either research those cable to hydro converter thingies (no clue if there is a decent one you can actually buy or if that went nowhere) or try a hybrid caliper (still manual pad wear adjustment, but way less painful) or maybe, just maybe, research other mechanical options (but I didn't like my Avid BBs either).

It being flatmount (vs having to use an adapter) would be the very very lowest of my priorities.

* For clarification: I do know barrel adjusters, but they can only do so much. Also, the brake really starts to feel a little different, if you try to utilise the whole motion range of the swing arm for adjustment - but it's still nowhere near enough to get through a full pad.

jonathanf2

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2023, 12:18:00 PM »
I wouldn't mess with anything other than Juin Tech F1s at the minimum. The ZRace/Onirii cable/hydraulic calipers suck and need constant fiddling. If not Juin Tech, I would just get the new Sensah HRD Empire or SRX groupsets.

lavistaa

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2023, 08:13:08 PM »
Juintech and noncompression housing is the way.  Use them on many bikes, always reliable, zero maintenance except for pads.  Still on my og housings after 3 years (just used sealed, noncompression cables).  I ride hydro also and prefer the juintechs for really much better feel on our super bumpy/potholes, gravel rides. 

chughes

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2023, 07:54:35 AM »
Go with the ONIRII Hydraulic Disc Brake, they are about 60 USD on aliexpress. Find them better than Juin Tech [quicker braking, stronger bolts). My experience with Juin tech was that in a less than 6 months, one of the calipers started to leak. Its also easier to get customer service and they actually come with instructions. The version they offer eats less brake pads than the ones offered by Zrace [older version of ZRACE Hydraulic Disc Brake )

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2023, 08:57:39 AM »
Just get some second hand Shimano hydraulic brakes and save yourself from a lot of headaches... I wish I had instead of trying to make those hybrid callipers to work... In the end I bought GRX and it is night and day difference.

You can find Ultegra 11 speed pretty cheap these days since a lot of people are upgrading to 12 speed

jonathanf2

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2023, 11:48:56 AM »
Just get some second hand Shimano hydraulic brakes and save yourself from a lot of headaches... I wish I had instead of trying to make those hybrid callipers to work... In the end I bought GRX and it is night and day difference.

You can find Ultegra 11 speed pretty cheap these days since a lot of people are upgrading to 12 speed

My Juin Tech F1s with fin pads have actually been really good. Even though I have Ultegra hydraulic shifters ready for install, I haven't been in a rush to swap them out.

Saying that, with the prices dropping if buying new there really isn't any reason not to go hydraulic now either with Shimano/SRAM and especially with Sensah's new HRD (I'll take those any day over LTwoo).

jannmayer

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2023, 12:27:09 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback! It's interesting how there's such a range of opinions on the cable/hydraulic brakes.

Anyways, I found a cheap used pair of Tektro MD-C550 calipers (OEM version of the TRP Spyre) on eBay so I'm going to give those a shot. I will make sure to get good compressionless housing. I figure they will be adequate for my short commute.

kubackje

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2023, 07:07:48 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback! It's interesting how there's such a range of opinions on the cable/hydraulic brakes.

Anyways, I found a cheap used pair of Tektro MD-C550 calipers (OEM version of the TRP Spyre) on eBay so I'm going to give those a shot. I will make sure to get good compressionless housing. I figure they will be adequate for my short commute.

I use trp spyre c with semi metalic pads for over 4 years now. I am a big strong dude and use this bike in all kind of gravel and singletracks. From flat rides, fast races, to ultra and mountian 200+ km events. When properly adjusted and jagwire compressionless housings those brakes never let me down.