Author Topic: Need help: race/aggressive gravel frame  (Read 1387 times)

chineesje

Need help: race/aggressive gravel frame
« on: October 08, 2023, 03:34:00 AM »
Hey!

I'm looking to build a gravel bike do some gravel races but i'm having some troubles finding the right fit. My current gravelbike is a carbonda 696 and it's super comfortable but I'm missing the aggressive, snappy feel. My eye fell on the Yishunbike G095D but I noticed it's weight is significantly higher than for example a Lightcarbon LCG071 (wich is unfortunately also more of a comfort frame). Also in comparison to for example a canyon grail (wich is a performance based gravel bike), it's geometry is still not that aggressive. Comfort and mounting points are less important because I have raced bikes since I was a kid. I know there are some 'all road' options on the market but I would like to have space for 45mm tyres, since not every race has fast gravel. Am I missing some options here?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

kubackje

Re: Need help: race/aggressive gravel frame
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2023, 04:12:17 AM »

Hey!

I think airwolf yfr068 is something you are looking for. Officially it has 40mm clearance but people say it will fit 45. It is the same geometry like cervelo aspero. There is a whole thread about this bike here.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2023, 11:11:16 AM by kubackjeee »

chineesje

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2023, 08:18:00 AM »
Yes this could be an option. The thread is however scaring me a bit, the frame seems to have quite some small issues (fork rubbing, saddle post not inserting) whereas the carbonda frame was spotless. I will give it a look though, thanks!

kubackje

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2023, 11:12:19 AM »
From what it seems Airwolf already solved those problems.

kbernstein

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2023, 11:56:40 AM »
I'm with you, the YFR068 ticks all the boxes but I wouldn't order a frame that has so many QC issues

jannmayer

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2023, 01:17:04 AM »
The Carbonda 707 might be an option. It's a longer frame than the 696 but has similar tire clearance.

zilcho

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2023, 09:18:05 AM »
Clearance for 45mm and aggressive geo is difficult to find, there really isn't an open mold equivalent to the Crux. If you are willing to drop to 40mm or 42mm there are a few options. Personally I think 40mm is enough for the gravel I'm interested in, if I need more tire I'd probably rather be on a mountain bike at that point or pick a different route. 

I was also looking at the YFR068 but decided against it because the issues in the thread, plus I've had a policy of not buying frames that are just copies. Their other offering, the YFR066 seems more interesting to me but is closer to all-road with clearance for 40mm, maybe 42mm. Lightcarbon and Yishun has a few options in that range, plus the updated Carbonda CFR505.

Noladutch

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2023, 09:37:21 AM »
Well race is  up to you and set up.

The worlds were won yesterday on a un released Merida that looks shockingly like a jena or a gr047 from tantan. Dont know the geometry of it but it was size or two too small with a huge stem and an extremely long seat post. Certainly looks like a bike packing frame to me.

It has more to do with set up and the engine pushing the pedals.

Weight and aero are not real deal breakers because strength is more important and how fast are you really going?

Google mohoric's bike That won the rainbow jersey the other day. He ran a road group. 2x dura ace

Now I love that dropper post mad man mohoric.

chineesje

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2023, 10:26:31 AM »
Haha I understand what you're saying but looking at it like that, you could go as far as buying a second hand V brake cx bike, wich will also do the job  ;) but it's not what I'm looking for. An adventure gravel bike feels significantly different as compared to a performance based gravel bike, I don't think there's much discussion about that. If I want to race, I want to give myself the best chance at riding a good result and I think the bike plays a role in that (you are definitely right that the legs are far more important).

I guess as Zilcho is saying, finding a frame with all these properties may be impossible in the current oem market...

I will keep looking around and all suggestions are welcome!

Cnasta

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2023, 12:56:33 PM »
You mention the Yishunbike G095D. Guess that would be the best choice (that, or endurance roadbikes I guess). Weight might be a bit high, but unsure how much we're talking here (compared to a Gizl, Specialized whatever$$ or Cervelo Aspero)?

Slap on a long stem, lightweight wheel and you're good to go?

ehvoo

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2023, 02:48:55 PM »
I have been quite happy with the GF-001 from Velobuild.  I've had it for a few years now and it's been pretty solid.   I've done several gravel races, few CX races, and I also use it as my winter road bike.  I've been looking at newer frames that have a little more tire clearance and a round seatpost, but not liking anything but maybe the tantan G047 or LightCarbon's latest offering, and I'm not digging the full internal cable routing thing.

This frame is still avaiable and I believe you can get it from spcycle or tantan as well.  It comes with replaceable dropouts, so you can even switch from QR to Thru Axle in the rear.  I raced 40mm Michelin Gravel Power tires without issue.  You can probably fit 42s on there, but for me, the limiting factor was my front di2 derailleur rubbed on the rear tire.  If you go 1x or maybe a mechanical front mech, you could probably go bigger than 700x40c.  The only thing I don't like about the frame is the seat post is not round.  I've had the post slip twice, both times after doing maintenance where I needed to remove the seatpost.  Even with carbon paste, the wedge design is a little finiky.  Once it gets seated, it doesn't move, but it's still an anoyance. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 07:47:28 PM by ehvoo »

WhityWhite

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2023, 10:38:28 AM »
two years ago I was looking for the same style of bike as you.

At that time, I had no idea about bike building. Or even Chinese frames.

I bought the Leeze Gravel One.
A few months ago I then found out that it is the ican gra02.

https://icancycling.com/products/gravel-bike-frame-gra02

I've also ridden it this year in various road races with road bike tires, because I had sold my road bike in the spring.

My feeling is that it is a really great race gravel.

I have attached a few pictures.
From today's ride it is still a little dirty